eric_castro
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:24 am

hey guys if you are on a Raspi 2, make REALLY sure you're getting the right version.

I know, you did pay attention to the driver list but if you are like me, you most likely copied and pasted:

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu

to avoid "yyzz.tar.gz" and then pasted the incorrect remaining part like "20150307.tar.gz" and forgetting that the Raspi 2 files include also "-v7-" in the tarball filename

This resulted in repeatedly downloading the wrong version (the one for Raspi 1) and led me to think something was wrong with my Raspi 2. Instead I was looking at the correct driver for the correct kernel version, but always forgetting that "-v7-" which made me download the Raspi 1 version the whole time.

Other than that, big thanks MrEngman for such a great job on getting this thread updated regularly.

makissk
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:54 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:02 pm

Thank you, Eric Castro, and all members of this forum for your help. Downloading the correct driver is the key.
I can confirm that my TP-LINK TL-WN725N Ver 2.1 IS working on a RPi model B 2 rev 1.1, with the 20150307 tar file.
YES, THERE IS a ver 2.1.
Will try to come back in about a week for stability report, but so far, so good.

Greetings and thanks from Creta, Greece!

Makissk

edwin6938
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:51 am

Hi,

I have a pb with drivers.
First of all, when i had a former version of raspbian it worked, but since i put the latest version of raspbian (reformatteed the SD Card) it doesn't.

I use a basic Raspbian image and i have a 3.18.7+ #755 version.

So i downloaded the following driver 8188eu-20150212.tar.gz. After that i do tar -zxvf 8188eu-20150212.tar.gz, and i have 3 new files:
8188eu.ko
8188eu.conf
install.sh

I did 2 different ways to install :

Code: Select all

./install.sh
And

Code: Select all

sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a
I have no problem to install, i think... But my Wifi Key is not recognize when i do ifconfig!!!

Can you help me to understand why?

Thx

edwin6938
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:56 am

Hi,

I spent lot of time finding solution and this is when i posted on forum that i've found solution.

Actually, the problem came from the way i did it.

If you install the driver DO NOT do that from ssh!!! But directly from the rpi/keyboard/screen

However, i don't know why it works like this!

syrup_visuals
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi,

This is my first post

I have a raspi with kernel version 3.18.8-v7+ #2

I downloaded 8188eu-v7-20150227.tar.gz but of course I get the message "8188eu: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout", so what can I do now? Please help me I can't get it working!


BTW i've got a TL-WN725N Ver: 2.1



Thanks in advance

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:56 pm

edwin6938 wrote:Hi,

I spent lot of time finding solution and this is when i posted on forum that i've found solution.

Actually, the problem came from the way i did it.

If you install the driver DO NOT do that from ssh!!! But directly from the rpi/keyboard/screen

However, i don't know why it works like this!
I connect to all my pi's using SSH and install via SSH. No problems here.

Currently connected to a Pi A, Pi B+ and Pi B 2 all via SSH.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Massi
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 am

MrEngman wrote:I connect to all my pi's using SSH and install via SSH. No problems here.
+1

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:38 pm

syrup_visuals wrote:Hi,

This is my first post

I have a raspi with kernel version 3.18.8-v7+ #2

I downloaded 8188eu-v7-20150227.tar.gz but of course I get the message "8188eu: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout", so what can I do now? Please help me I can't get it working!


BTW i've got a TL-WN725N Ver: 2.1



Thanks in advance
Hi,

The modules I compile are for use with raspbian and the output you show for uname -a is not raspbian which is why the module will not load. What OS are you using?

I would first suggest you delete my driver you installed using commands

Code: Select all

sudo rm /lib/modules/3.18.8-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
sudo depmod 3.18.8-v7+
and then reboot.

