marciokoko

Re: (UPDATE) Drivers for TL-WN725N V2 - 3.6.11+ -> 4.xx.xx+

Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm

ok now back to the wireless bit. I plugged in the tplink, it rebooted but no wireless connection. SO I created the ssh file on the memory card, put it back in, plugged the usb otg cable into the pi0 and connected it to my mac (where I logged into it before), pi0 boots up a screen saying "SSH is enabled by default, and pwd for pi user hasnt been changed, this is a risk..." but when I go to my laptop terminal and type in ssh pi@raspberrypi.local, i get ssh could not resolve:

Marcios-MacBook-Pro:~ mars$ ssh pi@raspberrypi.local
ssh: Could not resolve hostname raspberrypi.local: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

MrEngman

Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 pm

marciokoko wrote:ok now back to the wireless bit. I plugged in the tplink, it rebooted but no wireless connection. SO I created the ssh file on the memory card, put it back in, plugged the usb otg cable into the pi0 and connected it to my mac (where I logged into it before), pi0 boots up a screen saying "SSH is enabled by default, and pwd for pi user hasnt been changed, this is a risk..." but when I go to my laptop terminal and type in ssh pi@raspberrypi.local, i get ssh could not resolve:

Marcios-MacBook-Pro:~ mars$ ssh pi@raspberrypi.local
ssh: Could not resolve hostname raspberrypi.local: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
I expect this is because your connection doesn't have a DNS name server to resolve the name. Anyway using PI@raspberrypi.local is probably not right.

On my network I have to use hostname.fars-robotics.local, with no @ symbol which is probably not right to use, with hostname set for whichever Pi I want to connect to.

However, I do not normally use the hostname and always use the IP address. And on my Win 7 laptop I use Putty to make the SSH link.

There must be a load of posts about using SSH from a MAC on the forum. Maybe a good idea to look at the sticky posts at the beginning of the Beginners or Troubleshooting forums.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

jackkiefer

Thu May 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi MrEngman,

Is there any possibility that you could provide a list of the pre-compiled drivers available for download on your fars-robotics.net? I would really appreciate that! I'm running an OS that doesn't have Raspbian's extra version and build number (so I can't guess at the URL), but your drivers work beautifully otherwise.

Also, is there any chance of you uploading your source code/build configuration to GitHub? There are some (myself included) who would find it quite useful to be able to compile the drivers ourselves!

Thanks a ton. You're doing awesome work!

MrEngman

Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 pm

jackkiefer wrote:Hi MrEngman,

Is there any possibility that you could provide a list of the pre-compiled drivers available for download on your fars-robotics.net? I would really appreciate that! I'm running an OS that doesn't have Raspbian's extra version and build number (so I can't guess at the URL), but your drivers work beautifully otherwise.

Also, is there any chance of you uploading your source code/build configuration to GitHub? There are some (myself included) who would find it quite useful to be able to compile the drivers ourselves!

So what OS are you using?

I'm not going to list my drivers as there are about 1660 driver files available.

I compile new drivers whenever there is an update to https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware and the kernel version is changed or there is a new build. Currently there are drivers for 8188eu, 8192eu, 8812au, mt7610u and mt7612u devices available for Raspbian kernels 4.0, 4.4, and 4.9.

The file names are based on the wifi version - 8188eu, 8192eu, 8812au, mt7610 or mt7612 - the Raspbian kernel version and the Raspbian kernel build number. mt7612 drivers are not available for kernels 4.9 as there is a problem with it with that kernel version and I cannot find a fix.

As an example for the latest Raspbian kernel 4.9.29(-v7)+ #1000 and driver 8188eu the file name is 8188eu-4.9.29-1000.tar.gz for Pi 1 and Pi zero and for Pi 2B and 3B 8188eu-4.9.29-v7-1000.tar.gz.

The source I use for my drivers is downloaded from github so I see no point in duplicating the code again.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

jackkiefer

Fri May 26, 2017 3:35 pm

MrEngman wrote:

I'm not going to list my drivers as there are about 1660 driver files available.

I compile new drivers whenever there is an update to https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware and the kernel version is changed or there is a new build. Currently there are drivers for 8188eu, 8192eu, 8812au, mt7610u and mt7612u devices available for Raspbian kernels 4.0, 4.4, and 4.9.

