imiles1981

Car stereo - Raspbmc question

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:42 am

HI guys,

I am completely new to all of this so I do apologise for any lack of knowledge that I may display!

My little project that I have tasked myself with, is to create a fully functional head unit using just a raspberry pi where I can connect the wiring loom from my car straight in to the back of the head unit, in essence, the Pi, all boards and switches will be contained within this one unit, including the 7" lilliput on the front.

Hardware wise, everything is looking possible and I am looking forward to buying all of the components and getting started, however I have a few questions regarding the software aspect of Raspbmc (XBMC). I am aiming to control everything from the monitor that will ultimately sit on the front which will be a touch screen lilliput, however is it possible to connect an iPhone running iOS 7.0.4 via USB, and play the music on that phone, if not, is there any alternative software that will interface with the phone.

The only other alternative I have is to control the system using the XBMC remote on the phone however I want to remove using the phone from the solution all together so if there is some way to play the music on the phone through the Pi without using AirPi then that would be great.

Any suggestions you guys can give would be great. Thanks for your help in advance.

Ian

obcd

Re: Car stereo - Raspbmc question

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:16 pm

however I want to remove using the phone from the solution all together
It's rather confusing.
You want to play the music on your phone and remove the phone from the solution?
DLNA works with a server - controller - renderer setup. The 3 unit's can be on different hardware.
So basically, your Pi with touchscreen can be server and controller and your phone can function as renderer. (Playing the sound)

imiles1981

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:22 pm

The law is that you cannot use your mobile while driving, in essence, I want to be able to play the music and media from the iPhone using the Pi, so like a normal head unit would list the playlists and media and play them on the head unit, I want the Pi to do the same.

I hope that makes sense.

LateDev

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 pm

imiles1981 wrote: The only other alternative I have is to control the system using the XBMC remote on the phone however I want to remove using the phone from the solution all together so if there is some way to play the music on the phone through the Pi without using AirPi then that would be great.
Ian
I believe the above should read as:
The only other alternative I have is to control the system using the XBMC remote on the phone, however I want to remove using the phone from the solution as a controller, and just wish to play music directly through the Pi without using AirPi .
To help where possible, and always to learn.

imiles1981

Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Ok, so my apologies for the inaccurate wording... As I stated I am new to the raspberry pi system and don't know the correct terminology for it, if it would be called a controller in this instance then yes, I want to remove the phone as a controller and do it all from the Pi, is that possible?

obcd

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:15 pm

The terminology isn't raspberry pi related. It's the DLNA way of defining the system components.
I am not an apple user myself, but I am sure some will be able to answer your question.
A DLNA approach would use your iphone as server only and the Pi as controller and rederer.
Be aware that the analog output of the Pi isn't having a very good quality, and ground loop problems can make the audio noisy, even if you use an usb 2 audio adapter. You can use an audio isolation transformer to avoid this noise. Further, you will need a buffer battery for your Pi or a buck - boost voltage converter. During starting of the car, the battery voltage can go below 5V.

AJB2K3

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:14 am

FYI, its a little know fact that it is also an offence to operate a car stereo whilst driving !

Offense : Driving without due care and attention!

And there is a record of accidents cause by people fiddling with there stereo, however I am also interested in what your doing but I have a few issues of my own (Hardware wise)

What to use as a 200W 4 channel amp (4X50W) My speakers are 80W alpines but I have always run them at 50 (not that the headunit will ever get to full power).

The other issue you have is the apple black magic that allows communication between devices for playing music stored on iphones.

All I can say is that it was hacked in the early FW and the system was changed just before the change from FW to IOS
Back in the old days, we were smarter then the technology.
Nowadays technology makes us look like villages fools in front of the children!

imiles1981

Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:43 am

That's true indeed, it is an offence to use the stereo, I forgot that one but I think you get my point which is good, thanks.

For the amp situation, I noticed another post about circuit boards from home stereos, but to be honest you would need some sort of gain control to manage the volume of the amp so I'm thinking a head unit stored under the seat or stripped out and put into the same unit might do it providing it has a aux input.

That way you can switch the system on and it goes straight to aux and off you go!

LateDev

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:52 pm

imiles1981 wrote:Ok, so my apologies for the inaccurate wording... As I stated I am new to the raspberry pi system and don't know the correct terminology for it, if it would be called a controller in this instance then yes, I want to remove the phone as a controller and do it all from the Pi, is that possible?
I merely tried to explain what you had said for the benefit of others that had not understood :)
To help where possible, and always to learn.

imiles1981

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:32 pm

I appreciate that Latedev, still trying to get used to the terminology! Thanks for doing that though

Return to “Troubleshooting”