obarthelemy

Re: I cant get a keyboard to work with my PI!

Thu May 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks, that helps. I actually contacted my favorite reseller to inquire about keyboards' power consumption... we had a good laugh, asked around, and confirmed that is not even mentioned in whatever tech doc they get from the manufacturers. Trial and error it is then...

tawalker

Thu May 24, 2012 3:35 pm

I still don't know exactly what has caused the keyboard problems that I've encountered with my Pi, but only yesterday I finally managed to find one in the house that works with no issues at all...

I tried three USB keyboards. The first was an A.N.Other-brand wireless "media centre" keyboard/trackball from Maplin (which I "borrowed" from another PC of ours), which was constantly repeating keypresses and was basically useless for the Pi (but OK on other machines). The second was a cheap no-name wired USB keyboard, which caused the Pi to kernel-panic every time, the moment I plugged it in.

Third time lucky? Well, yes - a Dell wired keyboard worked fine, but (a) I really wanted wireless (the Pi is using our TV as a display), and (b) the keyboard was borrowed and I had to return it ;) So, what else could I try?

The answer had been staring me in the face the whole time: the Logitech K360 USB wireless keyboard we use (occasionally) with our Wii! I plugged the nano-receiver into the Pi... and the keyboard worked perfectly as long as the Pi was switched on.

Now, the original wireless keyboard/trackball is plugged into the Wii, the old PC has the "no-name" wired k/b, and the Pi has the K360.

What a "palaver" - I'm just glad I didn't have to buy another keyboard, which might not have worked either... all is well now :lol:
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

davez

Sat May 26, 2012 8:22 am

Also have had troubles, with wired Apple keyboard and noname other keybard. A labtec keyboard worked well though, even powered from my computer.

Tried 2 power supplies and 2 different micro usb cables with the first two keyboards and none of them worked. The noname one flashed during boot as you would suspect but nothing else. Seems to be a bit tricky to get one that works.
http://blog.davido.me General tech site

ren41

Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 pm

If anyone is having a keyboard - or mouse - issue then I can confirm that the Asda basic wired keyboard (£5) and their wired optical mouse £2.50) work perfectly. We have a few of these mice at work, for emergencies, and they are responsive & reliable.

Ren

strawberrytau

Wed May 30, 2012 8:03 am

I have also had a problem with keyboard kernel panics. I bought an Argos value USB keyboard and it triggers a kernel panic whenever connected.

Can anyone he recommend a keyboard which is

A) cheap
B) available to buy now (preferably please supply a link)
C) works with the Raspi as is (no powered hub required)

Otherwise I might need to buy this (and I only want the keyboard!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320896381552? ... 1282wt_874

Thanks.

strawberrytau

Wed May 30, 2012 9:49 am

I can answer my own question!

I took the Argos Basic Keyboard back to Argos, and replaced it with the Bush Slimline Wired Keyboard at £9.99
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 246229.htm

I can certify that this works flawlessly with the RasPi - no USB hub required.

Novocain

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:06 pm

A small update from my side:

I went with my RPI to a friend who has a working RPI enviroment we unplugged his and connected mine with his PSU/Keyboard/SD and TV, mine still doesnt want to use the keyboard so its definitely a Hardware problem. The friend recognized that my RPI at boot-up doesnt proper show network and USB stuff. I will now send mine back to RS.

erul

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:26 pm

I've got the same problem. No lights on the keyboard and no Light on the switch when plugging in the ethernet cable.

I have a no-name SD card, could this be the problem? The pi boots up just fine.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:41 pm

The Wiki has a whole load of working and not-working keyboards listed. If anyone is still looking then I strongly suggest they print out the list and take it shopping with them.

Executive summary: ASDA and Tesco work. PC World and Argos don't. Some Logitech and Microsoft work, others don't.

erul

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Just tried with a brand new kingston card. Still nothing.
Guess i have to call RS.

Novocain

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 am

erul wrote:I've got the same problem. No lights on the keyboard and no Light on the switch when plugging in the ethernet cable.

I have a no-name SD card, could this be the problem? The pi boots up just fine.
I dont think that it is related to your SD Card, and if LAN doesnt light up then you have proably the same problem as i do. I thought my boot up sequence was fine but a friend said that there is something missing which is related to LAN etc....

stevep

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

strawberrytau wrote: Can anyone he recommend a keyboard which is

A) cheap
B) available to buy now (preferably please supply a link)
C) works with the Raspi as is (no powered hub required)
Logik http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/logik-key ... teria.html
Only £4.99 at PC World, and although it says 'pink' in the description it is actually a rather tasteful raspberry shade....

Although the Verified Peripherals Wiki says the Apple A1048 k/b works, I had no luck with it. It probably all depends on what other peripherals you're using though. A 'verified' keyboard may not work if you use some other peripheral like a mouse, hub or power supply that doesn't play nicely. So use the verified peripherals page with caution.

FWIW I'm using a 5 button MS Intellimouse, and a Logik LP4HUB10 4-Port USB Hub which also provides power (and I snipped the red wire inside it where it connects to the pcb). I am connected (ethernet) to my network ok. I don't have a wireless dongle to test with this combination.

There are other USB things I have yet to test as well (a gps dongle, daisy chaining a second powered usb hub to the Logic, a memory stick etc, but as things stand my combination of bits has worked well for the 2 days I have been playing - no crashes, sticky keys, dead mice etc.

port22

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:53 am

Hello,

I had similar problems with my Pi upon opening it this afternoon. Turns out, the problem of not being able to get KB, Mouse or NIC working was isolated to a faulty USB cable.

Upon changing the cheap chinese made cable to a good quality Samsung cable, problem gone.

Working 100%.

dutoitc

Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:36 pm

I had the same problem and solved it: My Raspberry Pi was powered by a USB cable connected to the same USB Hub that I connected to USB port. The Raspberry detect it and close all USB ports (but the rest continues to work).
In this case, just connect your rpi to a distinct electrical power source.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:42 am

FWIW, and IIRC...

These problems were caused by the USB firmware supplied by the (Ethernet/USB) chip manufacturers. It's been rewritten now and I would expect just about any keyboard to work. The only exceptions would be strange wireless ones that need their own drivers.

pluggy

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Its a 2 year old thread, because its basically a 2 year old problem. With early software the Pi was tetchy as hell with keyboards and many USB devices. Its at least an order of magnitude better with a modern OS. My Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which was a complete non starter in the early days has worked for about 12 months now.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Skipoint0

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38 pm

I bought the Logitech k360 as well, but it says that it needs a software download :?: I tried it on 2 different model laptops, and the pi, and it doesn't work

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:52 pm

I refer the honourable gentleman/lady to my earlier answer:
rurwin wrote:The only exceptions would be strange wireless ones that need their own drivers.
Windows drivers don't work under Linux.You may be lucky enough that the manufacturers provide a Linux driver that works, or the community may have reverse engineered one, but don't hold your breath.

From a brief Google, in this case, this might help: http://th0th.me/log/pairing-logitech-un ... -gnulinux/

Return to “Troubleshooting”