The file names are based on the wifi version - 8188eu, 8192eu, 8812au, mt7610 or mt7612 - the Raspbian kernel version and the Raspbian kernel build number. mt7612 drivers are not available for kernels 4.9 as there is a problem with it with that kernel version and I cannot find a fix.

As an example for the latest Raspbian kernel 4.9.29(-v7)+ #1000 and driver 8188eu the file name is 8188eu-4.9.29-1000.tar.gz for Pi 1 and Pi zero and for Pi 2B and 3B 8188eu-4.9.29-v7-1000.tar.gz.

The source I use for my drivers is downloaded from github so I see no point in duplicating the code again.

MrEngman
We're running a custom OS that we've put together in-house that is loosely based on Raspbian.
Ah! I see that that repository lists the uname text. Awesome. My problem was that uname -a only gives, for example, 4.1.21, as opposed to 4.1.21v7 #872, but now I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks a ton!

MrEngman

Fri May 26, 2017 3:59 pm

jackkiefer wrote:
MrEngman wrote:

MrEngman
We're running a custom OS that we've put together in-house that is loosely based on Raspbian.
Ah! I see that that repository lists the uname text. Awesome. My problem was that uname -a only gives, for example, 4.1.21, as opposed to 4.1.21v7 #872, but now I should be able to figure it out.

Thanks a ton!
Don't forget the hyphen:- 4.1.21-v7 - before the v7 for Pi 2B and 3B and just 4.1.21 for other versions of the Pi.

MrEngman

macmpi

Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 am

MrEngman wrote:The source I use for my drivers is downloaded from github so I see no point in duplicating the code again
Would you then mind sharing (here or on first post) the specific github links for each of the driver you compile?
This can be very beneficial for this community, so that one can build same drivers with any custom kernels, such as berryboot's or al...

Thank you very much.

kb_

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi,
I just updated my Raspberry Pi to 4.9.31+ #1005, but I can't download the driver with

Code: Select all

wget http://www.fars-robotics.net/8188eu-8188eu-4.9.31-1005.tar.gz

MrEngman

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:14 am

kb_ wrote:Hi,
I just updated my Raspberry Pi to 4.9.31+ #1005, but I can't download the driver with

wget http://www.fars-robotics.net/8188eu-8188eu-4.9.31-1005.tar.gz
It would be better if you used

wget http://www.fars-robotics.net/8188eu-4.9.31-1005.tar.gz

MrEngman

Tenne

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to install TP-Link TL-WN722N(EU) Ver 2.0 to Raspberry. I opened the stick and checked the Wi-Fi chip, the text on it says 'Realtek RTL8188EUS'. Based on the info I came across on various sites, I'm assuming the 8188eu is the correct driver for the stick, despite the 'S' at the end of the chip name.

I've followed the instructions provided on the first post of this thread in order to make USB Wi-Fi stick work (running 4.4.50-v7+ kernel with build #970, so downloaded and installed the contents of 8188eu-4.4.50-v7-970.tar.gz).

I'm assuming the driver is installed properly (I'm not super-experienced with Linux, though), e.g. command '$ modinfo 8188eu' lists bunch of functions available for the driver. Also, Realtek's firmware package should be installed.

Now, when I plug the USB Wi-Fi stick to Raspberry (via a powered hub), I can see on syslog some info on the new connected USB device (Realtek's 802.11n NIC), but everything seems to stop on mtp-probe checking the device and deducing the device 'was not an MTP device'.

If I run '$ sudo lshw' command, the USB device is listed as 'UNCLAIMED'.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong/missing in my system?

--Tenne

MrEngman

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Tenne wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to install TP-Link TL-WN722N(EU) Ver 2.0 to Raspberry. I opened the stick and checked the Wi-Fi chip, the text on it says 'Realtek RTL8188EUS'. Based on the info I came across on various sites, I'm assuming the 8188eu is the correct driver for the stick, despite the 'S' at the end of the chip name.

I've followed the instructions provided on the first post of this thread in order to make USB Wi-Fi stick work (running 4.4.50-v7+ kernel with build #970, so downloaded and installed the contents of 8188eu-4.4.50-v7-970.tar.gz).

I'm assuming the driver is installed properly (I'm not super-experienced with Linux, though), e.g. command '$ modinfo 8188eu' lists bunch of functions available for the driver. Also, Realtek's firmware package should be installed.

Now, when I plug the USB Wi-Fi stick to Raspberry (via a powered hub), I can see on syslog some info on the new connected USB device (Realtek's 802.11n NIC), but everything seems to stop on mtp-probe checking the device and deducing the device 'was not an MTP device'.

