roadhog6095

Marine Hub - Web Cam Problem

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Hello,

I'm new to raspberry Pi, but am trying to setup a computer to control a Marine Fish tank, and a part of that is to install a webcam to monitor the tank.

I've watched lots of tutorials on setting up a webcam with a raspberry Pi, and so far have managed to get it working from within my internal network. I have a static IP set on the Pi and Motion running on start-up. i can access the camera from my iphone when connected to my wifi and it works great.

The next step was to allow access from outside my network, so i opened up the required port and added the pi as a device on my routers settings.I followed a specific youtuve tutorial for this as i found one for my BT homehub router. As far as i can tell from the research i have done this should now work from outside the network, but it doesnt.

The port i am using is 8081, is there anything i am missing here? i have read about setting up a dns to be able to type in a web address to view the camera, but for the app i want to use this is not neccessary as i know the IP address.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

obcd

Re: Marine Hub - Web Cam Problem

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Are you connecting to the external ip adress?
Are you sure your internet provider allows you to have a server listening on port 8081?
Some internet providers block ranges of ports, as a user connection is optimised for downloading traffic and not uploading traffic.

You could also have another firewall setting that blocks that port.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:36 pm

1. You need to know your public IP address and if it changes.
2. You need to fiddle with your router to port forward 8081 on your RPi to an external port.
3. You need to have strong security on your RPi if it is open to the public Internet.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

roadhog6095

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:57 am

i have done all that has been suggested, all that i can think then is that my provider blocks porting out 8081. does anyone know if BT does this?

If this is the case, do you know if i can just adjust the conf file for motion on my raspberry Pi and port forward setting to another port that may not be blocked for forwarding, or is it that to use a webcam you need to use the specific port 8081?

Cheers,

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:16 pm

I don't think many land-line based (ADSL) suppliers block any ports on your system.

The problem lies in your BT Home Hub Router. You need to configure it for two things.
1. A fixed IP address for your RPi

Depending how your Home Hub works you may be able to configure that in /etc/network/interfaces else you have to assign an address to the hardware MAC address that your Home Hub can see when your RPi is connected.

2. Port forwarding for port 8081 on your RPi's fixed NAT address to an Internet port on your public Internet address.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8790/c/
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

redhawk

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Port 8081 is too close to 8080 which is commonly used for proxy connections something ISP tend to kick fuss about.
Try changing your port number to something random like 3141 or 4242 and see if your traffic gets through.

Richard S.

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Port 8082 is near port 8081 and just about as related to it as port 8080.

There's a 64K range only the first 1023 ports have pre-defined services (and on some operating systems need root (UID(0)) permissions). All others are only defined by convention.

If BT blocks 8080 or 8081 they'll block all the others.

Stop trying to confuse folks with your port obfuscation crap.

Mortimer

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm

What BT HomeHub is it?
If it is HomeHub v3A (like mine) then port forwarding is badly broken, and despite promising to, BT never fixed it. Works in a v3B though.
Don't know about the new HH v4 or v5, hopefully since fixing port forwarding for HH v3B they didn't break it again.
HH v1.5 whihc I had previously to the v3A port forwarding worked fine. I don't know about v1 and v2, although there wasn't much forum noise about them being problematic in this respect.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

DougieLawson

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Mortimer wrote:What BT HomeHub is it?
If it is HomeHub v3A (like mine) then port forwarding is badly broken, and despite promising to, BT never fixed it. Works in a v3B though.
Will BT swap out a broken HH for a good one at no charge? Or do they require a pound of flesh?

I'm on BT's (aluminium) wires but my router is a Cicso/Linksys ADSL2+ and my ISP is http://ifb.net. They keep promising FTTC but that hasn't happened. I'm not holding my breath waiting for FTTH.

Mortimer

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:02 pm

They did a couple of times when I was having serious bandwidth problems. It turned out to be bad street cabling, but since then any requests for replacement have fallen on deaf ears. My last move was also extremely farcical which resulted in me being stitched into signing a contract extension I didn't need, and getting BroadBand Option 3 (11Mbps) rather than the Infinity (37Mbps) I was on before, for the same price!!!! I moved 100m to a property on the last non-FTTC cabinet in the area!!. I am counting down the days to contract expiry, when I will go over to Virgin who have a strong fibre presence in my neighbourhood.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

roadhog6095

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:26 pm

thanks for your replies,

i have BT home hub version 3 Type B, so as described above this should work. although im still experiencing problems. the Raspberry pi has been setup with a fixed IP. i have setup a device on my router and forwarded the correct port and linked the two together. i have also placed my raspberry pi in the DMZ on my router.

I have tested the port by using http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and entering my external IP address and the port i forwarded and it comes back open.

but for some reason when i ry to view my raspberry pi using a camera viewer app on my phone it doesnt work. this will work though when im connected to my internal network and view it this way. I cant view it on a pc either externally even though the port is apparently open.

any advice on anything else i can test? as far as i can tell it should work so my only other option is to wipe my SD card and start again i think.

cyrano

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Mortimer wrote:which resulted in me being stitched into signing a contract extension I didn't need...
Maybe you could use this to get out of your contract?

http://cryptome.org/2013/12/Full-Disclosure.pdf

I mean, now that we know that RSA is on the NSA's payroll...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/ ... C220131220

DougieLawson

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:23 pm

What software runs the camera?
Does is bind it's listener socket with INADDR_ANY or does it bind just on the local address?

Return to “Troubleshooting”