Huk

Turbo overclock without SD corruption - is it possible?

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:14 am

Hello again.

I'm currently using my HTC Wildfire S power adapter (TC E250 charger (5V/1A)), to power Raspberry - while it is working for basic setup, I'm afraid it may not be powerful enough while turbo over-clocking is enabled, resulting in SD card corruption (my raspberry stopped working "just like that" a week ago - SD card was corrupted, card itself is fine as far as I can tell - so I suspect the over-clocking was the reason). Question is - is there any power supply out there that will give raspberry enough juice even when it is over-clocked?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Best regards.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Turbo overclock without SD corruption - is it possible?

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:32 am

I don't think the power supply is relevant. Overclocked or not, the power consumption change is negligible, the actual SD card has much more to do with it. If your tp1-tp2 voltage is near enough 5V, you can almost rule out the supply (though there are some cases where you get 5v, but with a large ripple). I have some cards that run great with the pi overclocked, while others refuse to boot properly. I am yet to experience sd card corruption, but that's probably because of the cards I use, not anything else.

Huk

Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 am

@ShiftPlusOne:

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm asking because i found this warning:

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#SD_Card_Usa ... erclocking

I guess, I will run stress test today to see if anything gets corrupted.

Could You tell me the the brand and model of your SD Card? I'm using GoodRam 8GB SDHC Pro Class 10 - no model is specified.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:57 am

I can, but it might not help, since they could have changed the firmware or the controller on the sd card since I have bought it. It was a Kingston UltimateX 8GB Class 4. The one that doesn't work is Kingston SDHC 8GB Class 10.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:03 am

Also, I am not sure if that warning has any merit. I't just one guy asserting without evidence that you can't overclock with class 10 sd cards, yet I know plenty of people do and it works fine for them. Read the github issue page he links to. That's sort of the downside of a wiki... aside from that warning, someone removed the warranty void condition as well, which is important. Now the page falsely says that you can't void the warranty.

Huk

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:28 am

@ShiftPlusOne:

Thanks again for quick response - I will attempt to run stress test on my SD today, however could you clarify what did You mean about voiding warranty? I thought that using turbo mode won't void warranty anymore, since this entry:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2008

Unless you mean that manual overclocking beyond turbo values still does.

Please clarify.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:41 am

Yup, I mean manual overclocking, not the preset values in raspi-config.

If you're not going fiddling in config.txt, you're fine.

The warranty void condition is (force_turbo || current_limit_override || temp_limit>85) && over_voltage>0, by the way.
So if you force_turbo, you can't also use over_voltage. But yeah, that's going a bit off topic and has nothing to do with your original question.

gsh

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:24 am

Basically there does seem to be some relationship between overclocking and SD card corruption, but it's not an obvious correlation....

I'm in the process of debugging this at the moment, I've recently written my own SD card protocol analyser using an FPGA wired up to my PC with some code I wrote to analyse the SD commands and make sure it is doing what it should...
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

shuckle

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:02 pm

I have only got corruptions when overclocking and doing apt-get upgrade. I run my pis overclocked without problems for months, but i have got so many corruptions with upgrades that i now always remove overclock before doing upgrades. Just fyi.

gsh

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:47 pm

What SD card is it?

Is it Sandisk Ultra?

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

shuckle

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:11 pm

All my cards are 8 GB Transcend class 10 cards.

kalehrl

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:10 pm

I also got corruption while overclocking on Transcend cards.
I've got 2 cards - Transcend 4 class and Transcend class 10.
http://www.tapeonline.com/products/tran ... d-class-10
and
http://www.flipkart.com/transcend-sd-8g ... rqhgdazkfp
With the highest overclock it takes a few days to corrupt them while with medium overclocking a couple of weeks.
Raspi is shutdown properly.

gsh

Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Does this corruption occur randomly whilst running or does it look like it's shutdown properly and then failed to restart?

If it's randomly occurred, can you check for any error message in dmesg?

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

Huk

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:53 am

@ShiftPlusOne:

Thanks for the info ;]

@gsh:

Yesterday I ran the following script on my PI:

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Overclock_stability_test

It took about two hours to complete, and while the temperature rose to more then 66 degress, test was successfull - no errors detected.

However, earlier that month - my Raspberry was acting weird - some software failed to run, apt-get update - was failing, and Raspbian was becoming unstable - I set system to automaticly check and repair any disk errors during boot, restarted raspberry, and that was it - it never came back up again.

I don't know why I was getting such a huge disk errors, that even apt-get was failing, my PI was running on turbo, and was used as a mini server and a proxy server...

I thought my power supply was not adequate, but since it passed stress test just fine I don't know anymore.

kalehrl

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:30 pm

gsh wrote:Does this corruption occur randomly whilst running or does it look like it's shutdown properly and then failed to restart?

If it's randomly occurred, can you check for any error message in dmesg?

Gordon
In my case, the raspi is either shutdown properly and failed to restart or the Ethernet went down and I had to pull the plug.

Tobor

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:43 pm

FWIW, I have always had problems with SD card corruption when overclocking core. 2 SD cards, one is a no-name 16GB Class 6 and the other a 8GB A-data Class 8. Raspi is 256MB Model B. Typically happens silently i.e. nothing in dmesg / messages and during apt-get update. Having said that, quite some time ago (=several months) I "overclocked" the SD card (emmc clock 150000000 instead of 100000000) and have not had any corruption issues since, running at 1.1GHz / 500 / 500 (CPU / core / DRAM)*. I thnk there have been a few threads around here where some users have reported with similar type experience.

*exception to the rule, maybe 4 weeks ago apt-get update & rpi-update did corrupt my card but this was not silent i.e. got a lot of -110 errors after the update, even using normal applications, all of which is unlike what happened previously when corruption did occur. Not 100% sure but I think I noticed people reporting USB and/or Ethernet issues, more than usual, around the same time.

@gsh: if you think it would help to have a Raspi & SD card with "proven corruption track record", just let me know and will be happy to send you mine.

dom

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:36 pm

We are testing a possible corruption fix. If you've got sdcard corruption problems then have a look at instructions here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/415

Return to “Troubleshooting”