alexgzb
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.32+

Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi all,

after updating to kernel 3.12.32+ i had to re-install the latest driver to version 20141107.
It works fine during installation but after reboot it disappears.
I checked "dmesg" and i see the following:

Code: Select all

[    4.343638] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8179
[    4.371833] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[    4.415073] usb 1-1.5: Product: 802.11n NIC
[    4.437845] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Realtek
[    4.462877] usb 1-1.5: SerialNumber: 00E04C0001
[    4.779959] 8188eu: disagrees about version of symbol wireless_send_event
[    4.799964] 8188eu: Unknown symbol wireless_send_event (err -22)
[    5.124380] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  Cruzer Fit       1.26 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[    5.159270] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 62530624 512-byte logical blocks: (32.0 GB/29.8 GiB)
[    5.192408] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[    5.221248] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[    5.221966] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[    5.290003]  sda: sda1 sda3 sda5 sda6
[    5.327212] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[    6.186370] 8188eu: disagrees about version of symbol wireless_send_event
[    6.352048] 8188eu: Unknown symbol wireless_send_event (err -22)
[    8.463423] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
Does anyone know how to solve this?

MrEngman
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.32+

Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:15 am

Hi alexgzb,

Looks like you have not correctly installed the new driver and it is trying to load the previous version of the driver.

I am running 3.12.32+ and the 8188eu-20141107 driver works without problems. However, as a test I installed the previous version of the driver 8188eu-20141026 and after rebooting the driver refused to load and I saw the exact same error you are reporting. After reinstalling 8188eu-20141107 the driver is working OK again.

Just for reference the basic manual install goes something like:

Code: Select all

# Download and untar the driver.
wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20141107.tar.gz
tar -xzf 8188eu-20141107.tar.gz
# Install and register the driver. The "sudo depmod" command is required 
# otherwise the driver will probably not load after a reboot.
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.12.32+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo depmod 3.12.32+
# Load the driver which should bring up the wifi.
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.12.32+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

alexgzb
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.32+

Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:38 am

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I actually initially tried to install the old driver from 20141026 since that was the one that was previously installed. But that driver couldn't get pass the "insmod" step as it would complain on some error.
So I downloaded the new version and all the steps listed below are performed without any errors and the wireless network starts working. However after a reboot the wireless driver does not get properly installed and I need to re-run the "insmod" command to get it working.
I tried searching for any "old" files named 8188eu.ko and deleted them and then re-installing but the same error occurs

These are the steps i perform for installing after already downloading and untaring the file:

Code: Select all

sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.12.32+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.12.32+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a

MrEngman
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.32+

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:14 am

Hi,

I've been told about this type of problem a few times in the past and the solution was to remove all old files 8188eu.ko. Don't know how you looked for these files but this command will find them

Code: Select all

sudo find / -name 8188eu.ko
I would also suggest using command

Code: Select all

sudo depmod 3.12.32+
rather than

Code: Select all

sudo depmod -a
to register the new version of the driver.

Also deleting all old versions of the module directories should help and will gain you some additional space. Check what old version modules are installed with command

Code: Select all

ls /lib/modules
and then delete all old versions like

Code: Select all

sudo rm -r /lib/modules/3.12.xx+
replacing xx with the old version numbers leaving just directory /lib/modules/3.12.32+ and use command

Code: Select all

sudo depmod 3.12.32+
to register the newest version of 8188eu.ko.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

alexgzb
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.32+

Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:24 am

Found and removed a version of the file "/lib/modules/3.12.32+/kernel/net/wireless/8188eu.ko"
I also removed the old modules folders which cleared up about 70 mb.
Then I ran "depmod 3.12.32+" and now it works like a charm after reboot :D

Thanks a million! You are truly awesome!

raspdroid
Posts: 1605
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:15 am
Location: Gran Canaria :: España

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.32+

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:07 pm

This works fine. Thank you very much!

mvaneijgen
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi I am trying to install this on my RPi B+ but im stuck at the following command

Code: Select all

Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.12.26+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko: Invalid module format
Below my version. I downloaded it from Adafruit to work with my 2.8" touch screen.

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 3.12.26+ #7 PREEMPT Wed Sep 17 14:25:24 EDT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
This is the driver I downloaded

Code: Select all

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-20140705.tar.gz
But I keep getting the error listed above. Any tips?

