masaleiro

Logitech webcams

Thu May 24, 2012 1:36 am

Hi everyone! I've been trying to connect USB webcams to the RasPi but I didn't succeed yet. I tried with a Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks and with a Logitech C510 and both of them are recognized when using lsusb. However no /dev/video* device is created with any of them. I tried building the kernel headers as described here: http://mchr3k-arduino.blogspot.pt/2012/ ... gress.html and then ran module-assistant to install the qc-usb module. I also tried to download the qc-usb-source package and install it manually using make but still no progress :\ Any suggestions? Is there any info that I can post to make it easier for you guys to help wit this issue? Thanks in advance :) Btw I'm using the Debian Squeeze distro.

mpmc

Re: Logitech webcams

Thu May 24, 2012 5:23 am

From looking online, the qc-usb driver requires V4L support, the official Debian distro kernel/OS does not include V4L support by default, I tried everything possible to build support using the official image, but it would just complain about things being missing, I ended up building my own kernel with V4L support.

You could try building your own kernel (like I did) or you could try the arch distro or as a last resort (and I can't stress this enough!) you could try my image of Debian unstable with V4L support (see my homepage), which I don't recommend as there is no GUI or anything like the official distro.

Hope this helps.

MarcRoberts

Thu May 24, 2012 3:59 pm

I found that while Arch did seem to create the /dev/video0 device for my logitech C910, video captured with it (in motion) was corrupted and messed up regardless of what settings I used. I ended up back at Debian and compiling a new kernel with support for it. It wasn't difficult, just takes some time so I left the Pi compiling it overnight.

masaleiro

Fri May 25, 2012 12:37 am

Thanks a lot for your replies! :) I guess I'll follow your advises and try with a kernel with v4l support. mpmc I think I'll try your kernel version first. I just need to get the webcams, python and ssh working. The lack of a graphical interface isn't a big deal. I've been using linux (ubuntu) for 3 years now but I haven't tried compiling kernels on my own yet (maybe the RasPi will make me do it and I'll learn something new :) ). I already tried with archlinux but the cameras didn't create any /dev/video* device. When I try the kernel I'll let you guys now if it worked :) Thanks!

masaleiro

Fri May 25, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks a lot for your replies! :) I guess I'll follow your advises and try with a kernel with v4l support. mpmc I think I'll try your kernel version first. I just need to get the webcams, python and ssh working. The lack of a graphical interface isn't a big deal. I've been using linux (ubuntu) for 3 years now but I haven't tried compiling kernels on my own yet (maybe the RasPi will make me do it and I'll learn something new :) ). I already tried with archlinux but the cameras didn't create any /dev/video* device. When I try the kernel I'll let you guys now if it worked :) Thanks!

jezmck

Wed May 30, 2012 10:42 pm

Is there really no way to do it without creating a new kernel?!

bjs

Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 am

I have not tried to use a webcam with my RPi yet but I had a similar problem with Ubuntu on my Dell laptop. It turned out that not all CCD chips in webcams are supported by the Linux drivers. I bought 3 cheap webcams from a supermarket and found that one worked and the others did not. Before you get serious with the kernel I suggest that you find out what chip is in your camera and check on the web to see if it is supported by Linux

I hope that helps ;)

masaleiro

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi again! I gave up on the Debian Squeeze and moved to Arch Linux. I got the webcam streaming with mjpg-streamer at a decent framerate with the resolution of 320x480 but most of the times the frames come out corrupted (weird colors, image blocks in wrong places, blocks with different lighting). The two Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks work fine on my laptop with Ubuntu. Does anyone have a clue on how to solve the problem? I've read somewhere that some cameras do that with mjpg-streamer under low light conditions but they still do it with good light conditions and in Ubuntu there is no problem at all under any conditions when I open the camera with VLC. I also have a Logitech C510 but although it's recognized in lsusb it doesn't create any /dev/video* device. The problem I get is very similar to what you can see in this video that I found in youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_M_C-PQkKc Any suggestions?

masaleiro

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 pm

I ran some more tests on connecting logitech webcams with and without hub (Genesys Logic) and streaming with mjpg_streamer in arch linux and here's the summary:

Raspberry Pi + Quickcam C510 = OK

Raspberry Pi + Quickcam for Notebooks = Works but images come corrupted

Raspberry Pi + 2x Quickcam C510 = Only one webcam works. The other is recognized but can't stream it (not enough power?).

Raspberry Pi + 2x Quickcam for Notebooks = Both streams work but with corrupted images.

Raspberry Pi + Quickcam C510 + Quickcam for Notebooks = Both streams work, but the one from the Quickcam for notebooks has corrupted images.

Raspberry Pi + USB hub + Quickcam C510 = works with corrupted images (less corrupted than the streams from the quickcam for notebooks)

Raspberry Pi + USB hub + 2x Quickcam C510 = works but both streams have corrupted images.

Ubuntu laptop + USB hub + Quickcam C510 = works

Any suggestions on what may be causing the problems?

BPK

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:04 pm

I have been recording my attempts at getting a webcam here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 458#p94458

I was using a Logitech C310 which appeared installed ok and worked with xawtv however I could not get it working with ffmpeg and I kept on seeing the following in the dmesg log:

Code: Select all

15:3:1: cannot set freq 16000 to ep 0x86
15:3:2: cannot set freq 24000 to ep 0x86
15:3:3: cannot set freq 32000 to ep 0x86
15:3:4: cannot set freq 48000 to ep 0x86
I did find an article that suggested this was a problem with Logitech webcams working on Linux - http://www.techytalk.info/logitech-e350 ... o-ep-0x86/

I tried to put the patch in but still had the same problem.

In the end I switched to a very basic webcam which appeared to work, but only when I chose a specific resolution.

Hope this helps
Barnaby Kent
http://www.pi-cars.com
Control your radio controlled car through your Raspberry Pi

HellMind

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:06 pm

I want to use rbpi to stream a webcam throught ip
maybe I could make it work at 720p @30fps using c910 logitech

Would be possible?

ashigupta

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 am

hii all...

is any one able to recompile debian kernel with v4l support...plz tell me how to enable v4l for debian....

Oric Tosh

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:49 am

Hi,
I believe the support for USB webcams has been added to the latest Kernel img

I managed to get a Logitech C250 webcam working with raspbian with the V4L driver
I used the following apt-get commands from a terminal
sudo apt-get update and apt-get upgrade

Also ensured that the cam was getting enough power from my hub and not back feeding power (cut the red wire inside USB lead) to raspberry. I have also seen blog posts showing a method about pulling down the img from the raspberry pi git hub and replacing the one on the SD card.
https://github.com/raspberrypi
Mine worked using the apt-get commands and a modified USB lead to which the pi was connected.

Return to “Troubleshooting”