crazyjoe

Trouble installing noobs, kernel message

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi folks,

while trying to start noobs to install a system i frequently get the following consol information.
I tried different memcards, differnet power sources, downloaded and sha checked the zipfile several times.

Has somebody an idea, which problem i am facing?

thx in advance

Cheers, Joern
Attachments
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG (63.4 KiB) Viewed 954 times

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Trouble installing noobs, kernel message

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:39 pm

crazyjoe wrote:Hi folks,

while trying to start noobs to install a system i frequently get the following consol information.
I tried different memcards, differnet power sources, downloaded and sha checked the zipfile several times.

Has somebody an idea, which problem i am facing?

thx in advance

Cheers, Joern
A bit more info. needed please:
How did you format the SDHC card(s) (eg. did you use the SDA's formatting tool)?
What brand, type, size of SD card?
Did you use a "built-in" or external (USB stick-like) card reader/writer?
Which version of NOOBS?
How far did NOOBS get before the (above) "kernel panic" occurred? (Although the monitor photo's shown here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... n_progress show an older version of NOOBS [1.2.1] they are similar to what you would see once the current version NOOBS has booted - I'm "in the process" of updating my webpages)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

rdb

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Did you extract the files from the zip file as explained in the quick start guide?

crazyjoe

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi,

I exactly followed the noobs installation guide.
I formated with the SD format and set all Flags like demanded in the guide.
Then i extracted and copied the zip file content on the card, as explained in the guide.
The CardWriter is an internal Desktop Cardreader/writer which is at least just connected to USB.
Since there is booting "something" i assume the card is readable?!
Noobs version 1.3 latest.

I tried an intenso 16GB Class10, a Transcend Class 6 16GB and a takeMS 4GB Class 4 Card.
I also tried to install the raspbian image with win32diskimager with the same result.

Before the shown console appears, there is only this colored boot picture, after this console is shown and thats it. No gui!

crazyjoe

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Has anybody heard of hardware errors or defect delievered boards?

And thanks for the above answers guys!

Regards, Joern

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:48 pm

crazyjoe wrote:Hi,
I exactly followed the noobs installation guide.
I formated with the SD format and set all Flags like demanded in the guide.
Then i extracted and copied the zip file content on the card, as explained in the guide.
The CardWriter is an internal Desktop Cardreader/writer which is at least just connected to USB.
Since there is booting "something" i assume the card is readable?!
Noobs version 1.3 latest.
I tried an intenso 16GB Class10, a Transcend Class 6 16GB and a takeMS 4GB Class 4 Card.
O.K.
1) "The CardWriter is an internal Desktop Cardreader/writer which is at least just connected to USB" Am I correct in taking that to mean that you're using a "desktop" machine with a card reader/writer fitted into a spare "HDD slot"? (If so, that should be equivalent to using a USB card/reader writer on a netbook/laptop rather than a "built-in" SD slot. The latter, on older portables, may not be fully SDHC compatible).
2) Apart from "Transcend", your card makes appear to be of "less common" brands (cf. those logged in http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards), and issues have been reported w.r.t. some Transcend cards in the past.
3) W.r.t. "partial booting" and NOOBS 1.3 - there is a known issue with Sandisk Ultra cards, now fixed, and there is a newer version (NOOBS 1.3.1) which can be found here: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/test/ . If you haven't tried that (yet) it may help @rdb & co. (the NOOBS developers) if you do so and report back.
Trev.
Last edited by FTrevorGowen on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

crazyjoe

Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:59 pm

good hints, i try out now and report back!

thx

Return to “Troubleshooting”