I think most up to date OS versions now include a driver for the TL-WN725N but require a separate firmware file and the firmware file is not always included so the module will not run. After rebooting run command lsmod and see if shows r8188eu in the list of modules. You can also try command ifconfig and see if it shows wlan0 which would indicate the driver is loaded but your wifi connection may just need configuring. Configuring the wifi will depend on the OS you are using. If you see r8188eu in lsmod but do not see wlan0 in ifconfig you may need to load the firmware. If you do not see r8188eu in the lsmod output to check if your version includes this driver and the firmware try the two commands

Code: Select all

sudo find / -name r8188eu.ko
sudo find / -name rtl8188eufw.bin
If the driver is included I would expect you should see

Code: Select all

/lib/modules/3.18.8-v7+/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko
and if the firmware file is installed I would expect you should see

Code: Select all

/lib/firmware/rtlwifi.orig/rtl8188eufw.bin
If you see both commands return output showing the file names then your OS includes the built in driver and firmware files. If you see just the file r8188eu.ko but not the file rtl8188eufw.bin then you need to load the firmware file. You can load the firmware file using the two commands

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/b17edc5b73142e0de1698c2adaf3642e20e079b9/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
After installing the firmware you will need to reboot and check commands lsmod and ifconfig to see if the module is loaded. You will then need to configure your wifi to connect to your network but that will depend on the os you are using.

If the sudo find command above shows the file r8188eu.ko but you do not see it in the output of command lsmod then it may have been blacklisted, disabling it from loading, so you will need to check the files in directory /etc/modprobe.d/ to see if any of them contain a line "blacklist r8188eu". List the files in /etc/modprobe.d/ using command

Code: Select all

ls /etc/modprobe.d
Then you can check each file, especially file raspi-blacklist.conf, using the command

Code: Select all

cat /etc/modprobe.d/filename.conf
replacing filename with the name of each file in /etc/modprobe.d repeating the command for each file listed. If you find a file including the line "blacklist r8188eu" edit the file to remove that line then reboot the Pi.

If you do not see the driver and firmware files listed then you will need a module compiled for your OS so if you supply details of your OS including the full output of uname -a it would help.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

dretfulfluby
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:54 pm

I was using a cheap (£3.67) dongle:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331400872324? ... EBIDX%3AIT
and it was not recognised

The fix for me was about halfway down:
To help in installing or updating the driver @LaFambe has produced a very simple script available here which will automatically select and install the correct version of the driver for the version of Raspbian being used. I was quite impressed by it and it really does make life much simpler. You will need an internet connection for the script to work.

Thank you very much, LaFambe.
Thanks to both of you.

syrup_visuals
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:09 pm

MrEngman wrote:
syrup_visuals wrote:Hi,

This is my first post

I have a raspi with kernel version 3.18.8-v7+ #2

I downloaded 8188eu-v7-20150227.tar.gz but of course I get the message "8188eu: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout", so what can I do now? Please help me I can't get it working!


BTW i've got a TL-WN725N Ver: 2.1



Thanks in advance
Hi,

The modules I compile are for use with raspbian and the output you show for uname -a is not raspbian which is why the module will not load. What OS are you using?

I would first suggest you delete my driver you installed using commands

Code: Select all

sudo rm /lib/modules/3.18.8-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
sudo depmod 3.18.8-v7+
and then reboot.

I think most up to date OS versions now include a driver for the TL-WN725N but require a separate firmware file and the firmware file is not always included so the module will not run. After rebooting run command lsmod and see if shows r8188eu in the list of modules. You can also try command ifconfig and see if it shows wlan0 which would indicate the driver is loaded but your wifi connection may just need configuring. Configuring the wifi will depend on the OS you are using. If you see r8188eu in lsmod but do not see wlan0 in ifconfig you may need to load the firmware. If you do not see r8188eu in the lsmod output to check if your version includes this driver and the firmware try the two commands

Code: Select all

sudo find / -name r8188eu.ko
sudo find / -name rtl8188eufw.bin
If the driver is included I would expect you should see

