HapaDude
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:58 am

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Now have tried rebooting into Raspbian - no problem.
[SanDisk Ultra 32GB Cl10, NOOBS Lite/Test]

Jekotia
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:29 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Using a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A) with a Model B2.

Same post-install issues others have described on NOOBS 1.3 (with RaspMC being the sole OS to work, due to FAT32).
No issues on NOOBS 1.3.1.

Unicus
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:50 pm

HapaDude wrote:Now have tried rebooting into Raspbian - no problem.
[SanDisk Ultra 32GB Cl10, NOOBS Lite/Test]

Hello,

I see many people are having issues.
I am using a Kingston 8GB SD card.
I manage to boot into Noobs 1.3.1, install Raspbian, click ok, then black screen happens.
If I restart, either the Rainbow screen appears, either black screen, and it stops there.
I also tried removing all peripherals except SD card, power source (Galaxy s3 charger) and Monitor, which is VGA, through a HDMI to VGA converter.

I am trying to find Noobs 1.2, but I dont seem to be able, I try to download it via torrents, but it wont download it.
Can anybody point me to what to do next?
Thanks a lot!

rdb
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 am

Unicus wrote:
HapaDude wrote:Now have tried rebooting into Raspbian - no problem.
[SanDisk Ultra 32GB Cl10, NOOBS Lite/Test]

Hello,

I see many people are having issues.
I am using a Kingston 8GB SD card.
I manage to boot into Noobs 1.3.1, install Raspbian, click ok, then black screen happens.
If I restart, either the Rainbow screen appears, either black screen, and it stops there.
I also tried removing all peripherals except SD card, power source (Galaxy s3 charger) and Monitor, which is VGA, through a HDMI to VGA converter.

I am trying to find Noobs 1.2, but I dont seem to be able, I try to download it via torrents, but it wont download it.
Can anybody point me to what to do next?
Thanks a lot!
Can you confirm that you are using the v1.3.1 test release and not the official v1.3 release that's listed on the downloads page?

Unicus
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:54 am

rdb wrote:
Unicus wrote:
HapaDude wrote:Now have tried rebooting into Raspbian - no problem.
[SanDisk Ultra 32GB Cl10, NOOBS Lite/Test]

Hello,

I see many people are having issues.
I am using a Kingston 8GB SD card.
I manage to boot into Noobs 1.3.1, install Raspbian, click ok, then black screen happens.
If I restart, either the Rainbow screen appears, either black screen, and it stops there.
I also tried removing all peripherals except SD card, power source (Galaxy s3 charger) and Monitor, which is VGA, through a HDMI to VGA converter.

I am trying to find Noobs 1.2, but I dont seem to be able, I try to download it via torrents, but it wont download it.
Can anybody point me to what to do next?
Thanks a lot!
Can you confirm that you are using the v1.3.1 test release and not the official v1.3 release that's listed on the downloads page?

Hello, thanks for your reply,
Yes, I can confirm, I tried both 1.3 and 1.3.1 which I downloaded from links in this post.
Today I managed to download and deploy Raspbian from NOOBS 1.2.1, but with this version I am also experiencing the same simptoms.
Could it be the board? Should I RMA it?

rdb
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:48 am

Unicus wrote:
Hello, thanks for your reply,
Yes, I can confirm, I tried both 1.3 and 1.3.1 which I downloaded from links in this post.
Today I managed to download and deploy Raspbian from NOOBS 1.2.1, but with this version I am also experiencing the same simptoms.
Could it be the board? Should I RMA it?
If it boots NOOBS then there is nothing wrong with the board.

You should follow the normal troubleshooting steps to see if this will fix your issue.

Phill Rymer
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:01 am

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:13 am

i had a similar problem and reformated the sd card twice
1st put sd card in windows and go to my computer select the card go to propertys and quick format
after reformating go to Sd Formatter and format again
using winrar its free for 40days open files and select extract to sd card
after i did that it worked fine

I did read somewere that SD cards can be difficult to reformat some windows generated coding can be retained and effect reflashing cant remember were it may have been android tablet forum it gave this out as a solution though.

I

sirvival
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:10 pm

I can confirm that the 1.3.1 lite works for me and my Sandisk Ultra 16gig Card (Class 10).
With 1.3. only NOOBS worked. Any installed OS did not work.

sendust7
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi folks,

My RPi is presently on order and is due to arrive next week. I had a spare SanDisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 lying around, so I bypassed NOOBS, booted to Ubuntu 13.04. ran GParted, formatted my SD as FAT32 (not sure this was necessary) and then flashed the 2013-09-25 raspbian image:

sudo dd bs=4M if=2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/mmcblk0

The result (as expected) were FAT16 (56MiB) and EXT4 (2.7GiB) partitions on /dev/mmcblk0p1 and /dev/mmcblk0p2 respectively.

My question is, has anyone tried the following using a SanDisk Ultra: Back up original FAT16 boot files, reformat FAT16 to FAT32, restore boot files to FAT32 and boot RPi ...?

