darrengi

NOOBS 1.3 problem with booting OS on SanDisk 16GB Ultra SDHC

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi folks - a newbie (<1/2 week in) to Raspi so forgive me for any blunders here.

Basics...
System: Raspberry Pi Rev B.
Card #1: Old SanDisk 4GB SDHC class 2
Card #2: Brand spanking new SanDisk 16GB Ultra SDHC class 10 (bought from reputable retailer in Australia - OfficeWorks)
Using: SDFormatter 4.0 from SD Association to make SDHC boot disk

Having problems similar to "apples on" who posted in the comments section of the NOOBS v1.3 announce...
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4959

I downloaded NOOBS v1.2.1 originally, and can successfully install either i) Raspbian or ii) OpenELEC on either Card#1 or Card#2. They also boot fine.

However trying with NOOBS v1.3 can only successfully install/boot on Card #1.

If I try v1.3 on Card #2 (16GB), both OS successfully install, however on reboot/hard power up it just goes to black screen (when selecting either of the OS' to boot). Red Power light only - no activity.

I've also tried installing just a single OS at one time using v1.3, without success.

From all accounts, based on http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards Card#2 should be supported.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue? Strange that v1.2.1 works fine, but not v1.3

Please let me know if I need to provide any further information.

Thanks in advance.

ColinPaterson

Re: NOOBS 1.3 problem with booting OS on SanDisk 16GB Ultra

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:23 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I get the hold SHIFT screen but then nothing regardless of which OS I select. :(

gyeben

Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:11 pm

I have a SanDisk 16GB Ultra MicroSDHC with an SD adapter, and I have the very same problem.

rdb

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:39 pm

darrengi wrote:Hi folks - a newbie (<1/2 week in) to Raspi so forgive me for any blunders here.

Basics...
System: Raspberry Pi Rev B.
Card #1: Old SanDisk 4GB SDHC class 2
Card #2: Brand spanking new SanDisk 16GB Ultra SDHC class 10 (bought from reputable retailer in Australia - OfficeWorks)
Using: SDFormatter 4.0 from SD Association to make SDHC boot disk

Having problems similar to "apples on" who posted in the comments section of the NOOBS v1.3 announce...
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4959

I downloaded NOOBS v1.2.1 originally, and can successfully install either i) Raspbian or ii) OpenELEC on either Card#1 or Card#2. They also boot fine.

However trying with NOOBS v1.3 can only successfully install/boot on Card #1.

If I try v1.3 on Card #2 (16GB), both OS successfully install, however on reboot/hard power up it just goes to black screen (when selecting either of the OS' to boot). Red Power light only - no activity.

I've also tried installing just a single OS at one time using v1.3, without success.

From all accounts, based on http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards Card#2 should be supported.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue? Strange that v1.2.1 works fine, but not v1.3

Please let me know if I need to provide any further information.

Thanks in advance.
Could you please completely reformat the card as FAT using the instructions in http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide then re-install NOOBS v1.3 and tell me everything that happens in sequence?

e.g. - Selected Raspbian, clicked Install OS
- Slideshow appears
- Install competed, clicked OK.

That way I can better diagnose your issue. It is very unlikely to be due to the SD card itself.

More Pi Please

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:46 pm

I made 3 noobs sd cards yesterday.

Only one had this problem. (all created on same pi for ease)

I reformatted again, placed Noobs again, then it was working.

ColinPaterson

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Could you please completely reformat the card as FAT using the instructions in http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide then re-install NOOBS v1.3 and tell me everything that happens in sequence?

- Slideshow appears

That way I can better diagnose your issue. It is very unlikely to be due to the SD card itself.
OK,
tried a second card.

>Chose Raspbian and XBMC this time.
> Slideshow appeared with progress bar
> Installed OK dialog appeared.
> clicked OK.
> Blank screen, no activity
> disconnected power, waited, re-attached power.
> Colour screen
> Hold shift for recovery screen
> Select OS screen.
> Double click Raspbian.
> Blank screen, no activity.

If I choose XBMC I do now get it booting to XBMC.

Tried 3 or 4 times, always the same result.

Tried 2 different Sansdisk 16Gb cards.

Thanks

Colin.

Joox

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 pm

I have the very same problem. Booting into NOOBS 1.3 works. Installing an OS is ends with a success message. When i click ok, the screen goes black only red light on. After that the pi plays dead. hard reset results in the same black screen with only red led on. During startup the green led flashes shortly. SD card is a 16gb Sandisk.

fordoxaal

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:35 am

Same exact problem.
Sandisk 16gb 30mb/sec, FAT32, NOOBS 1.3 files copied to the card
HDMI to DVI cable connecting to Dell 24" monitor
USB keyboard, USB mouse
Power up, red light, green light flickers -- all good
Get to install screen -- all good
install Raspbian -- install OK
click the thing -- screen goes into power save mode
red light is all that remains on. As if completely asleep...

darrengi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:57 am

rdb wrote:
darrengi wrote:Hi folks - a newbie (<1/2 week in) to Raspi so forgive me for any blunders here.

