Stokestack

Any word on the missed-keystrokes/repeating keys problem?

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:42 pm

I've updated my Raspbian, and my Pi is still essentially unusable because of missed keystrokes and repeating keys. I've tried swapping the port that the keyboard is plugged into, and even dual-powering the thing with an external power supply and battery power through a dock connected to the USB port.

There have been threads about this since last year.

Thanks for any info.

redhawk

Re: Any word on the missed-keystrokes/repeating keys problem

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:28 pm

Could you try using an externally powered USB hub and see if that helps.

Richard S.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:20 am

This issue should be pretty much entirely fixed in all cases, so not sure what is happening. We've not had reports of this issue for some time (that I am aware of).

So, ensure you are definitely the latest firmware (sudo rpi-update), the latest raspbian, your power supply is adequate and your USB cable is decent.

Also, if you have a different wired keyboard, try that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

pluggy

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Change the keyboard, some keyboards still bounce keys. Hint, the plainer the keyboard the better. I have a motley collection of USB keyboards, all but my posh Microsoft Sidewinder X4 work perfectly with a recent Image. It hasn't been a serious problem since the tail end of last year generally.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Stokestack

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:32 am

Thanks for the replies. And I have updated Raspbian.

I was using a Motorola Atrix dock, which is simply a USB keyboard, HDMI monitor, and battery in a laptop-looking clamshell; it makes a really cool monitor and keyboard combo for the Pi. Or, at least it would, if the keyboard were functioning properly. It is capable of powering the Pi from its internal battery, along with the monitor. So you basically have a Pi laptop.

I plugged the dock into my Mac, and the keyboard works fine. No missed keypresses or other problems. With the Pi, it's unusable because of missed presses and missed key-up signals (causing endlessly repeating characters). And I doubt the dock is defective, because I have two of them and they both behave the same way.

I plugged an Apple keyboard into the Pi and that seems to work reliably. But it means hauling a bulky keyboard around, in addition to the dock and the Pi, simply because of a balky USB port on the Pi. Does anyone know what the problem is with this thing?

Thanks.

1pi2much

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:30 am

Are you powering the pi from the dock?
That might be the problem. Try powering the PI using your regular PI power
supply while it is connected to the dock.

--

Stokestack

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:15 am

I tried using an external power supply. Then I tried using both at the same time.

Then I tried powering the Pi using only the dock but with the Apple keyboard, and that works. So power does not appear to be the problem.

pluggy

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:16 am

The problem is with the Pi's USB, as I said before change the keyboard if you value your sanity. A few quid/dollars/klebies from a supemarket or ebay or find an old one someone is throwing out. If you go back to the beginning of Pi (early 2012) you'd find the Apple keyboard probably wouldn't work either. The USB issues have improved immensely since then, but there are still problems with a few peripherals. I have half a dozen USB keyboards, all but my fancy Microsoft Sidewinder work without problems with a Pi. You'll probably find the powered hub won't improve things either, keyboards don't eat much each current. My Sidewinder with the backlighting full up is well within the capabilities of a Rev 1 Pi with intact USB polyfuses at 55 mA (remember those ?).
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Stokestack

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:24 am

I did. The Apple keyboard works.

It's just that this setup is rapidly becoming a bulky, cumbersome pain in the ass.

Return to “Troubleshooting”