steve4

Re: Noobs error resizing existing fat partition

Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Try naming or renaming the SD card without spaces.

This may not resolve the specific issues mentioned in this thread, but receiving a new Pi2 kit fresh out of box with pre-loaded SD card, I had the same FAT partition error. It was fully resolved by simply sticking the SD card in my laptop and renaming the card from "NO NAME" to "NONAME".

psypher246

Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:19 am

I too can confirm that the msconfig setting (diagnostic) allows you to safely unmount the card and then it allows you to install.

jackalsin

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:29 pm

I have the same problem, but I eject the device successfully,

btw I am using the same type of micro sd card..

FoGi

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:26 pm

SOLVED:
Backed up the data from the sd card to a folder on my computer, used Win7 diskpart (start>run>cmd>diskpart>select disk>select partition>delete partition>create partition>exit

Go to windows computer management, select storage, select sd drive and format drive to FAT32. I gave my drive no label.

Copy original data back to sd card.
Booted up perfectly.

MattB46

Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:33 am

When I encountered this problem I reasoned it was either caused by the Pi, NOOBS, the Pi, or the fact that I skimmed the instructions. After reading the instructions again and coming to the same conclusion as to what they were saying, I reformatted the disk with the default windows formatter (Windows 10)
-right click the SD card in windows explorer
-select format
-settings should be correct (fat32 so just click format)
-put noobs files into root of SD card and proceed as normal

For Mac or Linux I would just trying a different formatter if the original one doesn't work

Edg22

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:50 pm

Hi,
To resolve this problem, I used diskpart and the topic <http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... ally-again>
Regards,

DrMo

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:59 am

I managed to solve it by simply following the installation instruction file that's part of NOOBS zip

NOOBS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Insert an SD card that is 4GB or greater in size into your computer.
2. Format the SD card using the platform-specific instructions below:
a. Windows
i. Download the SD Association's Formatting Tool from https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... a_windows/
ii. Install and run the Formatting Tool on your machine
iii. Set "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT" option to "ON" in the "Options" menu
iv. Check that the SD card you inserted matches the one selected by the Tool
v. Click the "Format" button

Everything worked like a charm after that
Hope that helps

WoodyPi

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:00 pm

DrMo wrote:I managed to solve it by simply following the installation instruction file that's part of NOOBS zip

NOOBS INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Insert an SD card that is 4GB or greater in size into your computer.
2. Format the SD card using the platform-specific instructions below:
a. Windows
i. Download the SD Association's Formatting Tool from https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... a_windows/
ii. Install and run the Formatting Tool on your machine
iii. Set "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT" option to "ON" in the "Options" menu
iv. Check that the SD card you inserted matches the one selected by the Tool
v. Click the "Format" button

Everything worked like a charm after that
Hope that helps
That's right way to do this, however I was fighting with NOOBS about 5 hours, becouse there is one important thing, Windows changes a name of disk on capital letters, that's often problem, and even if your disk is formated correctly It gonna say there is problem with "Resizing existing fat partition" I removed all name of flash disk and It works property.
I hope, that You saved your time by reading this post. (sorry for english if there are any misspellings)

Texas-Mark

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:14 pm

WoodyPi wrote:That's right way to do this, however I was fighting with NOOBS about 5 hours, becouse there is one important thing, Windows changes a name of disk on capital letters, that's often problem, and even if your disk is formated correctly It gonna say there is problem with "Resizing existing fat partition" I removed all name of flash disk and It works property.
I hope, that You saved your time by reading this post. (sorry for english if there are any misspellings)
I have never had any problems using SDFormatter with the name of the SD card being caps or not, on my Windows laptop .

Theak48

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:52 am

I am having this same problem and can't get anything to work

napertivo

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 am

Maybe my error will help someone else.......

After receiving this same error 3 times I decided to try something else rather than sitting through another 2 hour reformat.

The first three times I had formatted the card as described above so I figured it had to be something else.

Rather than reformatting the card I removed it from the Pi, inserted into my card adapter, and inserted the card adapter into my MacBook Pro. I then proceeded to copy the files over to the card again; ejected the same as preciously and reinserted into the Pi. The Pi then booted successfully and kicked off the reformat without an issue.

There were two things that I did differently; I'm not sure which resolved the issue but my guess is it was #2.

These were the two differences:
1) On the first three formats and file copies I used a USB/micro adapter; the last time I used an SD card adapter and the SD slot on the Mac.
2) The first three times I formatted the card and then proceeded to copy the files to it. I did NOT eject the card and re-insert it prior to writing the files. The last time I essentially ejected the card and re-inserted it when I recopied the files.

Yes I did notice some other posts about ejecting prior to copying the files but I overlooked that; I should have paid closer attention to that.

julio.vera

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:59 pm

I solved it using a USD micro SD reader, as adviced here.
Thanks!

toldcodger

Sun May 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks for this. Like a few others I found an SD card reader that the Pi likes.
You should always keep the prime objective in mind.
However, when you’re up to your ass in alligators, it’s hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp. :D

MajkelBoi

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi,

Sorry for digging this topic up but had the same problem and the issue was with SD card formater. I did format couple of times and always got this error. I tried formating with win10 tool and it worked like a charm, just had to tick the "default settings" box.

Return to “Troubleshooting”