Input: 100-240VAC
50/60Hz 0.3A
Output: 5V 1200mA MicroUSB
HN Power Germany
MADE IN CHINA

markyd

Re: Pi shuts down soon after powering up at random points

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 am

I guess the question is ... is it a Pi issue or an SD card issue? I had a build that worked fine for 24 hours then got flakey ... SD cards are not really meant for this sort of fun and games which is why Puppy Linux came about for SD & USB stick booting (loads everything into RAM) before I declare the Pi sick going to give the Puppy a try out ... when I get home from my travels that is.

bluekiwi

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 pm

DarylMc wrote:I have shipped mine back to RS.
I was wondering what email did you use to contact RS? I emailed '[email protected]'

ScorpAL

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:53 pm

Is that realy will helpfull?
I quickly noticed the Pi had a problem when it came under some load: it simply just stopped doing anything. I've got my USB external Western Digital 1TB hard-drive hooked up to it, in the hope of making a cheap NAS out of it. It simply stopped working during file transfers.

I also tried to run a decent bittorrent client on it, which also failed halfway through downloading some of my favorite Linux distributions. I tried transmission (see transmission-daemon), rtorrent and deluge; some of them ran more smoothly than the others, but all of them made the Pi cry in its sleep after ten minutes or less.

Next is how I managed to solve my problem, after a lot of trial and error.
http://chri.stophr.be/node/228

cyningstan

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm another one affected by this. Unfortunately I didn't have the amount of spare kit that some of you have in order to test things - just one power supply, two SD cards, one HDMI monitor. But Farnell have been better than excellent, and after hearing the symptoms are sending me a replacement without further ado.

In my case, the Raspberry Pi worked fine for about an hour, before it first cut out, switching off the screen display and refusing to answer pings. It then showed the pattern that others have mentioned, cutting out after five minutes or so, then a few minutes, up time getting shorter and shorter with each attempt.

So yes, there appears to be a faulty batch. Now I just have to find something else fun to do, as today was supposed to be Raspberry Pi Play-Day for me :-)

DarylMc

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:52 pm

bluekiwi wrote:
I was wondering what email did you use to contact RS? I emailed '[email protected]'
'[email protected]' was the email address given to me by RS Components Australia.
After 2 weeks still no reply.
I have mailed the pi back to the address in this form.
http://authenticate.rsdelivers.com/stat ... nsform.pdf
I could not find any other contact details and I am very disappointed with the product and service.
I would not recommend buying through RS Components.

Matt007

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:55 pm

I seem to have exactly the same problem with mine. Whatever I do (or dont) it shuts down within 2 minutes of booting up.

I bought mine off ebay as I was keen to get hold of one. Guess I'll just confine this one to the bin and wait 10 weeks for my order to arrive.

Im less than impressed with the Raspberry experience so far :(

ScorpAL

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 am

This soft upgrade manual http://chri.stophr.be/node/228 help me.

Now: Uptime with Transmission torrent client more than 5 days.

bluekiwi

Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 am

DarylMc wrote:
bluekiwi wrote:
'[email protected]' was the email address given to me by RS Components Australia.
After 2 weeks still no reply.
I have mailed the pi back to the address in this form.
http://authenticate.rsdelivers.com/stat ... nsform.pdf
I could not find any other contact details and I am very disappointed with the product and service.
I would not recommend buying through RS Components.
Hi sorry to come back to this thread after so long but did you ever receive your replacement Pi. Isent mine back about a month ago and still haven't received anything back. :(

radix33

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:01 pm

I just got my 512mb RPi and was enjoying it until it started shutting down randomly. Originally, after reading the faqs and forums, it was an HDMI boost issue, but turns out to be airflow issue. The Lego case that I (crudely) built wasn't good for it. So I blasted an external fan running off my usb hub and now it's been up for hours: compiling, playing MAME, and XBMC.

thierry

Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:01 pm

I got the same problem : the pi shuts down itself about 2 minutes after starting.
Curiously only by changing the power plug, and still using the same 1A adaptator, it now works for 2 hours...

it73

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:37 am

I have the same problem. My Raspberry Pi shuts off within two minutes after plugging it in. If I plug it in again, it shuts off sooner. I've tried putting it on an ice pack, this kept the Pi from turning off. I also tried putting moving air over the Pi, this too kept it from shutting down. I also blew a hair dryer to force the pi to shut down, this caused it to shut down within 5 seconds. From what I've read, these symptoms point to a faulty F3 polyfuse.

