ballow70

NO COMPOSITE VIDEO, need help!

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:06 pm

ever since i got my rpi ive had this problem, it works fine on hdmi but not at all for the composite video output...
ive read several threads that are some what related to this but NONE helped at all
ive narrowed it down to not being a problem with the ground in my cables, mainly because i have used several different cables...im really stuck on this one no clue what to do with this cause its not the Pi or my monitor....no clue
Here are the specs:
Raspbmc Newest version available
Rasberry pi chip is micron
hdmi works perfect everytime
composite doesnt at all

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: NO COMPOSITE VIDEO, need help!

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:14 pm

ballow70

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks for the insanely fast response but it still didnt work...
i formatted the sd card again just to make sure the card was fresh, then loaded the image onto it then put power to it the finally i plugged the composite into it and it still didnt work

redhawk

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:08 pm

The Pi cannot support composite and HDMI at the same time I assume this is what you're trying to achieve.
if you wish to use composite video mode the HDMI cable must be removed.

Richard S.

ballow70

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Im actually just doing one at a time and its really weird that its not working, ive had a different Pi a little while ago and it worked perfect with the exact same setup im doing now, only composite and power hooked up NOT hdmi and compsite

ballow70

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:46 am

Ive completely ruled out the possibility of the problem being in my tv, It has to be something in the configure.txt or some hardware problem with the sd card.....still just guessing though :o

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 am

Hi ballow70;
Just to make sure, when you switch to composite you do reboot the Pi right? If you just unplug hdmi and then connect composite the Pi will still be trying to output video on the hdmi port. It needs to boot up and not detect a hdmi device in order to give composite video output.

Can you post the config.txt file from your SD card? And maybe the make and model of your TV.

Burngate

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:02 am

If none of the above helps, you could try this: try to boot from an SDcard that only has Bootcode.bin, start.elf, fixup.dat and config.txt in the fat32 partition.
With just those, the Pi should boot as far as the four-colour splash screen, then stop.

This removes all the possibilities inherent in the Linux / Rasbbmc booting, and should give you a chance of finding the problem.

You don't really need to remove anything from the card - just so long as the Pi can't find the next bit in the boot sequence.
The important thing not to have is kernel.img, so just renaming it should work
Last edited by Burngate on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ballow70

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:30 pm

thanks for all the feedback, but I am not able to get the make and model of my tv right now, im at school...but ill be home at 3:30
soo I will try all of these as soon as possible. As for the bootcode.bin I have used the default one that came with Rasbmc and I have also tried the bootcode.bin from github, neither work....I have also tried altering the config.txt but still not working. and every time I tried altering the config I DID replace it with the original after it didn't work. like I said I will try every suggestion and give the info on my tv as soon as I can! thanks guys

ballow70

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 pm

Al4ight finally got home and tested the above steps and nothing.....im thinking its a pi issue cause NOTHING is working
oh and the make of my tv is mitibishi no clue of the year though
if it is an issue with the pi what do I do about it, I ordered it off amazon so I cant get a refund or exchange can I?

redhawk

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Are you sure the TV is working correctly, do you have any composite video capable device to test it with??

Richard S.

ballow70

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Yes I am positive my tv works my direct tv box is hooked up to it playing fine...and yes I unplug the rca cable from the tv box and plug them into the pi

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:21 pm

in other similar situation, in the end it simply was a bad RCA cable.

check if the PI really boots, (look at the LED's) don't connect anything to the HDMI while booting, if booting NOOBs press 2 and 3 to generate both NTSC and PAL signals.

ballow70

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:10 am

nothing....
is there a way to connect the composite video cable to the gpio connectors? like one end of the cable in the tv and the other connected to the gpio?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:30 am

ballow70 wrote:nothing....
is there a way to connect the composite video cable to the gpio connectors? like one end of the cable in the tv and the other connected to the gpio?
what do you think that would accomplish? No the GPIO's cannot create a video signals.

I'm still guessing you have not managed to set up the system so that it actually boots (without the HDMI connector connected, could be a missing ground issue, yes its theoretically possible that the PI doesn't receive power when you pull the HDMI plug, as the HDMI cable might close a otherwise missing ground loop. its very unlikely though).

The PI has no BIOS, so it won't actually create any video signal until it manages to boot from a well crafted SD-card.
The only way, (without a video signal) you can tell if the PI at least attempts to boot is by observing the green LED.

by the way, why, if the PI can generate a HDMI signal, do you still need it to generate the far worse composite video?