Code: Select all

/lib/modules/3.18.8-v7+/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko
and if the firmware file is installed I would expect you should see

Code: Select all

/lib/firmware/rtlwifi.orig/rtl8188eufw.bin
If you see both commands return output showing the file names then your OS includes the built in driver and firmware files. If you see just the file r8188eu.ko but not the file rtl8188eufw.bin then you need to load the firmware file. You can load the firmware file using the two commands

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/b17edc5b73142e0de1698c2adaf3642e20e079b9/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
After installing the firmware you will need to reboot and check commands lsmod and ifconfig to see if the module is loaded. You will then need to configure your wifi to connect to your network but that will depend on the os you are using.

If the sudo find command above shows the file r8188eu.ko but you do not see it in the output of command lsmod then it may have been blacklisted, disabling it from loading, so you will need to check the files in directory /etc/modprobe.d/ to see if any of them contain a line "blacklist r8188eu". List the files in /etc/modprobe.d/ using command

Code: Select all

ls /etc/modprobe.d
Then you can check each file, especially file raspi-blacklist.conf, using the command

Code: Select all

cat /etc/modprobe.d/filename.conf
replacing filename with the name of each file in /etc/modprobe.d repeating the command for each file listed. If you find a file including the line "blacklist r8188eu" edit the file to remove that line then reboot the Pi.

If you do not see the driver and firmware files listed then you will need a module compiled for your OS so if you supply details of your OS including the full output of uname -a it would help.


MrEngman
First of all I would thank you for your incredible post!

uname -a results are

Code: Select all

Linux lsam 3.18.8-v7+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 9 14:11:05 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux


Im using a (i thought raspbian) from adafruit with a tft support already installed.
(http://adafruit-download.s3.amazonaws.c ... 150312.zip)

So to your suggestions,

I did

Code: Select all

sudo rm /lib/modules/3.18.8-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
sudo depmod 3.18.8-v7+
that went well, after the reboot the wifi module suddenly started flashing the led light,
but still no internet connection.

results for lsmod

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $  lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
evdev                  10014  1
joydev                  8903  0
ft6x06_ts               3673  0
snd_bcm2835            18850  0
snd_pcm                75404  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_seq                53074  0
snd_seq_device          5632  1 snd_seq
snd_timer              17780  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    51667  5 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device
i2c_bcm2708             4990  0
fb_ili9340              3451  1
spi_bcm2708             7922  0
r8188eu               435361  0
uio_pdrv_genirq         2958  0
uio                     8115  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
results for ifconfig


Code: Select all

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:15:c5:ff
          inet addr:192.168.1.32  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:948 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:159 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:94782 (92.5 KiB)  TX bytes:24123 (23.5 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1104 (1.0 KiB)  TX bytes:1104 (1.0 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 14:cc:20:26:9c:1c
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:178 errors:0 dropped:1350 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:178 errors:0 dropped:10 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:23674 (23.1 KiB)  TX bytes:27590 (26.9 KiB)
I tryed configuring with

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
thats what was in there

Code: Select all

uto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
So i changed it to

Code: Select all

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "NETGEAR86"
wpa-psk "mypassword"
So whats next ?

Oh yeah and I searched for Firmware and driver, got no results for firmare so I did your suggestion by loading firmware with:

Code: Select all

    sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
    sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/b17edc5b73142e0de1698c2adaf3642e20e079b9/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
UPDATE: I configured the wifi like it said here (http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ess-cli.md) changed back the /etc/network/interfaces file and it worked!!!! Thanks a lot! Out of curiosity, do you know what happened ? ^^

Thanks again for your help!

thk98
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:37 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 with Rasbian installed.
I did this:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /boot/8188eu-201xyyzz.tar.gz .
and

Code: Select all

tar -zxvf 8188eu-201xyyzz.tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
All went fine, but when I exeucuted this command,

Code: Select all

sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
it shows 'Invalid Module format'
I have already checked the kernel version twice by uname -a.
It is:
3.18.7-v7+ #755
I have downloaded the driver according to that. (20150212)
It's my first time tinkering around with Linux for drivers, so that makes me a noob. :P
Help me please?