If I run '$ sudo lshw' command, the USB device is listed as 'UNCLAIMED'.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong/missing in my system?

--Tenne
Hi Tenne,

The wifi module you are using is quite new and the driver version you downloaded did not include the USB ID for it as it was relatively old.

I have updated the driver so it should be OK now for the TL-WN722N v2 so can you download and reinstall it again and hopefully things should now be OK.

MrEngman

Tenne

Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi MrEngman,

I downloaded the new tar file matching my kernel version, and now the Wi-Fi connection is working perfectly. Thanks for your tips and support!

--Tenne

macmpi

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:28 pm

Dear MrEngman,

While installing some of your driver under a chroot environment, I noticed some annoying discrepancy on individual drivers install scripts.
Indeed kernel variable is fixed for 8192eu, and is obtained by $(uname -r) for others (8812au, 8188eu, mt7610).
From there, install paths and depmod may gives unexpected results when installed on chroot environment.

To ensure consistency, could you consider setting same kernel version method for all drivers, with ideally the explicit kernel version number (that matches file name) ?
I doubt you can apply this change to all previous obviously, but if you could do it for the future (and ideally for old 4.4.9 family), that would be nice.

Thanks for consideration.

MrEngman

Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:32 pm

macmpi wrote:Dear MrEngman,

While installing some of your driver under a chroot environment, I noticed some annoying discrepancy on individual drivers install scripts.
Indeed kernel variable is fixed for 8192eu, and is obtained by $(uname -r) for others (8812au, 8188eu, mt7610).
From there, install paths and depmod may gives unexpected results when installed on chroot environment.

To ensure consistency, could you consider setting same kernel version method for all drivers, with ideally the explicit kernel version number (that matches file name) ?
I doubt you can apply this change to all previous obviously, but if you could do it for the future (and ideally for old 4.4.9 family), that would be nice.

Thanks for consideration.
I have changed to using $(uname -r) for a reason and am surprised some of the 8192eu files have not been changed to use it.

Have you tried using the install-wifi script instead of downloading the driver file and using the included install.sh script?

sudo wget http://www.fars-robotics.net/install-wifi -O /usr/bin/install-wifi
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/install-wifi
Command sudo install-wifi -h shows usage details.

MrEngman

macmpi

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Not sure install-wifi can fully help at this stage: I need to install all drivers, for both v6 and v7, for a given kernel version (can be kernel version or commit#)
I think install-wifi only install for the current running architecture.

I think I'll sed kernel= line within individual install.sh with actual kernel version, hopping pattern will not change in the future.

TomSabom

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi,

sudo install-wifi
always returns that there is no driver available for the current kernel 4.9.26.
Since the headline says driver for .... -> 4.xx.xx I'd expected the driver would be already available.
Is there a time schedule when the driver is updated and/or is it possible to use an older driver as well?
If it is possible how can I evaluate the archive name (tar.gz)?

Thanks for your help.

With kind regards,
Thomas

MrEngman

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:47 pm

TomSabom wrote:Hi,

sudo install-wifi
always returns that there is no driver available for the current kernel 4.9.26.
Since the headline says driver for .... -> 4.xx.xx I'd expected the driver would be already available.
Is there a time schedule when the driver is updated and/or is it possible to use an older driver as well?
If it is possible how can I evaluate the archive name (tar.gz)?

Thanks for your help.

With kind regards,
Thomas
There are drivers available for Raspbian 4.9.26+ #996 or 4.9.26-v7+ #996 directly available via commands

wget http://fars-robotics.net/8188eu-4.9.26-996.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-4.9.26-996.tar.gz
./install.sh
and

wget http://fars-robotics.net/8188eu-4.9.26-v7-996.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-4.9.26-v7-996.tar.gz
./install.sh
What OS are you using? What is the output from command uname -a?

The filename format is described in the first post in this thread.

MrEngman

GoodOldJack12

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Hello all of you.
I'm having trouble installing these drivers.
First of all, I'm running a raspberry pi 3. I need 2 wifi modules for my project (it will, among other things, act as a wifi repeater)
using uname and all that, I downloaded and installed
8188eu-4.4.50-v7-970
the install script completed succesfully, I rebooted and it still doesnt show up. do I need to set up another wifi device?
what am I overlooking?