Thanks ;)

GeeTee
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:45 am

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi all,

Experienced the 'Black Screen' with a Noobs 1.3 install on a SanDisk card :(

I read though this thread, page 8 being the bit with the answer, and have just downloaded and installed Noobs 1.3.1 (Test) on my Pi Model B (256mb), with SanDisk UItra 16GB30mbps class 10 SDHC 1 card.

The install was fine, and I saw a boot screen :) , but I did experience a failure during first boot :o - 2.443942 Indeed it is in host mode hprt0=00001101 - and the Pi hung. I waited a couple of minutes and then rebooted. Second and and subsequent times through the Pi boots o.k. All seems fine.

H/ware info: Pi Model B 256mb. Pi Hub. Asus EeeBox PC Wireless keyboard and mouse. Iiyama E2473HDS monitor (HDMI). SanDisk UItra 16GB30mbps class 10 SDHC 1.

UPDATE: After 24 hours began to notice failures. Wireless set-up would not work. Downloads 'appeared' slow. Have reverted to Raspbian direct install. Wireless connects. SD card access 'appears' quicker.

Thanks for all the foundation efforts,
GeeTee
Last edited by GeeTee on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinybruk
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:14 am

Tried NOOBS 1.3.1 full version with 16gb Sandisk Ultra SD Card

NOOBS booted Ok, Installes Raspbian OK

Rebooted

All seems fine !

Can connect to net over wifi, all seems good!

rasbo
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:49 am

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:32 am

Had the same issue with 1.3.0 and a 16gb Sandisk Ultra SD Card

Works just fine with 1.3.1 .. well spotted !

dj

User avatar
GoodGuy98
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:44 pm

@rdb

Can you give an idea when you will push it into the main channel as the "recommended" release?

Gustaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:54 am

GoodGuy98 wrote:@rdb

Can you give an idea when you will push it into the main channel as the "recommended" release?
Good question.
It would be worth making users aware via NOOBS download pages.
Otherwise many people might be wandering around in the dark like myself.

I still need to read through all the pages of this thread as it seems some sort of solution (v1.3.1???) might be available.

FYI
I experience the same issue with SanDisk Ultra 32GB card.
I posted some details in another thread :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=54911

EDIT:
OK, I have read through the entire thread and located 1.3.1 download link.
Downloading the updated release of offline version right now - I have not tried or intended to try the light version.
I should be able to test 1.3.1 this morning.
The offending SD card is indeed SanDisk 32GB Ultra.
The Pi was bought as a part of kit from Maplin.
Power supply, keyboard and mouse come from the same kit - connected directly to the Pi and not via an USB hub.
I would strongly suggest to post some sort of info on the download sub-site of raspberrypi.org to warn users about these problems and direct them to this thread.

EDIT2:
Bad luck does not want to leave me alone ...
Downloaded the 1.3.1 image but had no USB flash drive at hand to take the file back home for testing.
So I bought one at lunchtime.
SanDisk Cruzer 16GB ...
Windows 7 could NOT recognize it !
Searched the web and ... Samsung's Kies c**p software prevents these drives to work.
OK, I stopped that KiesTrayAgent.exe process and the drive got noticed.
I will test 1.3.1 this evening.
With a little bit of good luck ...
:lol:
Last edited by Gustaw on Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany4k
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Just tested this with my new 16gb sandisk card (ultra) and works like a charm. Thanks! :D

rdb
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:43 pm

We've had a report from a user that v1.3.1 doesn't fix this issue in all cases (see https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/issues/117) and so I'm waiting to confirm that the latest firmware release will fix this issue for him before pushing what will be v1.3.2 out to the mainline.

Sorry for the delay.

Gustaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:43 am

Gustaw wrote:I will test 1.3.1 this evening.
I only had little time for testing last evening.

So far so good, i.e. with NOOBS 1.3.1 Raspbian booted up.

Just to confirm what I did (standard process) :

on Windows machine :
- with SDFormatter reformatted the offending SanDisk Ultra 32GB card
- transfered NOOBS 1.3.1 files across and ejected the card

on RPi :
- inserted SD card, connected composite video cable, connected keyboard and mouse
- powerd up RPi
- pressed 3 key to switch video mode
- NOOBS screen appeared, selected Raspbian and clicked on Install option
- once installation finished I clicked on OK and ... Raspbian started to boot up - excellent
- I only had a quick look at raspi-config and changed nothing, only checked whether SSH is enabled
- shut down OS and disconnected RPi from power
- re-power RPi, Raspbian booted up, no issues so far
- shut down OS and disconnected RPi from power

on RPi again, headless, trying to SSH :
- set up RPi as headless unit, connected network cable, no keyboard or mouse
- powered up RPi and tried to SSH to it with PuTTy
- no connecttion was established (network LEDs were on)
- had to power down RPi without proper shut down
- tried the same procedure again but it did not work again

I had no time for more tests yesterday.