User avatar
ilovemipi
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:52 am
Location: UK + Cyprus
Contact: Website

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:06 pm

mvaneijgen wrote:

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 3.12.26+ #7 PREEMPT Wed Sep 17 14:25:24 EDT 2014 ......[/quote]
Your #7 should be #70?
Different version so it will not accept the driver.

mvaneijgen
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:07 pm

ilovemipi wrote:
mvaneijgen wrote:

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 3.12.26+ #7 PREEMPT Wed Sep 17 14:25:24 EDT 2014 ......[/quote]
Your #7 should be #70?
Different version so it will not accept the driver.[/quote]

Hey I also that it was weird that it only showed one number (7) but that is what it gives me. How do I fix it?

dbirovljevic
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:47 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:10 pm

You have to use specially built driver for adafruit kernel from MrEngman
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 27#p635527

Thanks again MrEngman!

Stephenlongccna
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi,

I just received what appears to be V2.... I cant get it working.

I am however using 3.12.33+ #724

I can only find a package for #722.
Is this why I cant get it to work?

Anyone else having this issue or does anyone else have a package for #724??

Thanks in advance
Stephen

Stephenlongccna
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:45 am

Got this fixed this morning.

Just for others having this headache.
remove everything to do with previous attempts to install - everywhere!!

ls your home, search for 8188eu and rm it all.
Make sure you have the right package, I am using 3.12.33 #724.
The closest to this i could find was #722. I took this one and hoped the kernel didnt change too much.
Once i did a clean install following the steps on this page it worked!
If you get an error when inserting the module - you have the wrong pack!

Mouzer
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:50 am

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:53 am

So, I am running version 3.12.31 #2, from Raspbmc,

but am unable to load the driver from 3.12.31+ #720.

If there is another downloadspecificly for this version, where can i find it?

thanks

MrEngman
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:44 am

Mouzer wrote:So, I am running version 3.12.31 #2, from Raspbmc,

but am unable to load the driver from 3.12.31+ #720.

If there is another downloadspecificly for this version, where can i find it?

thanks
The driver you tried to load is for Raspbian and so will not work with Raspbmc. However, as far as I am aware the latest version(s) of Raspbmc already includes the 8188eu driver so you should not need to download one but you just need to configure Raspbmc to use the wifi module you have.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

cud_programmer
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm running the realtime kernel version: 3.12.26-rt40+

I've tried a number of different drivers from the lists above however none of them will install. Please could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks :)

MrEngman
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:00 am

cud_programmer wrote:I'm running the realtime kernel version: 3.12.26-rt40+

I've tried a number of different drivers from the lists above however none of them will install. Please could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks :)
Hi,

You are going to need a driver compiled with the Linux version you are using. Drivers for the basic raspbian images will not work as you have found.

I have downloaded the image and it appears to include the source code so I am going to try and compile a driver for it. First, however, I will need to compile the kernel to get the necessary configuration files for compiling the driver and this will take some time, an overnight job, so I will get back tomorrow to let you know how I get on and whether I have been able to compile a working driver.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

cud_programmer
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:20 am

MrEngman wrote: Hi,

You are going to need a driver compiled with the Linux version you are using. Drivers for the basic raspbian images will not work as you have found.

I have downloaded the image and it appears to include the source code so I am going to try and compile a driver for it. First, however, I will need to compile the kernel to get the necessary configuration files for compiling the driver and this will take some time, an overnight job, so I will get back tomorrow to let you know how I get on and whether I have been able to compile a working driver.


MrEngman
Great - thank you! :)

MrEngman
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi cud_programmer,

Looks like you're in luck. I've compiled the driver and it appears to work OK here on my Pi B+.

You should be able to download and install it using the following commands

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-3.12.26-rt40.tar.gz
tar -xzf 8188eu-3.12.26-rt40.tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.12.26-rt40+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo depmod 3.12.26-rt40+
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.12.26-rt40+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

cud_programmer
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.33+

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:28 pm

MrEngman wrote:Hi cud_programmer,

Looks like you're in luck. I've compiled the driver and it appears to work OK here on my Pi B+.

You should be able to download and install it using the following commands

Code: Select all

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/8188eu-3.12.26-rt40.tar.gz
tar -xzf 8188eu-3.12.26-rt40.tar.gz
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.12.26-rt40+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo depmod 3.12.26-rt40+
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.12.26-rt40+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko


MrEngman
You're the man! It works - fantastic. Thank you, greatly appreciated after many hours banging my head against the wall.

PieHead
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.34+

Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi MrEng, I am currently trying to compile and install the drivers from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/a ... master.zip
I unzipped the contents, and ran

make -f Makefile which is returning the error
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build M=/home/pi/wifiSetup/rtl8188eu-master modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Makefile:146: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
Are you able to offer any advice on this?