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:34 pm

thk98 wrote:I have a Raspberry Pi 2 with Rasbian installed.
I did this:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /boot/8188eu-201xyyzz.tar.gz .
and

Code: Select all

tar -zxvf 8188eu-201xyyzz.tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
All went fine, but when I exeucuted this command,

Code: Select all

sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
it shows 'Invalid Module format'
I have already checked the kernel version twice by uname -a.
It is:
3.18.7-v7+ #755
I have downloaded the driver according to that. (20150212)
It's my first time tinkering around with Linux for drivers, so that makes me a noob. :P
Help me please?
Are you sure you downloaded the correct driver. There are now separate drivers for the new Pi B 2 using the arm7 processor, and all other older versions of the Pi using the arm6.

For the Pi B 2 you need 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz. Note the drivers for the Pi B 2 include an extra "-v7" in the driver name.

Also there is an additional NOTE: for the 3.18.xx+, 3.18.xx-v7+ drivers, immediately below the list of drivers in the OP, about installing , just to try and make things a little simpler.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:16 pm

syrup_visuals wrote:
First of all I would thank you for your incredible post!

uname -a results are

Code: Select all

Linux lsam 3.18.8-v7+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 9 14:11:05 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux


Im using a (i thought raspbian) from adafruit with a tft support already installed.
(http://adafruit-download.s3.amazonaws.c ... 150312.zip)

So to your suggestions,

I did

Code: Select all

sudo rm /lib/modules/3.18.8-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
sudo depmod 3.18.8-v7+
that went well, after the reboot the wifi module suddenly started flashing the led light,
but still no internet connection.

results for lsmod

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $  lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
evdev                  10014  1
joydev                  8903  0
ft6x06_ts               3673  0
snd_bcm2835            18850  0
snd_pcm                75404  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_seq                53074  0
snd_seq_device          5632  1 snd_seq
snd_timer              17780  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd                    51667  5 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device
i2c_bcm2708             4990  0
fb_ili9340              3451  1
spi_bcm2708             7922  0
r8188eu               435361  0
uio_pdrv_genirq         2958  0
uio                     8115  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
results for ifconfig


Code: Select all

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:15:c5:ff
          inet addr:192.168.1.32  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:948 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:159 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:94782 (92.5 KiB)  TX bytes:24123 (23.5 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1104 (1.0 KiB)  TX bytes:1104 (1.0 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 14:cc:20:26:9c:1c
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:178 errors:0 dropped:1350 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:178 errors:0 dropped:10 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:23674 (23.1 KiB)  TX bytes:27590 (26.9 KiB)
I tryed configuring with

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
thats what was in there

Code: Select all

uto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
So i changed it to

Code: Select all

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "NETGEAR86"
wpa-psk "mypassword"
So whats next ?

Oh yeah and I searched for Firmware and driver, got no results for firmare so I did your suggestion by loading firmware with:

Code: Select all

    sudo mkdir -p /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
    sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/b17edc5b73142e0de1698c2adaf3642e20e079b9/rtl8188eufw.bin -O /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin
UPDATE: I configured the wifi like it said here (http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio ... ess-cli.md) changed back the /etc/network/interfaces file and it worked!!!! Thanks a lot! Out of curiosity, do you know what happened ? ^^

Thanks again for your help!
I've really no definite idea. Might depend on the security used by your network. The format I showed for /etc/network/interfaces was for WPA/WPA2 security which is pretty standard these days, but may not be right for your network, but if you configured you wifi to use wpa_supplicant as per the link you posted then wpa_supplicant will determine for itself which security mode to use determined by what it detects the wifi network is using.

