greglogan

OpenElec + External HDD

Wed May 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Guys

can anyone tell me why Debian squeeze will see my external drive and install(mount?) it automatically but OpenElec will not. Current version is 10870 but just downloaded 10997 so maybe that will help?

Greg.

greglogan

Re: OpenElec + External HDD

Thu May 17, 2012 10:49 am

Tried 10997 last night but to no avail. Can anyone point a noob in the right direction as to how to get OpenElec see my external drive?

Thanks

Greg.

theunit

Thu May 17, 2012 11:27 am

May seem stupid, but have you tried unplugging the USB drive and plugging it back in? It worked for me!

greglogan

Thu May 17, 2012 12:24 pm

yeah, I tried that and rebooted. Not sure what to do next cos I'm a complete linux noob!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Greg.

theunit

Thu May 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Do you have all the USB devices plugged in in the same configuration as when you used Debian?

greglogan

Thu May 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Yeah

the only thing that chnages is the SD card.

Greg.

milhouse

Thu May 17, 2012 2:24 pm

I've got OpenELEC r10977 booting from SD card and mounting /storage from a USB memory stick, this is my cmdline.txt:

Code: Select all

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet
On the SD card I have the usual binaries - bootcode.bin, loader.bin, start.elf, kernel.img and SYSTEM along with cmdline.txt.

My USB memory stick has a single ext4 partition, and so it mounts as /dev/sda1. How is your external HDD partitioned?

abishur

Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 pm

I haven't used the OpenElec version yet, does it auto boot into XBMC or do you load it from the bash prompt? If the later than make sure to mount the drive prior to loading it, if the former... try searching on their forums to see if anyone else has this issue? :?:
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

greglogan

Thu May 17, 2012 2:33 pm

milhouse wrote:I've got OpenELEC r10977 booting from SD card and mounting /storage from a USB memory stick, this is my cmdline.txt:

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet
On the SD card I have the usual binaries - bootcode.bin, loader.bin, start.elf, kernel.img and SYSTEM along with cmdline.txt.

My USB memory stick has a single ext4 partition, and so it mounts as /dev/sda1. How is your external HDD partitioned?
My HDD is formatted (I think) for Fat32. Maybe this is an issue but Debian see's it fine and can access all the files on it.

milhouse

Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 pm

abishur wrote:I haven't used the OpenElec version yet, does it auto boot into XBMC or do you load it from the bash prompt? If the later than make sure to mount the drive prior to loading it, if the former... try searching on their forums to see if anyone else has this issue? :?:
It autoboots - it's like the "appliance" version of XBMC. You can also create a file called "autostart.sh" in /storage/.config to manage non-standard post boot initialisation, eg:

#!/bin/sh

mkdir -p /storage/mnt/usbhdd
mount /dev/sda1 storage/mnt/usbhdd
(the above is just an example - mount commands may not work etc.)

milhouse

Thu May 17, 2012 2:38 pm

greglogan wrote: My HDD is formatted (I think) for Fat32. Maybe this is an issue but Debian see's it fine and can access all the files on it.
What are you trying to use the HDD for, storage of OpenELEC data (thumbnails etc.), or to access media (movies etc.)? I'm guessing the latter, in which case you probably want to try mounting it by adding the autostart.sh script, something like

#!/bin/sh

mkdir -p /storage/mnt/usbhdd
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 storage/mnt/usbhdd
should work.

greglogan

Thu May 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Sounds good. I'll try later this evening. BTW, how do I leave the XBMC front end and get to BASH ?

Thanks again for the info

Greg.

milhouse

Thu May 17, 2012 5:27 pm

greglogan wrote:Sounds good. I'll try later this evening. BTW, how do I leave the XBMC front end and get to BASH ?

Thanks again for the info

Greg.
Install PuTTY on a Windows PC and ssh in to the R-Pi as root/openelec.

greglogan

Fri May 18, 2012 9:40 am

Guys

just a note to let you know that all is sorted now. Turns out the powered usa hub that i was using was the problem. New one purchased last night and all problems cured. On another note..... Xbmc/openelec is unreal!!! Very impressed with it and also that the pi can run it and run it well!

thanks again for al the help

Greg.