- Slideshow appears

Hi RDB - thanks for the offer to help. As you can see, it seems like a number of people are similarly affected - hope we can sort this out soon as I'd love my Pi to run v1.3 :) :)

Other (possibly) relevant bits of info:
2A 5v DC uSB power supply, no other peripherals other than wireless KB/mouse dongle
- another interesting thing to note here, in v1.2.1 my wireless KB and Mouse has no problem 'activating' (either on 4GB or 16GB cards), but on v1.3 either often need to be 'touched/moved' during early boot, otherwise need to pull/reinsert the dongle to make them work!
Ethernet 100Mbs wired connection

Anyway, here is what I've done:

Step 1 - On Win7 machine...
Run SDFormatter v4
Quick format, with Format Adjustment Size = ON
Results are:
File System = FAT32
Total space = 14.8GB
Cluster size = 32768 bytes
Unzip and copy all v1.3 files into root of SDHC card

Step 2 - On Raspi...
Power on, and NOOBS screen appears, with "removing" "resizing" "boot"and other pop-ups (all too quick to see) appear
NOOBS Presents installer screen
Choose OpenELEC (from SDHC card, not network)
Click on Install button (or press i)
Confirmation of overwrite pop-up appears, so answer yes
OpenELEC install screens cycle through, progress counter gets to 100%
OS(s) Installed Successfully pop-up appears

Step 3 - On Raspi...
When I click OK screen blanks and solid red power light and green activity light on solid (no network activity)
Pull power supply, replug in recovery screen option (to press SHIFT) appears for short time, then blank screen solid red power light only (no activity light, no network lights)

I have repeatedly tried step 1 and step 2 with no luck, I get same results always at Step 3.

Step 3a - On Raspi

NOW - I've just done the same step 1 on a different Win7 machine, and have got slightly different results for Step 3!
After install, when I click OK screen blanks and solid red power light and green activity light on solid (no network activity)
Pull power supply, replug in, instead of recovery screen option, I got a traditional linux console-like output stating "cannot load config #1 file" (or something like that flashed very quickly so couldn't read) TWICE.
Now third attempt or more, replug in recovery screen option (to press SHIFT) appears for short time, then blank screen solid red power light only (no activity light, no network lights)

Also reverted back to v1.2.1 and got the following information about the two SDHC cards
Card #1 - SanDisk 4GB card...
[email protected] ~ $ cd /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc?/mmc?:*
[email protected] /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:a49b $ echo "man:$(cat manfid) oem:$(cat oemid) name:$(cat name) hwrev:$(cat hwrev) fwrev:$(cat fwrev)"
man:0x000003 oem:0x5344 name:SD04G hwrev:0x8 fwrev:0x0

Card #2 - SandDisk 16GB card...
[email protected] ~ $ cd /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc?/mmc?:*
[email protected] /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:aaaa $ echo "man:$(cat manfid) oem:$(cat oemid) name:$(cat name) hwrev:$(cat hwrev) fwrev:$(cat fwrev)"
man:0x000003 oem:0x5344 name:SU16G hwrev:0x8 fwrev:0x0

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:27 am

darrengi wrote: ...
Other (possibly) relevant bits of info:
2A 5v DC uSB power supply, no other peripherals other than wireless KB/mouse dongle
- another interesting thing to note here, in v1.2.1 my wireless KB and Mouse has no problem 'activating' (either on 4GB or 16GB cards), but on v1.3 either often need to be 'touched/moved' during early boot, otherwise need to pull/reinsert the dongle to make them work
I suspect your "wireless KB/mouse dongle" combination may be part of the problem (more likely than the SD card), since your "window of opportunity" for "shift" detection etc. can decrease significantly whilst the keyboard etc. is being "enumerated" - see my post here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63#p426863 during "beta testing" (which did include testing with a 16Gb card, albeit a Kingston class 4).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:27 am

Can one / many of you do the following:

1) Boot into NOOBS (repeatedly press the shift key)
2) Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a login prompt
3) username: root password: raspberry

$ parted /dev/mmcblk0
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/mmcblk0
Welcome to GNU parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) unit s
(parted) p

And post the text...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

darrengi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 am

gsh wrote:
$ parted /dev/mmcblk0
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/mmcblk0
(parted) unit s
(parted) p

And post the text...

Gordon
Hey Gordan - sure can - Just FYI - in this case, the last install was for both OpenELEC as well as Raspian...
Hope the screenshot is okay, otherwise I can type it all out if you need.
Attachments
Raspi_SDHC_PartEd_16GB_SanDisk_NOOBS_v1.3.jpg
Raspi_SDHC_PartEd_16GB_SanDisk_NOOBS_v1.3.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 8527 times

rdb

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 am

darrengi wrote:
gsh wrote:
$ parted /dev/mmcblk0
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/mmcblk0
(parted) unit s
(parted) p

And post the text...