MrEngman

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:47 pm

GoodOldJack12 wrote:Hello all of you.
First of all, I'm running a raspberry pi 3. I need 2 wifi modules for my project (it will, among other things, act as a wifi repeater)
8188eu-4.4.50-v7-970
the install script completed succesfully, I rebooted and it still doesnt show up. do I need to set up another wifi device?
what am I overlooking?
What wifi adapter do you have using the 8188eu driver? What other wifi will you be using as you say you need 2 wifi modules?

Please post the output of commands

uname -a
ifconfig
lsusb
lsmod
cat /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
A wifi repeater using uname and all that? What on earth is all that supposed to be.

MrEngman

GoodOldJack12

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:59 pm

MrEngman wrote:
GoodOldJack12 wrote:Hello all of you.
8188eu-4.4.50-v7-970
what am I overlooking?
What wifi adapter do you have using the 8188eu driver? What other wifi will you be using as you say you need 2 wifi modules?

Please post the output of commands

uname -a
ifconfig
lsusb
lsmod
cat /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
A wifi repeater using uname and all that? What on earth is all that supposed to be.

MrEngman
I'm sorry, my punctuation was a bit off.
I meant that I downloaded the driver using uname -a.
The wifi dongle in question is TP-Link TL-WN823N
the second wifi is the RPI3's internal wifi.

here is the output of the commands:

#uname -a
Linux openplotter 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

#ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:86:67:0b  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:1176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 
          RX bytes:85850 (83.8 KiB)  TX bytes:85850 (83.8 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:d3:32:5e  
          inet addr:10.10.10.1  Bcast:10.10.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::272e:ff24:b0d2:66da/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:27727 errors:0 dropped:13064 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:14377 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:3446744 (3.2 MiB)  TX bytes:2619230 (2.4 MiB)

#lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2357:0109  #this is the wifi usb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

#lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
bnep                   10340  2 
hci_uart               17943  1 
btbcm                   5929  1 hci_uart
bluetooth             326105  22 bnep,btbcm,hci_uart
brcmfmac              186403  0 
brcmutil                5661  1 brcmfmac
cfg80211              428871  1 brcmfmac
rfkill                 16037  4 cfg80211,bluetooth
snd_bcm2835            20447  1 
snd_pcm                75762  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_timer              19288  1 snd_pcm
bcm2835_gpiomem         2976  0 
w1_gpio                 3657  0 
spi_bcm2835             6678  0 
snd                    51908  5 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm
i2c_bcm2708             4834  0 
wire                   25219  1 w1_gpio
bcm2835_wdt             3225  0 
cn                      4374  1 wire
uio_pdrv_genirq         3164  0 
uio                     8000  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
i2c_dev                 5859  0 
fuse                   84037  3 
ipv6                  347620  64 

cat cat /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf

# r8188eu is staging, 8188eu is off-kernel
#blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist r8188eu
options 8188eu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

MrEngman

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:29 pm

GoodOldJack12 wrote:I'm sorry, my punctuation was a bit off.
I meant that I downloaded the driver using uname -a.
The wifi dongle in question is TP-Link TL-WN823N
the second wifi is the RPI3's internal wifi.

here is the output of the commands:

#uname -a
Linux openplotter 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

#ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:86:67:0b  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:1176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1176 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1 
          RX bytes:85850 (83.8 KiB)  TX bytes:85850 (83.8 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:d3:32:5e  
          inet addr:10.10.10.1  Bcast:10.10.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::272e:ff24:b0d2:66da/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:27727 errors:0 dropped:13064 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:14377 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:3446744 (3.2 MiB)  TX bytes:2619230 (2.4 MiB)

#lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2357:0109  #this is the wifi usb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

#lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
bnep                   10340  2 
hci_uart               17943  1 
btbcm                   5929  1 hci_uart
bluetooth             326105  22 bnep,btbcm,hci_uart
brcmfmac              186403  0 
brcmutil                5661  1 brcmfmac
cfg80211              428871  1 brcmfmac
rfkill                 16037  4 cfg80211,bluetooth
snd_bcm2835            20447  1 
snd_pcm                75762  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_timer              19288  1 snd_pcm
bcm2835_gpiomem         2976  0 
w1_gpio                 3657  0 
spi_bcm2835             6678  0 
snd                    51908  5 snd_bcm2835,snd_timer,snd_pcm
i2c_bcm2708             4834  0 
wire                   25219  1 w1_gpio
bcm2835_wdt             3225  0 
cn                      4374  1 wire
uio_pdrv_genirq         3164  0 
uio                     8000  1 uio_pdrv_genirq
i2c_dev                 5859  0 
fuse                   84037  3 
ipv6                  347620  64 

cat cat /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf

# r8188eu is staging, 8188eu is off-kernel
#blacklist brcmfmac
blacklist r8188eu
options 8188eu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

