dorfird

Vertical hold problem when booting in NOOBS

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:09 pm

I've hooked my Pi up to a Zenith TV, model sms2049s. I'm using a converter and VGA cable. Previously I used this setup with a preloaded Raspbian Wheezy card I got from Adafruit, and the display was OK, but I wanted to try NOOBS. Followed the steps in the quick start guide, pressed 3, and now I get a display where the vertical hold is not working. I.e., the image is continuously scrolling down the TV screen too quickly to read. This TV does not seem to have a vertical hold adjustment, and I just searched through a manual for it online but vertical hold did not return any hits. Suggestions?

Thanks.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Vertical hold problem when booting in NOOBS

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Have you tried pressing '4' I can't remember which is which but that's switching between PAL and NTSC... Which country are you in?

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

dorfird

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:06 am

I'm in the US. I'll try that next.

dorfird

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Pressing 4 worked. Then I told the system to use it as the default visual setting and told NOOBS to install Raspbian. It completed the install and I clicked OK or whatever for the dialog at the end. Then my TV went to displaying snow. I tried power cycling the Pi and still snow.

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Option 4 is for analog composite video from the yellow RCA socket.

If you're using a digital HDMI to VGA converter you'd want it to generate an HDMI signal.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

dorfird

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm using a converter which outputs to the yellow socket, and audio to red and white sockets. On the other end, it plugs into the TV's coaxial socket.

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:17 pm

dorfird wrote:I'm using a converter which outputs to the yellow socket, and audio to red and white sockets. On the other end, it plugs into the TV's coaxial socket.
It needs to plug into the TV's AUX/composite IN socket, not the RF coax. It's like a Playstation or Wii or Xbox, so connects the same way you'd connect one of those.

The time to buy a new flat screen HDMI TV is NOW!
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

drgeoff

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:01 pm

Is the OP using a modulator (which he calls a converter)? Video and audio into phono sockets and RF out going into the TV's antenna socket. Mention of "snow" suggests the TV is set to an RF channel not baseband AV input.

That Zenith is quite old but the manual for a sms2047w indicates that there are phono sockets for baseband video and mono audio on the same part of the back-panel as the antenna socket.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Return to “Troubleshooting”