Other things causing connection issues are typos in the wifi network name or password. and even if everything is OK the wifi may be difficult to connect to depending on where your access point is in respect to your Pi, and interference from other devices, e.g. mobiles for example or other wifi networks, can cause issues connecting.

If you do have problems connecting to your wifi network a command that can help is

Code: Select all

sudo ifup --force wlan0
although it's not guaranteed to work although repeating the command can sometimes help if it doesn't work immediately.

Anyway glad I could be of some help. Have fun with your Pi.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

thk98
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:49 am

MrEngman wrote:
thk98 wrote:I have a Raspberry Pi 2 with Rasbian installed.
I did this:

Code: Select all

sudo mv /boot/8188eu-201xyyzz.tar.gz .
and

Code: Select all

tar -zxvf 8188eu-201xyyzz.tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
All went fine, but when I exeucuted this command,

Code: Select all

sudo insmod /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
it shows 'Invalid Module format'
I have already checked the kernel version twice by uname -a.
It is:
3.18.7-v7+ #755
I have downloaded the driver according to that. (20150212)
It's my first time tinkering around with Linux for drivers, so that makes me a noob. :P
Help me please?
Are you sure you downloaded the correct driver. There are now separate drivers for the new Pi B 2 using the arm7 processor, and all other older versions of the Pi using the arm6.

For the Pi B 2 you need 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz. Note the drivers for the Pi B 2 include an extra "-v7" in the driver name.

Also there is an additional NOTE: for the 3.18.xx+, 3.18.xx-v7+ drivers, immediately below the list of drivers in the OP, about installing , just to try and make things a little simpler.


MrEngman
Thanks for your help, I didn't download the 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz driver. Instead I download the Pi 1 driver. Just replaced the xyyzz and did not bother about ARMv7. :lol:

Michael100
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:32 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:07 pm

I installed the driver for version 3.18.7-v7+ but after I reboot and currently I still can't connect to wifi.

In the wpa_gui the status says: "Could not get status from wpa_supplicant".

Nothing appears when I click the drop down list next to Adapter also.
Help please! I hope it's something easy to fix, thanks.

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:57 pm

Michael100 wrote:I installed the driver for version 3.18.7-v7+ but after I reboot and currently I still can't connect to wifi.

In the wpa_gui the status says: "Could not get status from wpa_supplicant".

Nothing appears when I click the drop down list next to Adapter also.
Help please! I hope it's something easy to fix, thanks.
Please post the output of commands uname -a, lsusb, lsmod and the contents of files /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Hide any passwords in the files.

One way to see if your wifi is working even if you cannot connect to your network is to use the command

Code: Select all

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
This should display a list of wifi networks your Pi can detect if the wifi is working. If it is not working, or there is a problem with the wifi, it will display an error message.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Michael100
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:32 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:08 pm

MrEngman wrote:
Michael100 wrote:I installed the driver for version 3.18.7-v7+ but after I reboot and currently I still can't connect to wifi.

In the wpa_gui the status says: "Could not get status from wpa_supplicant".

Nothing appears when I click the drop down list next to Adapter also.
Help please! I hope it's something easy to fix, thanks.
Please post the output of commands uname -a, lsusb, lsmod and the contents of files /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. Hide any passwords in the files.

One way to see if your wifi is working even if you cannot connect to your network is to use the command

Code: Select all

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
This should display a list of wifi networks your Pi can detect if the wifi is working. If it is not working, or there is a problem with the wifi, it will display an error message.


MrEngman
I fixed it by accident while trying to address my "waiting up to 110 seconds for network" boot up issue (it tries to connect with ethernet). I went into /etc/interfaces/network and put added "auto wlan0" and it automatically connects now!

