liamorourke

Re: NO COMPOSITE VIDEO, need help!

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:21 pm

just a thought... and i cant be asked to read th5rough the whole of this thread so sorry if you have already tried this but... I was getting this same issue when I first got my Pi. Turned out the Scart connector I was using for some reason wasnt working. SO I unplugged the Composite/ RCA from the scart and plugged it straight into the yellow RCA/ phono port on my TV. Then it worked.

DougieLawson

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Some SCART connectors have a direction (input/output) switch.
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/0 ... onnectors/
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:44 pm

some TV's need an activation signal from the SCART to automatically select the SCART composite input, otherwise you need to select which input the TV uses manually. A simple RCA to SCART cable doesn't provide the activation signal.

drgeoff

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:26 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Some SCART connectors have a direction (input/output) switch.
And some SCART to phono adaptors are only for getting video and audio out from a SCART socket. Failure guaranteed!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Wheel_nut

Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Using the information gleaned from this thread, I am trying to edit the config.txt file to allow me to switch monitors.

However, the file has protected access and will not let me save the edited file. In fact, the Folder seems to be protected because I cannot even save a copy of the original config.txt file in the Folder.

Any suggestions welcome on how to curcumvent this. :geek:

drgeoff

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Put "sudo" (without the quotes) at the start of the command line you type to invoke the editor.

And please do not hijack a thread by asking an unrelated question.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kiwijam777

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Same issue, nothing here helped. I chalked it up to a bad cord. While searching Amazon for a replacement, I came across a user comment that made all the difference: NOT ALL COMPOSITE CABLES ARE CONFIGURED THE SAME WAY, the lines on the tip can be in different orders, and the order of how the pi reads them is not the same order as for camcorders. SO, to translate a camcorder cable for your pi, the RED IS THE VIDEO, and the white and yellow are audio. Here is what I did and it worked.

A. config.txt
1. Used hdmi and to boot up and go into /boot/config.txt: ("cd /boot" <enter> and then "sudo nano config.txt" <enter>)
2. Made sure SDTV was configured for PAL in config.txt: "sdtv_mode=2". It was not necessary to use the following (put "#" in front): hdmi_force_hotplug=1, hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1.
3. Saved file and shut down: "sudo halt".

B. Hardware
1. unplugged hdmi
2. unplugged micro usb power
3. plugged composite video into pi and plugged in RED rca tip into YELLOW video input on TV, and plugged white and yellow rca tips into the white and red audio inputs on TV.
3. replugged micro usb power and powered on.

That worked for me.

evanpeeair

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:21 am

sigmamiller wrote:I had a problem with the composite video and I fixed it by removing:

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
from my /boot/config.txt.
UGH, lost an hour to this. Thanks, fixed it!

MohitBagur

Wed May 27, 2015 1:04 pm

As far as I know, you'll have to hold down Shift key while typing 1,2,3 or 4. Got it working fine on my Pi 2!

rei99

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:40 pm

I've tried all.... Nothing :(
I've 2 Retropie SD (one old and one new just for experiments), both working well on VGA, but nothing for AV composite cable.
Blue screen, with some cable something sometimes, I think to be fool.
I've checked the PIN/connection (Video is on Red RCA, the other cable are wrong), but nothing appeared...
In the config.txt fils, I've change only the # on sdtv_mode=2, also tried to unmark other lines, but nothig.
What I could do? :oops:

yunusar

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:48 am

I have the same problem. There is no output current from Raspi RCA connector...
trying all, no result...

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:23 am

yunusar wrote:I have the same problem. There is no output current from Raspi RCA connector...
trying all, no result...
99 times out of 100 it's due to the cable being wired wrong.
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/0 ... ideo-jack/

The original RPis with a yellow RCA connector were foolproof, the B+, A+, 2B and 3 aren't foolproof.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

yunusar

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:56 pm

My cable works fine on my friend's Raspi.
I am curious. I remove the composite socket of Raspi, then I test pin 24 (composite video) and ground Raspi. Finally I know why there was no current on the jack, because the pin 24 is connected to the ground ....
Should it be like that? I am confused.
There is a solution? Thanks.

Burngate

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:58 pm

yunusar wrote:My cable works fine on my friend's Raspi.
What model does your friend have? What model is your's?
I remove the composite socket of Raspi
Do you mean you unsoldered it? If so, why?
then I test pin 24 (composite video)
I'm lost here. Nowhere can I see a pin labeled "24" with video on it!

yunusar

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:29 pm

What model does your friend have? What model is your's?
Mine raspi 2, and my friend's raspi 2
Do you mean you unsoldered it? If so, why?
Yes I unsoldered, because I supposed the problem is in socket, but not...
I'm lost here. Nowhere can I see a pin labeled "24" with video on it
In the back, "pp24"

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:07 pm

PP24 is the label for a test-point, not for a connector pin. But yes, its connected to the composite video signal.

Burngate

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:05 am

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've spent the last several hours looking for my meter. It's here somewhere ... I last had it only a day or so ago ... Oh, *!*!(

But, yes, as mahjongg says, that's the correct test point.
According to the original Pi diagrams (I doubt that bit would have changed) there should be a 15Ω resistor between testpoint and DAC, a connection to "DAC term", and protection diodes to ground and 2v5
If you're reading a dead short from that testpoint to ground, then maybe one of the diodes has gone short? Otherwise, the "DAC term" may have got destroyed, somehow.

yunusar

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:36 pm

But, yes, as mahjongg says, that's the correct test point.
Thanks for you and mahjongg
If you're reading a dead short from that testpoint to ground, then maybe one of the diodes has gone short?

I look in the diagram, the diode is D4 (BAV99). Is it correct?
My Raspi still working well except composite output. I can SSH- ing Raspi via ethernet from my laptop. I do not know its HDMI output working or not, because I do not have an HDMI display.

jazzl

Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Dear All,

Just got my rpi3 and wanna donate my old rpi1 B+ to my family in law who lives in the Philippines.
They have a tv like this

http://bacolodlive.com/708/sanyo-flat-t ... mers-only/

said to be NTSC.

I want that they can use it with xbmc, but there´ll be no way to fiddle with settings once I´m there in a month, since they got no TV with an HDMI connector. Only way would be to remove the SD, and try to reconfigure it on their computer.
So for testing, my first thought was to try connecting it to the RCA inputs of my 720p flat screen. The result of that is that it does not boot into xbmc (xbian), but just comes with an ugly terminal prompt with a pinkish background color.
I thought that at this point it´s better to do not more before I´ve asked you guys: Will the raspberrys composite even be able to provide an acceptable output for a 720p TV, and if I´d manage to get things running, would it not require retweaking once we try get it running with the Sanyo TV?
Is there any already made image of xbmc available somewhere that I can just download and it´ll run on any NTSC TV? Then that´d be the easiest.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Troubleshooting”