raev

Re: won't boot to OS - noobs 1.3

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:16 pm

I have the same problem as described in this thread. Everything installs okay (Openelec and Raspbian). But when you choose a OS to boot into, the screen goes black.

I have tried both Noobs and Noobs Lite, with same result. I use a Sandisk Ultra 32 GB memory card class 10.

If it can help in anyway, I would be happy to post the text from different files, config.txt etc.

rdb

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:55 pm

raev wrote:I have the same problem as described in this thread. Everything installs okay (Openelec and Raspbian). But when you choose a OS to boot into, the screen goes black.

I have tried both Noobs and Noobs Lite, with same result. I use a Sandisk Ultra 32 GB memory card class 10.

If it can help in anyway, I would be happy to post the text from different files, config.txt etc.
Is anyone having this issue with an SD card other than a SanDisk microSDHC Ultra 32GB? Is it specific to that card?

ChristianGeek

Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:19 pm

rdb wrote:Is anyone having this issue with an SD card other than a SanDisk microSDHC Ultra 32GB? Is it specific to that card?
Yes, I'm using a brand new SanDisk Ultra 16GB SD card. Have tried every suggestion on this thread to no avail. Boot up, rainbow splash, NOOBS OS selection screen, HDMI signal lost, red LED only.

miguel_belbut

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Just wanted to say that I have the exact same symptoms with a Sandisk Ultra 16GB class U1 micro-sd card:
used latest noobs lite, installed a few os (raspbian, openelec, pidora, arch) as well as the data partition, all went ok, but after selecting (return key) an os in the boot selection screen, the screen goes blank and no boot.

rdb

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:29 pm

miguel_belbut wrote:Just wanted to say that I have the exact same symptoms with a Sandisk Ultra 16GB class U1 micro-sd card:
used latest noobs lite, installed a few os (raspbian, openelec, pidora, arch) as well as the data partition, all went ok, but after selecting (return key) an os in the boot selection screen, the screen goes blank and no boot.
Have you also tried this with a different SD card brand? I need to confirm that it's the card itself that's the issue, not however you're installing NOOBS on to the card.

miguel_belbut

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 pm

rdb wrote:Have you also tried this with a different SD card brand? I need to confirm that it's the card itself that's the issue, not however you're installing NOOBS on to the card.
I just tried with a Samsung 8GB class 6 micro-SD, using same version of NOOBS, and installed OpenElec and Raspbian. Both boot normally.

My next experiment will be to copy over the contents of this carde to the problematic one.

Done it, but it fails to boot any OS. Its the exact same image that worked on the 8GB card: I backed up the whole /dev/sdc (in Ubuntu, using the "Disks" application) and then restored to the 16GB card.

So, it really should be something related to the SD card. I recall some tuning of SDIO frequency is possible via the boot parameters, could that be useful in making these cards work?

docdailey

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:04 am

No boot here either sandisk ultra (red and black one). Very off behavior with the usb dongle also. I have to hotplug it. Very slow response right now as I type. Typing lags about 2 seconds (I am accessing via noobs recovery).help.

Cameron314159

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:30 am

I have experienced the same issue:

My Setup:

System: Raspberry Pi B
USB 1: Dell Mouse (wired not wireless)
USB 2: Dell Keyboard (wired not wireless)
Video Setup: HDMI to HDMI
(Tried on Sharp Aquos, Sony Bravia, and a Dell Monitor. All through their HDMI connection)

Card 1: 16 GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 30 MB/s (has issue)
Card 2: 16 GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 30 MB/s (has issue)
Card 3: 8 GB SanDisk Ultra II Class 4 15 MB/s (works okay)

Card Formatting Software: SD Formatter V4.0
Noobs Software: Noobs v1.3

Sequence to produce failure:
User Action 1)
Followed instructions from quick start guide v2.1 for Windows, up to and including powering on Raspberry Pi for Card #1 or Card #2 (16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 cards)
Notes:
-used links in guide to obtain software
-For Format Type (not specified in guide), I used "Full(Overwrite)"

Device Response 1)
-PWR and ACT LEDs are lit up red from this point on unless otherwise indicated
-Noobs brings up window with operating systems to install

User Action 2)
Select and install any operating system other than RaspBMC

Device Response 2)
-Device pops up window indicating progress of installation.
(ACT LED flashes green intermittently while this is occuring)
-Window indicating installation is completed pops up with OK button

User Action 3)
User clicks on OK with mouse

Device Response 3)
-ACT LED flashes green once and then goes back to red
-Screen goes Black
-Monitor/TV indicates no HDMI device is connected

User Action 4)
Check indicated card properties in windows 7 using windows explorer

Device Response 4 (Windows PC) )
Name: RECOVERY
File System: FAT
Used Space: 1.12 GB
Free Space: 64.4 MB
(Note: These results are identical to those found for Card # 3 (8GB DanDisk Ultra II Class 4), which runs ok)

Notably:
-RaspBMC installs and runs ok on Card #1 and Card #2 (16GB SanDisk Ultra Class 10 cards)
-All operating systems install and run ok on Card #3 (8GB DanDisk Ultra II Class 4)

As a side note, previewing the screensavers on the RaspBMC (other than Dim) seems to be extremely unstable and causes the device to crash, regardless of which card is used. This, however, may be completely unrelated to the issue at hand.

underthesun

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:31 am

Yesterday I installed Raspbian, Raspbmc and OpenELEC on a second SD card (on the same Pi as before but previously with a Transcend 4GB Class 6 and only Raspbmc and OpenELEC as there was no room for Raspbian as well ). This time it was a Transcend SDHC 8GB Class 10. All 3 OS's booted from the NOOBS 1.3 menu first time. I haven't added my codec keys yet so "corrupting" :( the config.txt file is still a possibility.

