Unicus
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:53 pm

So I tried to reproduce everything I did before, so it worked.
What I did was take away the SD Card, put it into computer, search for anything on the card, then put it back into Pi, power it on, and then the choice menu shows up and I select Raspbian, then it restarts to get into the OS, but now, it loops back into the rainbow screen, even after powering it off and on several times.
The only way to get back to OS selection screen, is to put it into my computer, then back into Pi.

These also happened twice, but never again:
(in the image below)
Attachments
2013-11-11 19.34.35.jpg
2013-11-11 19.34.35.jpg (55.31 KiB) Viewed 2338 times

User avatar
FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 5046
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Bristol, U.K.
Contact: Website

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Unicus wrote: ...
I tested if it received enough power, I'm reading it should be between 4.75 and 5.25.
I am using a Galaxy S3 charger with 1A, but when I measure the voltage, its 4.72.
However, I don't think this should be an issue, because then, I would have troubles booting into NOOBS as well, right?
As for the screen, I tried multiple ones, but all are VGA, so I'm using a HDMI to VGA adapter.
I would class that PSU as "marginal"** and it's possible that the power required during the NOOBS boot sequence may be less than an O.S. boot (but, I guess only @rdb et al could confirm that).
How is your HDMI to VGA adapter powered? (If it's not externally powered then that may be part of the problem).
Does your Galaxy charger have a fixed lead or could it be swapped with another, perhaps shorter, one that might introduce less "voltage droop"?
Trev.
**For reference the voltage on my Pi's during boot is more like 4.8 - 4.9 V, but I use mainly a HDMI-->DVI based monitor (often via a powered HDMI switcher) or composite into an old, but large screen T.V.

P.S. Whilst I was writing this I see you've also posted some "partial" success.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Unicus
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:04 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Unicus wrote: ...
I tested if it received enough power, I'm reading it should be between 4.75 and 5.25.
I am using a Galaxy S3 charger with 1A, but when I measure the voltage, its 4.72.
However, I don't think this should be an issue, because then, I would have troubles booting into NOOBS as well, right?
As for the screen, I tried multiple ones, but all are VGA, so I'm using a HDMI to VGA adapter.
I would class that PSU as "marginal"** and it's possible that the power required during the NOOBS boot sequence may be less than an O.S. boot (but, I guess only @rdb et al could confirm that).
How is your HDMI to VGA adapter powered? (If it's not externally powered then that may be part of the problem).
Does your Galaxy charger have a fixed lead or could it be swapped with another, perhaps shorter, one that might introduce less "voltage droop"?
Trev.
**For reference the voltage on my Pi's during boot is more like 4.8 - 4.9 V, but I use mainly a HDMI-->DVI based monitor (often via a powered HDMI switcher) or composite into an old, but large screen T.V.

P.S. Whilst I was writing this I see you've also posted some "partial" success.
I don't have another charger cable, but I have another charger, which is 5V, but just 0.5 Ampere.
The results are the same, however, when I plugged in for the first time now, I had the same symptoms as the ones described earlier, when I take out the SD card, and use it in my PC, then putting it back.
As you say, it really is marginal, even inferior by a tad, than what is required.

I will try another charger when I will get one, probably tomorrow or a few days, then post the results.

As for the HDMI adaptor, I am using this one here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HDMI-Ma ... 2c6e1bad70

rdb
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 pm

Unicus wrote:So I tried to reproduce everything I did before, so it worked.
What I did was take away the SD Card, put it into computer, search for anything on the card, then put it back into Pi, power it on, and then the choice menu shows up and I select Raspbian, then it restarts to get into the OS, but now, it loops back into the rainbow screen, even after powering it off and on several times.
The only way to get back to OS selection screen, is to put it into my computer, then back into Pi.

These also happened twice, but never again:
(in the image below)
It doesn't sound like the card was formatted correctly. How are you doing it?

Unicus
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:56 am

rdb wrote:
Unicus wrote:So I tried to reproduce everything I did before, so it worked.
What I did was take away the SD Card, put it into computer, search for anything on the card, then put it back into Pi, power it on, and then the choice menu shows up and I select Raspbian, then it restarts to get into the OS, but now, it loops back into the rainbow screen, even after powering it off and on several times.
The only way to get back to OS selection screen, is to put it into my computer, then back into Pi.

These also happened twice, but never again:
(in the image below)
It doesn't sound like the card was formatted correctly. How are you doing it?
I am formatting it using SDFormatter, then copying NOOBS 1.3.2 contents to it.

However, I noticed that this behavior is not specific to the things I described above anymore.
It just seems that if I turn on the PI, then it works until the OS selection screen, and when I select the OS, and restarts to boot it, I'm back to rainbow screen.
Before, I had the rainbow screen regardless of what I did, every time I turned on Pi.
The only thing that worked was NOOBS.
Now I can OS select, it just doesn't boot into it.

Update 2:

I am noticing that if I plug it out, then back in, it will only take me to rainbow screen, no OS selection.
However, whenever I change the power source (same cable, different USB port or Galaxy charger), it takes me to OS select screen.
Every single time.

Now I even managed to get back to Raspbian for the second time, but I tried reproducing everything I did, but with no success.

Unicus
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:18 pm

Update:

I tried with another charger, this time I measured 4.975 V
I am having the same symptoms.
Any other ideas I could try?

ceene
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:25 am

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:00 am

Hi all

I'm the original poster of this thread. This is a summary of everything that've happened to me and my PIs.

I now have tested 4 Raspberry PI with the same origin: RS package that includes the PI itself and an SD card.

All of them work flawlessly, except for one of them which, no matter which SD card or power source I use, always fails.

It's only able to boot NOOBS and sometimes I've been able to boot a custom firmware made with buildroot, but never Raspbian nor other distro, neither manually installed into the SD nor by using NOOBS itself.

So, at least in MY case, it is definitely a matter of bad hardware, although a very strange fault. Color me surprised.

Return to “Troubleshooting”