So I covered the area just over the polyfuse with an ice pack and then blew a hair dryer on the Pi. The Pi stayed on, despite most of it being hot.
2012-11-19_19-25-07_719-small.jpeg
Ice pack covering the polyfuse
2012-11-19_19-25-07_719-small.jpeg (46.63 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
The only components that were cooled from the ice pack were R51, D17 and F3. I'm pretty sure that F3 is what is causing the problems, but could it be D17 or R51? Assuming F3 is the problem, could I short it out assuming I'm feeding a perfect regulated 5v? What's the worst that could happen?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 am

The worst that could happen is that your power supply would overheat and catch fire.

D17 is an overvoltage protection device, below about (typical) 5.6 Volt it should do nothing, but if the voltage exceeds a "tripping point", it will short the 5V power to GND. If that happens F3 will blow immediately and you will only see a few volt left across D17 (TP1/TP2).

R51 is a zero-ohm "resistor" that connects GND to the shell of the micro-B USB connector, (making it possible to disconnect the shell from GND if needed) and as such heating/cooling it cannot have any effect.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:03 am

Seeing that F3 is a fuse, the worst that could happen is that you start a fire. But of course that is not likely to happen.

At this point you know the problem and you have a decision to make; do you return it as faulty, or do you fix it yourself? If you fix it yourself, you'll probably void the warranty, but it would not be difficult to do.

In my view the best fix would probably be to short F3 and then install a suitable wire fuse in the USB power cable. For a perfect fix you could buy a new F3 (maybe a 50% higher value and chosen for low resistance) and replace it.

(The board will have a safety margin on the amount of current that it can support before tracks burn. You can erode that margin and use a higher F3 value, which will have a lower resistance, so long as you are aware that you are a little more unsafe than you used to be. No fuses, poly or wire, blow immediately at the current they are rated for. Both sorts can take several minutes for a small over-current, and take a few seconds even at twice their rated current.)

R51 is a resistor, so unlikely to be the problem. Another possibility is that you have a bad joint on one of the components in that area that is OK when cold, but opens up due to thermal expansion. It might be a good idea to reflow the joints on those components before you decide on doing anything major.

You can also get freezer spray, which might let you target a single component if you were careful.

sile16

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:01 am

I have had the same problem, luckily I decided to order two of them up front. I messed around with the first one for a couple of hours. Same symptoms, after about 1 - 3 minutes the HDMI screen would go blank and it would stop responding to pings... I finally just moved my SD card into the other Pi and it has been working fine for the last 30 minutes. It just finished an apt-get upgrade/update and is still working fine. Sounds like I need to return the first one.

ajohnson30

Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 pm

Looks like mine is something with IC3. After bootup & startx, within a few minutes I lose my ip address and the network stops responding. Shortly after that all the LEDS except the red PWR go out. IC3 at this point is almost too hot to touch.

HOWEVER, I've booted up and taken a pencil, eraser end down, and pressed down on IC3. The PI works fine and IC3 does not get hot at all. Also, the funky ugly "Bud" red plastic case that I ended up getting with it does not have anything underneath the board, so that gets ruled out.

At this point I think I'd like to get my hands on a heat gun or bake the board or something. I know my way around a soldering iron but I'm not familiar with the newer "flow" stuff. I'm not too keen on returning it because of the low original cost.

ajohnson30

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Minor update...after looking at a few posts about "baking" and other methods of reflowing the solder connections, I looked around at what I had on hand. Besides a conventional oven I only had a heat gun attachment for a butane soldering iron. Not sure how else to describe it. I usually use it on heat shrink tubing. At any rate it's great for concentrating heat in small areas. I slowly ran this around ic3 for about 60 seconds, starting about 2 inchs away and getting closer.

