morejava

Re: Edimax Wifi adapter seems to go to sleep if not used (so

Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Genius.... Thanks MrEngman!

by MrEngman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:47 pm
Try this. Make a file 8192cu.conf in directory /etc/modprobe.d/ with the command
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

and add the following lines
CODE: SELECT ALL
# Disable power management
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0
I'm assuming you are using the Edimax EW-7811Un

Biggie

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Hi There,

i have the same issue with the wifi dongle . I have a raspberry pi 2 with the edimax. After a while the dongle goes to the "sleeping" mode. I have did these two steps

1. sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf
2. options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

when i run the test
cat /sys/module/8192cu/parameters/rtw_power_mgnt and get a respond 1.

For avoiding the "sleeping" mode i has to be 0 but it is not. Can someone tell me why ?

Thank you very much

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:38 am

Biggie wrote:Hi There,

i have the same issue with the wifi dongle . I have a raspberry pi 2 with the edimax. After a while the dongle goes to the "sleeping" mode. I have did these two steps

when i run the test

For avoiding the "sleeping" mode i has to be 0 but it is not. Can someone tell me why ?

Thank you very much
Hi,
irrespective of if returns a 1 or a 0, does it actually have the desired effect? It certainly does for me......

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

MrEngman

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 am

Biggie wrote:Hi There,

when i run the test

Thank you very much
You need to reboot your Pi after creating the file /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf to make the setting active.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Biggie

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:09 am

Hi,

unfortunately it has not the desired effect. Thats the problem. I have also rebooted the raspberry after the two steps. But still the same issue. I ve run a small php script to turn on and off the light in the livingroom.

When I start the Raspberry everything works fine. After a while, when i try to turn the light on through the php script which is stored on my raspberry, the webpage response with a status "the website ist not available". When i wait a minute and refresh the website erverything works fine again.

I dont know what the problem is. Maybe the Edimax is broken ?

(by the way, thank you for you reply)

MrEngman

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:34 am

Biggie wrote:Hi,

unfortunately it has not the desired effect. Thats the problem. I have also rebooted the raspberry after the two steps. But still the same issue. I ve run a small php script to turn on and off the light in the livingroom.

When I start the Raspberry everything works fine. After a while, when i try to turn the light on through the php script which is stored on my raspberry, the webpage response with a status "the website ist not available". When i wait a minute and refresh the website erverything works fine again.

I dont know what the problem is. Maybe the Edimax is broken ?

(by the way, thank you for you reply)
This solution works if the wifi is powered correctly. I don't expect your wifi is broken. If it was I would expect you would not get a wifi connection at all.

Not sure how you control the light. Does this mean you have some other wireless/wifi connected to your Pi to connect with your light or something connected to your Pi controlling a relay or switch? A power glitch could be why your wifi is disconnecting. If so maybe you have a power supply problem of some sort. This is a common issue causing wifi disconnecting temporarily.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Biggie

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi,

the way i control the light is very simple. I have this here. http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001AX8 ... ge_o08_s00. You can switch on the light with a remote control. On my Raspberry i have pluged a transmitter. Instead of using the remote control, i use a smal script which sends the "Light on" command 10001 1 to the wireless socket. it is very simple. The communication is via one wifi.

But you pointed something really intresting. The reason is mybe the power suply of the raspberry. The power suply for my raspberry is the USB Port on my Samsung TV. Maybe the output is too low?. I will check it again with another power suply.

Thank you very much. I will post again after my test with the new power suply

Biggie

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi,

here is a short feedback . Thank you MrEngman. The Power suply was the Problem. I fixed the wifi connection issue by using a correct power suply.

Thanks a lot :-)

MrEngman

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Biggie wrote:Hi,

here is a short feedback . Thank you MrEngman. The Power suply was the Problem. I fixed the wifi connection issue by using a correct power suply.

Thanks a lot :-)
Good to hear you have it working. Have fun with your Pi.

MrEngman

UnripePi

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:38 am

I applied this configuration file this morning and all seemed OK, but I'm now at school and JuiceSSH is just trying to connect (without any success). Do you have any suggestions?
Many thanks

jsdoc

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:53 am

Just to keep the thread alive, this is still accurate and successful for me in Raspian (use case: OpenSprinklerPi) - Edimax WiFi dongle goes to sleep and won't wake up, resolved by this hack.

Thanks, I'd been chasing this for days...

Joe

IgorGanapolsky

Re: Edimax Wifi adapter seems to go to sleep if not used

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm

MrEngman wrote:Try this. Make a file 8192cu.conf in directory /etc/modprobe.d/ with the command

Code: Select all

MrEngman
What if I don't have /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf on my system?

MrEngman

Re: Edimax Wifi adapter seems to go to sleep if not used

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 pm

IgorGanapolsky wrote:
MrEngman wrote:Try this. Make a file 8192cu.conf in directory /etc/modprobe.d/ with the command

MrEngman
What if I don't have /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf on my system?
As the instructions say make the file with the first command and then add the lines shown and save the file.

MrEngman.

Return to “Troubleshooting”