Mike

rdb

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:39 am

UPDATE

This appears to be due to the San Disk Ultra cards not handling FAT16 correctly (while FAT32 is fine). We're currently looking into why this is the case and will report back.

As RaspBMC was the only OS to specify FAT32 for it's boot partition this was the only OS that booted.

I've pushed an update to the online OS files that forces all OSes to use FAT32 in place of FAT16 for their boot partitions. Once this syncs (in around an hour or so) NOOBS lite should then work as expected on San Disk Ultra SD cards.

If you could confirm this is the case, it would be much appreciated.

rdb

Re: NOOBS 1.3 problem with booting OS on SanDisk 16GB Ultra

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:39 am

UPDATE

This appears to be due to the San Disk Ultra cards not handling FAT16 correctly (while FAT32 is fine). We're currently looking into why this is the case and will report back.

As RaspBMC was the only OS to specify FAT32 for it's boot partition this was the only OS that booted.

I've pushed an update to the online OS files that forces all OSes to use FAT32 in place of FAT16 for their boot partitions. Once this syncs (in around an hour or so) NOOBS lite should then work as expected on San Disk Ultra SD cards.

If you could confirm this is the case, it would be much appreciated.

awol99

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:00 am

Thank you very much,

after testing of course, could you please advise at this thread if you intend to update the offline version and when that might happen.

thanks again.

toja83

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 am

Will this fix also be applied on the "NOOBS (offline and network install)", so if I download and run that one later today will it work?! Or do I need to use the NOOBS that downloads the OS when I want to install?!

Looking forward to be able to start playing around with my Pi :)

rdb

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:12 am

NOOBS Lite OS installs should now work as expected on San Disk Ultra SD cards.

Please let me know if that is not the case.

rdb

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:12 am

NOOBS Lite OS installs should now work as expected on San Disk Ultra SD cards.

Egil

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 pm

I can confirm that my SanDisk Ultra, which previously failed installing Raspian through NOOBS 1.3, now works.

Thanks a lot!

ceene

Re: Only boots NOOBS

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi again!

I finally contacted RS and told them what was happening. I requested a change and they told me they would send me a new PI, but that they weren't going to take the old one (I guess it's cheaper for them this way).

So now I have three PIs. My first old one, perfectly working, my really new one, also perfectly working and my "odd" one, with which I can still play.

So, if you've got any more ideas, it can be fun to try and guess what's happening -though the new one perfectly working with the same SD cards makes me really believe there's something wrong here-.

I don't have now the hurry nor the urge I had before to have it working, so I can spend a little free time just for the sake of it.

I'm open to new ideas, thank you all very much!

psimmons

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Where can I download this new version from as the ones on Raspberrypi.org and github are listed as being a few days or weeks old?

rdb

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:43 pm

Only the online OS repo files have changed, NOOBS v1.3 hasn't needed to be updated.

Your existing NOOBS lite download should now "just work" after a fresh OS install.

psimmons

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Is there any way to fix a custom OS version I have created?

rdb

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 pm

psimmons wrote:Is there any way to fix a custom OS version I have created?
If it already boots then you don't need the fix.

psimmons

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 pm

The image I have only boots on my 8GB SD, I would like to be able to run it on my 16GB Sandisk Ultra.

Will doing a apt-get upgrade on the 8GB SD and then "re-imaging" help?

rdb

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 pm

psimmons wrote:The image I have only boots on my 8GB SD, I would like to be able to run it on my 16GB Sandisk Ultra.

Will doing a apt-get upgrade on the 8GB SD and then "re-imaging" help?
You can diff against http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... tions.json to see what changed for the fix.

darrengi

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:13 am

rdb wrote:NOOBS Lite OS installs should now work as expected on San Disk Ultra SD cards.

Hi rdb - sorry, I missed this post of yours.

I can confirm that Raspbian as well as RaspBMC (which I think you mentioned already set FAT32) if installed concurrently, now both working fine via NOOBS Lite. Haven't had chance to check other flavours.

One thing, the NOOBS v1.3 boot-loader is pretty aweful with detecting my wireless KB and mouse, whereas v1.2 and standalone OS' don't have problems. For v1.2 or standalone this wasn't a major issue, but for NOOBS v1.3 with multi-boot it is :o I'll provide more info soon on this (perhaps open another thread) but I thought important to mention I had at least had some success with the San Disk Ultra! Look forward to the NOOBS full having this fixed :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”