Do you understand the use of config.txt? It can be changed to boot Raspbian with a range of different Composite signals, but default is NTSC, which your TV might not like.

In contrast simply booting NOOBS will never generate a composite signal, not even with a pulled HDMI cable, unless you command it to do so by pressing the right key on an attached and working keyboard ('3' or '4').

So you should be able to boot NOOBS with both HDMI and composite cables connected, and by pressing the keys 1 to 4 you should be able to switch "live" from HDMI-optimal or HDMI-safe to PAL or NTSC, and back.

DeeJay

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 pm

ballow70 wrote: Here are the specs:
Just a belated query from the sidelines...

Does the Raspbmc distribution have support for Composite Video? [Just thinking that if the aim is to make an HD-capable 'media centre' you might not expect the user to have a low-res output device?] Or is it perhaps not enabled by default in the Raspbmc custom configuration settings?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

drgeoff

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:57 pm

DeeJay wrote:
ballow70 wrote: Here are the specs:
Just a belated query from the sidelines...

Does the Raspbmc distribution have support for Composite Video? [Just thinking that if the aim is to make an HD-capable 'media centre' you might not expect the user to have a low-res output device?] Or is it perhaps not enabled by default in the Raspbmc custom configuration settings?
I was using Raspbmc with composite a few months ago without problem. It was an up-to-date Raspbmc (stand-alone not NOOBS) at that time.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

ballow70

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:47 pm

Sorry about asking if gpio would work...im just trying everything ..... still pretty new to this
Alright, just to clear things up I have a perfect sd card.....boots up right away on HDMI.And yes I know how to edit the configure.txt..... ive recently tried a different image wheezy but still not working on composite....also the retropie project still not working both of these other images work
perfect on HDMI.
Im using the rpi with a small composite monitor thats why I want composite

ballow70

Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:44 am

Is there ANYTHING I can do hardware wise to fix this, because the software side is fine...as far as I can tell.
when the hdmi is unplugged and the composite is plugged in I plug the power in and it boots up but no image, I know its booting because of the green light, it blinks the same way it does when it is showing video on hdmi...gotta be an issue with the pi. Im honestly not sure at this point

Burngate

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:19 am

Cut the problem into small bits.

First:
Boot it as you are doing, without HDMI.
If you now plug in the HDMI, do you get the image? In other words, does the Pi think HDMI is connected even when it isn't?

Second:
Rename all the files in the first partion of the card except bootcode.bin, start.elf and fixup.dat
What's the result?

Third:
Put back config.txt
What's the result?

redhawk

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:21 pm

If you can login to your Pi via ssh then try the following commands:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -o
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -c "PAL 4:3"

Is composite video still dead?

Also if you have an audio cable with a RCA connector you could try plugging that into the composite video port, if working you should get an audible buzzing sound of approximately 50Hz or 60Hz depending on your refresh rate.

Richard S.

ballow70

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Composite STILL DEAD....im getting nothing, i just downloaded NOOBS and tried typing 3 or 4 and still got nothing, im POSITIVE its not my cable or the sd car....it HAS to be a hardware issue, what on the board would cause this to go dead?! is there a work around?

ballow70

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:54 pm

To Burngate:
i will try all of your situations as soon as i can , not home at the moment
thanks for your info hope something will give a solution!

redhawk

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:03 pm

The composite signal comes directly off the SoC if the track is somehow broken (although I'd be really surprised it if was) this could account for your lack of video signal.
If you have a digital voltmeter you could check to see if any voltage is appearing at the RCA port although connecting a audio cable to an amplifier via RCA would be just as effective.
I don't use N00BS so I cannot comment on how well it works but if you have Raspbian flashed only install then make sure sdtv_mode=2 (without # at the start) is present inside the boot configuration file /boot/config.txt.

Richard S.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:07 pm

you can get the schematics of the PI here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/technical-he ... -documents

as you can see, (sheet 2, coordinate I-7) there is nothing in the form of hardware for composite video, (more than the SoC itself) than a 15 ohm resistor R44, and a pair of ESD (anti static) diodes D4, and of course the connector itself.

hardly anything that can break. but you could look for missing parts, or perhaps a blob of solder shorting something.

Return to “Troubleshooting”