The USB id 2357:0109 is for the TP-Link TL-WN823N v2 and that uses the 8192eu driver. Details here https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN823N_v2

You can remove the 8188eu driver you installed using commands

sudo rm /lib/modules/4.4.50-v7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/8188eu.conf
sudo depmod -a
and install the 8192eu driver using commands

wget http://fars-robotics.net/8192eu-4.4.50-v7-970.tar.gz
tar xzf 8192eu-4.4.50-v7-970.tar.gz
./install.sh

MrEngman

GoodOldJack12

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:38 pm

I cant believe I looked over that. Either way, thanks.
The internet often surprises me with its helpfulness.

zaadstra

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Hi,

can't get the TL-WN725v2 (8188eu) working on latest 2017-08-16-raspbian-stretch-lite image. Experimenting all day. Latest steps are:
I put " install-wifi " in place. Running with -c rpi-update suggested a new firmware kernel revision = 4.9.43+ kernel build = #1026, so ran rpi-update. Then the install-wifi for latest driver. Reboot and no wifi.

Funny thing is that iwlist wlan0 scan gives a list of local seen wifi networks.

Also, found on other pages, the command
wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/example.conf -D wext &
gets the adapter going too, even a working connection with the original image and original 8188eu.ko driver on it.

So I'm not sure where to go now. The image driver can connect with some tric, and the latest 4.9.43-1026 driver needs this trick, doesn't want to work simply with reboot.

I'm trying to upgrade some old installs which I did not upgrade for some years as every time the TL-WN725v2 wifi broke. Still no working recipe ...

Pi B, lsusb says ID 0bda:8179 Realtek RTL8188EUS (wrong?)
lsmod says cfg80211 size 525998 1 8188eu

MrEngman

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:37 am

zaadstra wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:26 pm
Hi,

can't get the TL-WN725v2 (8188eu) working on latest 2017-08-16-raspbian-stretch-lite image. Experimenting all day. Latest steps are:
I put " install-wifi " in place. Running with -c rpi-update suggested a new firmware kernel revision = 4.9.43+ kernel build = #1026, so ran rpi-update. Then the install-wifi for latest driver. Reboot and no wifi.

Funny thing is that iwlist wlan0 scan gives a list of local seen wifi networks.

Also, found on other pages, the command
gets the adapter going too, even a working connection with the original image and original 8188eu.ko driver on it.

So I'm not sure where to go now. The image driver can connect with some tric, and the latest 4.9.43-1026 driver needs this trick, doesn't want to work simply with reboot.

I'm trying to upgrade some old installs which I did not upgrade for some years as every time the TL-WN725v2 wifi broke. Still no working recipe ...

Pi B, lsusb says ID 0bda:8179 Realtek RTL8188EUS (wrong?)
lsmod says cfg80211 size 525998 1 8188eu
There are a number of posts about wifi and Stretch. Seems like whoever setup Stretch likes to make things difficult for normal users. Seems like there's been significant changes to the network configuration that is causing real problems for many like you.

I am currently running Jessie with kernel 4.9.43-v7+ #1026, after running sudo rpi-update, and the WN725N is working OK with the 8188eu driver so as far as I can tell the driver is OK with kernel 4.9.43-v7+ #1026.

The problem with Stretch is the changes to the configuration so I would suggest you search the forum for posts about Stretch and wifi problems where solutions to the problem have been suggested.

I haven't tried Stretch yet as I am abroad so have limited facilities and internet access and will not be home until the beginning of October.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

zaadstra

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Hello MrEngman,

I am on 4.9.43+ #1026 now. I had the same issues with Raspbian Jessie with PIXEL v4.9 2017-07-05 and Raspbian Stretch with desktop 4.9 2017-08-16, both used the Lite images without desktop. So I'm not sure if Stretch is the only baddie here.

I sudo rpi-updated to the latest and used install-wifi to get the latest 8188 driver.
With sudo nano /etc/rc.local I added the line:

I know the wext driver is said to be deprecated, but this gives a working system for now.

I will monitor this page if there will be a better solution.

Return to “Troubleshooting”