I am puzzled why I could not SSH the RPi.
As a newbie I can only guess :
- missed to adjust any international settings in raspi-config, e.g. time zone ?
- does plain-vanilla NOOBS require connected keyboard at start up (so it can be put into recovery mode with shift key) ?

I can re-try headless NOOBS setup with v.1.3.1.
Let's see whether I can SSH to it afterwards ...
Any other suggestions ?

EDIT :
If keyboard is not detected by NOOBS (headless setup) would it proceed to recovery mode by default ?
I may try a trick from NOOBS site :
How to disable using the keyboard to trigger entering Recovery Mode

In some rare cases, you may find that NOOBS incorrectly detects a SHIFT keypress from your keyboard regardless of the presence of user input. In such cases it may be helpful to disable using the keyboard to trigger Recovery Mode being entered.

To prevent a SHIFT keypress from entering Recovery Mode on boot (maybe you have a problematic keyboard which is erroneously triggering every time you boot), you can:

1.Append keyboardtriggerdisable to the argument list in the recovery.cmdline file which is found in the root NOOBS directory.
2.Reboot

gratz
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:49 pm

Just got a new Pi model B (512MB) and had exactly the same issue with a SanDisk MicroSD (with adapter) 16GB Ultra Class 10 (using NOOBS 1.3 (2013-09-27) I can boot NOOBS fine, install Raspbian, but after that I just get the multicolour splash screen, followed by a quick flash of the recovery screen then nothing!).
Tried with NOOBS-lite 1.3 with wired network, installation went through same as with NOOBS, then at the end, rebooted and working fine since.

Gustaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 am

One detail I noticed ...

With NOOBS 1.3 the recovery partition was accessible from Windows (but its size reduced to c. 1.2GB as expected).
Now with NOOBS 1.3.1 it seems the same partition is reported by Windows as RAW and it cannot be accessed.
At least on my SD card.
Is that an expected behaviour or is it something wrong with my card ?

I will reformat the card and re-install NOOBS 1.3.1
Let's see whether Recovery partition turns to RAW again.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:09 pm

It shouldn't, the first primary partition is just FAT16/32 formatted and therefore should work properly... Usually this sort of thing is related to something that Windows doesn't like about the formatting or just a 'have you tried turning it off and on again' type thing

What we call a Heisenbug!

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

Gustaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:24 pm

gsh wrote:just a 'have you tried turning it off and on again' type thing
Actually it could be it ...
Possibly it got corrupted when I was trying to make SSH to work and was forced to power down headless non-responding RPi without properly shutting it down.
Let me re-test the installation this evening.
I have NOOBS 1.3.1 image ready on the card for another try.
I will report back.

Gustaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Gustaw wrote:
gsh wrote:just a 'have you tried turning it off and on again' type thing
Actually it could be it ...
Possibly it got corrupted when I was trying to make SSH to work and was forced to power down headless non-responding RPi without properly shutting it down.
Let me re-test the installation this evening.
I have NOOBS 1.3.1 image ready on the card for another try.
I will report back.
Did some testing.
I am nearly certain the FAT32 partition got corrupted when I had to power down the RPi.

Unicus
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:48 pm

So today, after a few weeks, my new Samsung SDHC 32GB Class 10 card arrived.
Meanwhile v1.3.2 was also released.
However, my problem persists...

rdb
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Unicus wrote:So today, after a few weeks, my new Samsung SDHC 32GB Class 10 card arrived.
Meanwhile v1.3.2 was also released.
However, my problem persists...
Can you explain in detail what the issue is you are having with 1.3.2? (Including the behaviour of the LED's during booting, the method you are using to format the SD card and the type of display device you are using)

Unicus
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:28 pm

rdb wrote:
Unicus wrote:So today, after a few weeks, my new Samsung SDHC 32GB Class 10 card arrived.
Meanwhile v1.3.2 was also released.
However, my problem persists...
Can you explain in detail what the issue is you are having with 1.3.2? (Including the behaviour of the LED's during booting, the method you are using to format the SD card and the type of display device you are using)
I just booted successfully into Raspbian for the first time, after all these tries.
I really don't know what made the difference.
However, I now did a sudo shutdown -r now command to check if it will boot correctly or not.
Unfortunately it didn't.

What happens is that the red led is on and on the screen, I can see the rainbow image.
NOOBS 1.3.2 boots just fine whenever I want it.
It's just the OS that won't boot.
I installed multiple OS's. When it booted, I had the option to choose which one I want it, but when this rainbow screen happens, I have no choices, and it seems that nothing else is initialized, because keyboard and mouse are not on, and LAN is not blinking either.
When I turn it on, the ACT led is turning on for a split second, then just red led.

I tested if it received enough power, I'm reading it should be between 4.75 and 5.25.
I am using a Galaxy S3 charger with 1A, but when I measure the voltage, its 4.72.
However, I don't think this should be an issue, because then, I would have troubles booting into NOOBS as well, right?

As for the screen, I tried multiple ones, but all are VGA, so I'm using a HDMI to VGA adapter.

Return to “Troubleshooting”