I'd not really recommend this to anyone, but I'd pretty much written the Pi off at this point. I fired it up and at first no inputs worked. No keyboard or mouse. Rebooted again, applying pressure to IC3 as before and they started working normally.

I've been running continuous pings ever since waiting for failure. I expect it to be flaky at this point, but it's been four hours with no dropouts instead of 2 minutes. I did shut it off once after around 15,000 pings and restart just to see what would happen. It came up fine and it's still pinging after that.

If anyone has any additional suggestions on stability I welcome them. IC3 seems to be running around 120 degrees farenheit now, which doesn't seem like a good thing to me.

Stolen Goods

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 pm

I've had the same problem with my Pi, and after a while of mucking around with different power supplies and a new install of Berryboot, I eventually read this thread and tried the cooling fan option. So far, I've not had a single crash in the past 45 minutes and have successfully installed OpenElec, Raspbian, and Quake 3 in a single sitting.

tl;dr: To ye weary, a cooling fan will usually fix it.
Defeating the 6KiB profile image limit since 2013.
(Guess who and I'll change it to something else!)

toysareforboys

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:40 am

Stolen Goods wrote:I've had the same problem with my Pi, and after a while of mucking around with different power supplies and a new install of Berryboot, I eventually read this thread and tried the cooling fan option. So far, I've not had a single crash in the past 45 minutes and have successfully installed OpenElec, Raspbian, and Quake 3 in a single sitting.

tl;dr: To ye weary, a cooling fan will usually fix it.
That means your Pi was undercooked from the factory, and you either need to send it back for a replacement, or bake it in the oven!

http://gough.ath.cx/?p=160

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

verm71

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:42 pm

I like the idea of reflowing myself, mainly because it would get me back up and running within a day. But after reading the article, it sounds more complicated than just setting the oven to 400F and baking the Pi for 10 minutes. The ramp up and exact temperature tolerances seem a bit tight for my oven which bakes approximately 25 degrees higher than what you put on the dial. It does pie okay, don't know about Pi.

Newark has not responded to my multiple requests for an RMA. It's been over a month now.

Discouraging.

toysareforboys

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 pm

I cooked two of my friends Pi's upside down, on a baking pan, on tinfoil, shiny side up, at 500f for a little over 2 mins. Preheated the oven. No ramp up, but let them cool slowly. As soon as I saw the audio jack start to melt I turned off the over and opened the door. Both of them work rock solid to this day.

So, I wouldn't put too much worry into your reflowing technique ;)

-Jamie M.
Seagate GoFlex Home, 1.2GHz ARM (kirkwood), 128MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, SATA2. Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD running Arch ARM Linux 3.6.11-0. nginx + php-fpm = LIVE STATUS hosted right on the SGFH!! http://tafb.yi.org

yupsolo

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm

ok after many HOURS of diagnosys, trying many power supply, SD cards, HDMI, USB cables

The problem is really OVERHEATING

I putted a FAN on it to and all night I was able to OVERCLOCK it and listen to a 1080P movie... I've never been able to do that. I even cancel my RMA on it! :)

try it!

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:24 pm

The problem is not so much overheating, as it is the effects of heating on your board.

There are a small number of boards that have a fault, probably bad soldering. I don't have any official figures, but I think the fault probably affects between 0.1 and 1% of boards. The faulty boards always work when cold, otherwise they would not have survived the testing that the manufacturers do.

RaspPis do not need cooling. If they do they are faulty and should be RMA'd. You might be able to work with it as it is, but you shouldn't have to, and the fault may very well get worse over time.

yupsolo

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:34 pm

thanks for the advice!

yupsolo

Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm

unit working perfectly!! 129F peek..

I putted the unit in the oven for a reflow session:

put the rasp in the oven, heat at 410F approx until the shiny solder turn mat

that way you know that it "melted"

30 min gradual cooling in the oven, door open 1/4.

worked all weekend flawlessly

Return to “Troubleshooting”