Nodge

Thu May 31, 2012 11:24 pm

Greg,
I'm having exactly the same problem. My external hard drive is seen in both the Debian image and also Raspbmc but not OpenElec. I'm using an HTC phone charge to power the Pi. Can you advise which hub you bought to solve the problem? Or if anyone else who has OpenElec working with a hard drive in the usb port could recommend a power source?

Thanks
John

spurious

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:15 am

make sure the USB hub is powered, as the R-Pi would struggle to provide enough power to the drive.
I have tried this and it just worked, the drive was mounted automatically.
So when you go into Files it's there.

robwriter

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

OpenElec didn't mount my USB stick either. In the end it was easier for me to drop files on to my samba share, but I'll try to get it working properly tonight.

greglogan

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:54 am

Hi John

I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Port-USB-2- ... 3367de9463
cos it was cheap!! Works fine tho.

Greg.

Nodge wrote:Greg,
I'm having exactly the same problem. My external hard drive is seen in both the Debian image and also Raspbmc but not OpenElec. I'm using an HTC phone charge to power the Pi. Can you advise which hub you bought to solve the problem? Or if anyone else who has OpenElec working with a hard drive in the usb port could recommend a power source?

Thanks
John

Montala

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:39 pm

greglogan wrote:Hi John

I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Port-USB-2- ... 3367de9463
cos it was cheap!! Works fine tho.

Greg.
It is interesting that some users say that these (and other similar offerings on Ebay) work fine, whilst others say that (and I quote) that they are a "pile of poo"!
I notice that this particular one doesn't actually mention the rating of the power supply, which (it would appear) can be anywhere between 1 and 3.5 amps!

Are you actually using the hub to power your Pi also?

spurious

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:33 pm

KB    Power
         |      |
Power -- Pi -- Hub -- Drive
         |      |
	    Eth    Mouse
also have HDMI off Pi, but ran out of room to show that :)

Nodge

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm still having no luck getting my hard drive seen in OpenElec. I have now tried a different powered hub with the same result. (Not the Ebay one suggested by Greg though). My setup is I have the pi powered by my HTC phone charger. I have a wireless dongle plugged into one of the pi's usb ports. My harddrive has it's own power supply (ie not powered from usb). Just to recap that both my hard drive and a memory stick are seen by the Debian Squeeze image and Raspbmc but not OpenElec. This suggests to me that the problem is with OpenElec. I've tried running without the usb wireless dongle but no joy. I'm happy to buy another powered hub if it would solve the issue but I can't see that it is the cause of the problem.

John

squakie

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:22 pm

I know it's an old thread, but I have a question on this also. I'm just getting ready to try again to make OpenELEC work - I think the last few times I tried I messed up so I couldn't ssh to it which made things, to say, difficult at best. Now I think I have that figured out (stupid, huh?).

However, what I would like to do is use my external USB drive in the following way:

- do the install to the sd card first
- re-partition (it's currently empty anyway) my external usb drive to have
2 partitions: 1 for "system" and 1 NTFS where I'll store all my media files.
- copy the requiste folder(s) for "system" to the "system" partition on the
USB hard disk
- modify the config.txt so that the Pi only boots off the SD card but uses
the "system" partition on the SD card for EVERYTHING else (like starting
at root on out in the file tree) on the USB "system" partition

From having done this in the past with Raspbian Wheezy, I'm sure there must be a way to do this in OpenELEC as well, so is the "storage" item I see mentioned actually all of the rest of the file system, so it would only use the SD card to boot?

Thanks!

mr.wolfie

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:41 am

What you're trying to do is explained step by step here (and it works, all the storage is on a usb thumb drive, sd card is pretty much read only so it doesn't get corrupted by constant writting.
http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry- ... -usb-drive

And if anyone is looking for it, like I have been for days now, to mount a usb hard drive to a specific point, using the UUID, create a file "autostart.sh" in ~/.config and add this to the file:

#!/bin/sh
(sleep 30; \
mount -t ext3 UUID=c5221e76-f387-4518-9704-a3279b01a2e7 /storage/drive1; \
)&

of course you would change ext3 or ntfs or what-have-you and the mount point would need to be created first. But I just tested it and it works!

Return to “Troubleshooting”