Gordon
Hey Gordan - sure can - Just FYI - in this case, the last install was for both OpenELEC as well as Raspian...
Hope the screenshot is okay, otherwise I can type it all out if you need.
That partition table looks good to me.

gsh

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 am

OK,

Can you do:

hexdump -C -s $((0x1be)) -n 64 /dev/mmcblk0

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

darrengi

Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:27 pm

gsh wrote:OK,

Can you do:

hexdump -C -s $((0x1be)) -n 64 /dev/mmcblk0

Gordon
Wow - some of this *nix stuff is coming back to me! LOL.

I managed to umount the MSDOS partition on /mnt (which was RO) and remounted as RW, and cat'd the results to a file there to save myself typing. Hey, a small 'win'! :P

Code: Select all

000001be  00 00 01 80 0e 03 d0 ff  00 20 00 00 5e f6 25 00  |......... ..^.%.|
000001ce  00 03 d0 ff 85 03 d0 ff  00 20 26 00 00 ac b3 01  |......... &.....|
000001de  00 03 d0 ff 83 03 d0 ff  00 cc d9 01 00 00 01 00  |................|
000001ee  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
000001fe
Thanks gsh for your help here.

gsh

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:00 pm

Ah, OK you're using a full download, I didn't try that I used the NOOBS lite... Will try with that...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

nipmads

won't boot to OS - noobs 1.3 [solved]

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:06 am

Hi there,

I'm new to the world of Raspberry Pi, however already (somewhat) impressed by the capabilities of this device.

However I've been through quite a few distributions, mostly based on xbmc - so raspbmc, openelec and xbian. raspbmc wouldn't install at all, openelec worked however after a restart it seized to work (only light on the PWR LED)

Then I downloaded the noobs 1.3 of this site, followed the instructions - installed openelec and raspbian - install goes with no errors, however it won't into the OS - neither openelec nor raspbian. I get the option alright, but it doesn't go past this...

When I'm presented with the OS to choose, all 5 lights are on - however when I choose an OS, only the red PWR light glows...

My system:
Type B 512mb
5V 2a (iPad power supply)
hdmi monitor, USB mouse/keyb.
16gb class 10 sd card

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

-Mads

darrengi

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am

BTW - just as an update, I reverted to NOOBS v1.2.1 and installed multiple OSs (obviously only one at a time) Raspian and OpenELEC and both are rock solid :(

No issues with the wireless KB/mouse, and booting like a dream. Really wondering what the issue is with v1.3...naturally want the latest :)

awol99

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Yes Indeed - i have this problem - right down to the SanDisk 16GB Ultra.

Yes it worked fine with NOOB 1.2.1.

i tried it on a 1080p BigTV as well as the Dell DVI monitor where i did the install.

is the SanDisk the common factor ? Does anyone have this problem with a different SD card ??

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: won't boot to OS - noobs 1.3

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Hmmm ... another NOOBS 1.3 / 16Gb SD card post (see this thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 2&p=429741) . I had no problems with a 16Gb Class 4 card but am aware of "possible keyboard issues" (see my comments in the above thread). So - is your keyboard wired or wireless (model, make?). Are you using it directly, or via an external hub? Have you used NOOBS 1.2.1 previously without problems and, or, a "direct install" (via a *.img file) of an O.S. previously without problems?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

AndrewS

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Works fine for me on my 16GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC card... :|

gsh

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:42 pm

This is a known issue right now, we're trying to debug but I don't have access to a card that causes this problem...

If you're willing to send me a card to debug I should be able to understand the issue quicker... PM me if you could do this

Thanks

Gordon Hollingworth
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

nipmads

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm using a generic Dell wired mouse+keyboard, straight of the 2 usb ports - no hub.

Also tried with a logitech dinovo bluetooth - same same.

However, I have now tried to install with raspbmc as well - which it boots into, however raspbian and openelec are a no go.

Reason I'd prefer is to use the IPTV simple plugin, which doesn't work well for me on raspbmc...

I have not tried v. 1.2.1

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

nipmads wrote:I'm using a generic Dell wired mouse+keyboard, straight of the 2 usb ports - no hub.
Also tried with a logitech dinovo bluetooth - same same.
I wouldn't expect any issues with a wired keyboard (not so sure about the bluetooth device) but, given your partial success and @gsh's comments (above) I'd take up his offer.

Trev.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 pm

gsh wrote:This is a known issue right now, we're trying to debug but I don't have access to a card that causes this problem...
Gordon Hollingworth
Gordon,
Whilst I don't have any 16Gb class 10 cards (and my class 4 worked fine during Beta testing), I do have a couple of 8Gb, class 10 cards (integral & Transcend) so, is it worth "giving things a try" with either or both of those (in case "it's a class thing")?
Trev.

Return to “Troubleshooting”