I would like to compile from the official source as a learning curve, also because of paranoia.
(If you are able to help and dont want me to fill up your thread with this, I have also made my own dedicated thread here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 5&p=654647)

Kind regards

MrEngman
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.34+

Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:46 pm

PieHead wrote:Hi MrEng, I am currently trying to compile and install the drivers from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/a ... master.zip
I unzipped the contents, and ran

make -f Makefile which is returning the error
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build M=/home/pi/wifiSetup/rtl8188eu-master modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Makefile:146: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
Are you able to offer any advice on this?

I would like to compile from the official source as a learning curve, also because of paranoia.
(If you are able to help and dont want me to fill up your thread with this, I have also made my own dedicated thread here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 5&p=654647)

Kind regards
EDIT: I cannot access your thread you reference above. I get an error "The requested topic does not exist".

The compile is attempting to access the Linux source directory. You need to set up a link to the Linux source using a symbolic link at /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build

You can create the link using the command

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /home/pi/src/linux /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build
where the Linux source home directory in this example is /home/pi/src/linux. You need to change this to point to the directory where your Linux source is stored.

Also you should only need to use make to compile the driver rather than make -f Makefile as make with no options automatically references Makefile.

Regarding the "official source", the driver you are trying to compile is a heavily hacked version of the "official" Realtek drive. I much prefer the "official" Realtek version.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

PieHead
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.34+

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:42 am

MrEngman wrote:
PieHead wrote:Hi MrEng, I am currently trying to compile and install the drivers from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtl8188eu/a ... master.zip
I unzipped the contents, and ran

make -f Makefile which is returning the error
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build M=/home/pi/wifiSetup/rtl8188eu-master modules
make[1]: *** /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Makefile:146: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
Are you able to offer any advice on this?

I would like to compile from the official source as a learning curve, also because of paranoia.
(If you are able to help and dont want me to fill up your thread with this, I have also made my own dedicated thread here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 5&p=654647)

Kind regards
EDIT: I cannot access your thread you reference above. I get an error "The requested topic does not exist".

The compile is attempting to access the Linux source directory. You need to set up a link to the Linux source using a symbolic link at /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build

You can create the link using the command

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /home/pi/src/linux /lib/modules/3.12.28+/build
where the Linux source home directory in this example is /home/pi/src/linux. You need to change this to point to the directory where your Linux source is stored.

Also you should only need to use make to compile the driver rather than make -f Makefile as make with no options automatically references Makefile.

Regarding the "official source", the driver you are trying to compile is a heavily hacked version of the "official" Realtek drive. I much prefer the "official" Realtek version.


MrEngman
My thread got deleted.

Before I try the link method you posted, can you refer me to the "official" Realtek version you suggested(non heavily hacked)
I might aswell use that source as it sounds more lightweight.

Regards

MrEngman
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.34+

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:06 am

Hi PieHead,

You can find details of the driver source I use as well as a patch needed for the Pi here http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 20#p632620.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

PieHead
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.34+

Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:54 pm

where the Linux source home directory in this example is /home/pi/src/linux. You need to change this to point to the directory where your Linux source is stored.
By Linux Source, do you mean sometype of kernel source? Or the source for whatever I am trying to install(the github master.zip I extracted to wifiSetup)?

Regards

MrEngman
Posts: 3918
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 3.12.34+

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:33 pm

PieHead wrote:
where the Linux source home directory in this example is /home/pi/src/linux. You need to change this to point to the directory where your Linux source is stored.
By Linux Source, do you mean sometype of kernel source? Or the source for whatever I am trying to install(the github master.zip I extracted to wifiSetup)?

Regards
I mean the linux kernel source for the kernel version you are compiling the driver for.

Then before compiling the driver you will need to configure the kernel source. To do this on a Pi running the kernel version you are compiling the driver for I do -

Code: Select all

# go to kernel source directory
cd /home/pi/src/linux  - you will need to use the directory you store your source in.
# clean kernel source
make mrproper
#load file .config
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
# initialise kernel for compiling modules
make modules_prepare
# copy file Module.symvers for 3.12.28+
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/raspberrypi/firmware/53d1ae311226b5cd7ea1277832139b74b2bb0f90/extra/Module.symvers
Now go to your driver directory and compile the driver

Code: Select all

cd /directory/where/driver/is
make clean
make
MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Troubleshooting”