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36568
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Michael100 wrote:
I fixed it by accident while trying to address my "waiting up to 110 seconds for network" boot up issue (it tries to connect with ethernet). I went into /etc/interfaces/network and put added "auto wlan0" and it automatically connects now!
You can get that is you add ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to /boot/cmdline.txt but don't have the eth0 interface wired to an active switch at boot time.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Kfitz
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:57 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:13 am

I keep getting the error:

Code: Select all

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: child returned status 1
tar: error is not recoverable: exiting now
After trying to enter the line:

Code: Select all

tar -zxvf 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
I'm trying to install the driver without using the internet because I don't have the ability to connect to an ethernet cable, and I keep running into this problem. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix this problem. I'm running Raspbian without Noobs. The file 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz is in the boot folder and I am able to move it to the home folder but run into issues right after that. Any help would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a while.

Massi
Posts: 1691
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 1:52 pm
Location: Italy

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:56 am

i'd try with a sudo in front of the command (maybe some access or owning problem)

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Kfitz wrote:I keep getting the error:

Code: Select all

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: child returned status 1
tar: error is not recoverable: exiting now
After trying to enter the line:

Code: Select all

tar -zxvf 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
I'm trying to install the driver without using the internet because I don't have the ability to connect to an ethernet cable, and I keep running into this problem. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix this problem. I'm running Raspbian without Noobs. The file 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz is in the boot folder and I am able to move it to the home folder but run into issues right after that. Any help would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a while.
It would appear the file has been corrupted somehow. What does this command show

Code: Select all

ls -la 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
For a start the file size should be 322989 bytes.

EDIT: The driver includes a script to install it so once you get the file right and untar it OK install it using the command

Code: Select all

./install.sh
MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:04 pm

pattagghiu wrote:i'd try with a sudo in front of the command (maybe some access or owning problem)
No, the file appears to be corrupt. A problem with accessing it or the ownership would show a different error.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Kfitz
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:57 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:50 pm

MrEngman wrote: It would appear the file has been corrupted somehow. What does this command show

Code: Select all

ls -la 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
For a start the file size should be 322989 bytes.

EDIT: The driver includes a script to install it so once you get the file right and untar it OK install it using the command

Code: Select all

./install.sh
MrEngman
That command shows

Code: Select all

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 901120 Mar 30 2015 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz

MrEngman
Posts: 3871
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:57 pm

Kfitz wrote:
MrEngman wrote: It would appear the file has been corrupted somehow. What does this command show

Code: Select all

ls -la 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
For a start the file size should be 322989 bytes.

EDIT: The driver includes a script to install it so once you get the file right and untar it OK install it using the command

Code: Select all

./install.sh
MrEngman
That command shows

Code: Select all

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 901120 Mar 30 2015 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
That's showing the size is 901120 bytes, so just a little bit bigger than it should be. Either when you downloaded the file something went wrong or copying it to your SD /boot directory or copying from the /boot directory to your home directory went wrong.

Check the size of the file you downloaded to see if that's the right size and if it is copy it to your SD card again and start from there. Otherwise you will need to download it again.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Kfitz
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:57 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.18.xx+

Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:03 am

MrEngman wrote:
Kfitz wrote:
MrEngman wrote: It would appear the file has been corrupted somehow. What does this command show

Code: Select all

ls -la 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
For a start the file size should be 322989 bytes.

EDIT: The driver includes a script to install it so once you get the file right and untar it OK install it using the command

Code: Select all

./install.sh
MrEngman
That command shows

Code: Select all

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 901120 Mar 30 2015 8188eu-v7-20150212.tar.gz
That's showing the size is 901120 bytes, so just a little bit bigger than it should be. Either when you downloaded the file something went wrong or copying it to your SD /boot directory or copying from the /boot directory to your home directory went wrong.

Check the size of the file you downloaded to see if that's the right size and if it is copy it to your SD card again and start from there. Otherwise you will need to download it again.


MrEngman
Thank you, that seemed to get things working without errors, but after completing and rebooting, the Wifi configuration app still does not recognize the adaptor. I'm not sure if I am missing a step or if there is a way to test that things actually worked but as of now I'm not sure what to do. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Return to “Troubleshooting”