m0ngr31

Having lots of problems...

Wed May 16, 2012 6:58 pm

I got my pi the other day and I was super excited! Couldn't believe how small it was even after following it for the past year+. But I'm having lots of problems with it.

I've tried 3 different SD cards, and they've all failed in one way or another. Some won't boot certain distros, some kernel panic half way through the boot, and sometimes one will work for a few hours and then start kernel panicing when I reboot it. I've been getting lots of mc0 error messages too.

I'm assuming it's just that I've lucked into having 3 incompatible SD cards? I've seen talk of people saying that the power adapter might have an effect. I'm using a HTC phone charger, and I'm assuming that is pretty standard?

Can someone just let me know what SD is perfect to use with it? I've looked on the wiki (and even bought the same brand and class as one in the working section) but that didn't seem to help. Also would someone recommend a better AC adapter?

carl_retrotext

Re: Having lots of problems...

Wed May 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi there

Have you transferred the image to the sd with the imager software?

m0ngr31

Wed May 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Yeah, I've tried dd in linux and I've also tried the windows utility as well. Dozens of times.

RussIT

Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 pm

I have used sandisk 8 and 16 GB SD cards both class 4 (purchased from play.com) and have had no problems with them, also using an htc chargers as power or sometimes a powered usb hub.

aaroncoffey

Thu May 17, 2012 12:02 am

I'm using a HTC phone charger, and I'm assuming that is pretty standard?
Can you see what what the outputs are listed on the phone charger? It should say something like Output: 5V≈1.0A

colin B

Thu May 17, 2012 1:40 am

If it's of any help the two types of card I'm using successfully are Toshiba 4 and 8GB and a 4GB Sandisk all class 4.
On a clear disk one can seek forever

felixfurtak

Thu May 17, 2012 1:58 am

Try booting it with the bare minimum of usb perhiperals plugged in. i.e. just a keyboard and no hub or anything like that.

bredman

Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 am

Those kernel panics are normally associated with a power supply problem.

The HTC chargers are generally very good quality, nobody has reported problems with them and I use one myself. But you may be suffering from a cheap charger cable.

If possible, check the power supply voltage as shown on
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 17, 2012 9:38 am

If you have a PC nearby, try powering the Pi off that (with a decent cable) - that certainly helped mines stability. I had a .85A Kindle charger that was right on the edge when stuff was plugged in, and a 1A Chinese PoS that wouldn't even boot. Quality does seem to count.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

thexman

Thu May 17, 2012 3:02 pm

i am using a 4gb mode 2(sandisk) and a 4gb mode 4(team) all ok one with openelec one with debian i also have an 8gb (samsung) mode 6 card with XBMC again working fine i m using a 5v 500ma power supply with wireless keyboard and mouse plugged in all works with out a hitch its strange the amount of funny issues people are getting but ill keep the no fault thanks
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

itsonlyme

Thu May 17, 2012 3:16 pm

My HTC Phone charger does not supply sufficient power with Keyboard, Mouse and Network connected. HTC branded, Model number is TCP300 ouput 5v 1a.

I am using a Philong branded charger which came with a Fly phone I bought in Russia some years ago, together with a Mini to Micro usb adapter.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Phone chargers (of any brand) often are completely unregulated, only unloaded they may output 5.0 Volt (or maybe even slightly more), But the moment you draw current from them their output decreases immediately, that is because, unlike real power supplies, they have no internal stabilisation.

The reason that they get away with that lies in the nature of the charging circuitry inside the cell phones they are used with. The charging circuitry is designed to charge the battery, (which is typically a 3.6 lithium battery) and such charging circuits are normally quite happy with a lot less than 5V especially when in the initial phase lots of current is drawn.

So principally many 5V 1A chargers might be unsuitable as 5V power supplies!
You need a real 5V power supply, not a charger!

The reason some well designed chargers still work is that at 400 to 600 mA the PI is typically using (with keyboard and mouse) the voltage of the charger doesn't drop too much. If more voltage drops are introduced by (among other things) the USB cable, the input polyfuse and the USB output polyfuses, the danger of dropping below the minimum acceptable level increases. Normally the minimum for 5V logic (on board ethernet/USB-HUB chip, USB keyboard, etc) is 5.75 volt.

3V3 powered devices are probably immune, as their (low drop) regulators will survice on a lower input voltage than 4.75V, so I'm not too concerned about the power for the SD-Card, but note that even the SoC draws directly from the 5V line (probably for the switching regulator for its internal core voltage, which is variable).

jojopi

Thu May 17, 2012 4:37 pm

jamesh wrote:If you have a PC nearby, try powering the Pi off that (with a decent cable) - that certainly helped mines stability. I had a .85A Kindle charger that was right on the edge when stuff was plugged in, and a 1A Chinese PoS that wouldn't even boot. Quality does seem to count.
You are contradicting the official Quick Start document here ("Do not attempt to power your Raspberry Pi by plugging it into a computer"). And Gert ("Danger is that initially it seems to work", but "plainly connected in a way it should not be").

But I have also found my Pi to be both perfectly stable and in spec when powered from either of two different computers. And also when powered from the USB of either of two different TVs. Including with heavy network traffic and HD video. I wonder how the success rate of random micro-USB chargers really compares.

As you say, a good cable with low resistance power wires is important. Also, the rear sockets are likely to have less voltage drop because they are soldered onto the motherboard instead of using an extra cable inside the case.

Return to “Troubleshooting”