scooter2335

RCA Video out not working [solved]

Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:39 pm

hi, I am running Raspian weezy which i recently installed through noobs v 3.0. I was able to borrow a HDMI cable from a friend to download the OS but I have come to a road block the RCA output does not work reguardless of my attempts to find information on the internet. also every time i plug the 16gb HDHC sd card into my laptop there is only 1.1 gigs out of 16 and i cant find any boot or config files which were said to be editable so that i could disable force HDMI.

thanks

Scott

apples723

Re: RCA Video out not working

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm having the same problem

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:42 pm

when booting Raspbian composite video is automatically enabled when the PI cannot detect a connected HDMI device, therefore it is possible to force on HDMI, while its not possible to force on Composite, (AFAIK) as there simply is no need to do so.

What is possible that the wrong type of composite video is generated, the PI can do half a dozen or so variations of PAL and NTSC, but defaults to US NTSC.

but when running NOOBS, the rules are different, NOOBS always defaults to HDMI, but can be forced to switch to PAL or NTSC by pressing 3 or 4.

non working video is far more likely caused by boot problems.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 pm

mahjongg wrote:when booting Raspbian composite video is automatically enabled when the PI cannot detect a connected HDMI device, therefore it is possible to force on HDMI, while its not possible to force on Composite, (AFAIK) as there simply is no need to do so.

What is possible that the wrong type of composite video is generated, the PI can do half a dozen or so variations of PAL and NTSC, but defaults to US NTSC.

but when running NOOBS, the rules are different, NOOBS always defaults to HDMI, but can be forced to switch to PAL or NTSC by pressing 3 or 4.

non working video is far more likely caused by boot problems.
In my experience, the default composite is UK PAL, unless, of course, my (Japanese made) UK TV handles either PAL or NTSC "silently". :)
During (early) testing of NOOBS 1.3 Beta I noticed that, whilst you could select composite video before installing an O.S. etc., unless you made that a "permanent" requirement, NOOBS appears to "force" HDMI mode. I intend re-check this sometime in the next day or so and will report back.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

redhawk

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:59 pm

Can't NOOBS be defaulted to output composite video instead of forcing HDMI every time it gets used??

Or better still boot in HDMI mode, query for attached HDMI device, if none is found then assume composite mode??

Richard S.

scooter2335

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:25 am

What so you suggest I do to output the correct frequency for composite video. And I have already installed the OS and am unable to switch output blindly what do I do

scooter2335

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:21 am

I saw your post and reinstalled the OS and followed the reinstall instructions even pressing the buttons 3,4 and nothing now the pie doesn't have an OS at all:/ but it can get any worse from here :D right?

rdb

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:40 am

scooter2335 wrote:hi, I am running Raspian weezy which i recently installed through noobs v 3.0. I was able to borrow a HDMI cable from a friend to download the OS but I have come to a road block the RCA output does not work reguardless of my attempts to find information on the internet.
On first boot NOOBS defaults to outputting via HDMI preferred mode, you can change this by pressing keys 2-4 (see http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads for further info on this). Once set,the display mode chosen will be used on each NOOBS boot and also used for each installed OS.

This means that if you installed the OS with NOOBS running in HDMI mode then the installed OS will always try to use this (rather than try to autodetect as it did prior to NOOBS v1.3).

You can remove this setting by editing the config.txt for your installed OS and deleting the NOOBS autogenerated section at the end of the file. This will then allow the Pi to try to autodetect between HDMI and composite.
scooter2335 wrote: also every time i plug the 16gb HDHC sd card into my laptop there is only 1.1 gigs out of 16 and i cant find any boot or config files which were said to be editable so that i could disable force HDMI.
Windows will only mount the first partition on the SD card by default, which is why you only see the 1.1GB FAT NOOBS partition. Using the SD Association's Formatting Tool as described in http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide will restore the SD card so that Windows can see the full volume.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:24 am

Thank you @rdb - you've confirmed what I thought NOOBS was doing but, it being rather late when I posted last night, I did not want to risk "mis-leading" the O.P. until I had chance to re-check.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:41 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote: In my experience, the default composite is UK PAL, unless, of course, my (Japanese made) UK TV handles either PAL or NTSC "silently". :)
Quite possible, many TV's simply detect what is offered, and indeed "silently" accept it.

The default is NTSC, its in the config.txt, and was mentioned early on in the blog.
sdtv_mode defines the TV standard for composite output (default=0)
sdtv_mode=0 Normal NTSC
sdtv_mode=1 Japanese version of NTSC – no pedestal
sdtv_mode=2 Normal PAL
sdtv_mode=3 Brazilian version of PAL – 525/60 rather than 625/50, different subcarrie
I also wondered why they made it like that on a British product.
Off course it still may be a documentation error.

scooter2335

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:08 pm

My sd card doesn't have a configuration file :? Hmm what next?

rpdom

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:32 pm

The config.txt file isn't stored in the same place on a NOOBS installation as it is in a straight Raspbian install.

I believe that if you press Shift when prompted to get into the NOOBS recovery screen, you get an option to edit the config file.

(This is just from what I've read here. I haven't used NOOBS yet)

scooter2335

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Would it be simpler if I just preformed a strait up rasbian install? (Sorry for my butchering of the name my iPhone won't stop autocorrecting)

scooter2335

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:59 pm

I was running raspbian with noobs 1.3 and I want to do a direct install of it going around noobs am I correct? And will that not give me the option to fully expand the ad card storage

rdb

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:11 pm

scooter2335 wrote:I was running raspbian with noobs 1.3 and I want to do a direct install of it going around noobs am I correct? And will that not give me the option to fully expand the ad card storage
You don't need to reinstall. NOOBS will do everything you need (including allowing you to edit config.txt).

If in doubt, refer to the documentation.

scooter2335

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:30 pm

That's the thing noobs is not allowing me to modify the configuration file I don't own a hdmi cable but I was allowed to borrow my friends to install the os and I have many RCA cables but when I try to find files on the sd card I find nothing. When I try to do things blindly typing with perfect precision I still get nothing:(

rdb

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:31 pm

scooter2335 wrote:That's the thing noobs is not allowing me to modify the configuration file I don't own a hdmi cable but I was allowed to borrow my friends to install the os and I have many RCA cables but when I try to find files on the sd card I find nothing. When I try to do things blindly typing with perfect precision I still get nothing:(
Do the following:
- Boot your Pi and repeatedly toggle Shift while the Pi is booting. This will enter the NOOBS interface.
- Press either button 3 or 4 depending on whether your display is NTSC or PAL.
- When you see the display. Click yes to save changes
- Edit the config.txt for the installed OSes and delete the autogenerated part at the end (which is clearly indicated).

scooter2335

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Great it worked:D but when I shut the pi down using the proper shutdown command and everything after I turned the pi back on I got the green ok light to blink once and then the red pwr light is the only one that stayed on. The screen displays the weird array of colors and nothing more what is wrong

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 pm

scooter2335

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 pm

oh God bless you soul, Thank you very much for your help. Please add the Dane-Elec 16 Gb Hc sd x4 speed to the list of bad( if you keep any tally) the sd card is good for one use only then the os doesnt boot, but my Kingston works fine! Thank you Have a wonderful day!

Scott

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:02 pm

I'm not keeping a tally, but the wiki does: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards#Working_ ... g_SD_cards

you can edit/enter the card yourself, its a wiki, but do note that many on-line bought cards are fakes, yours might be a fake one too.

Also just booting once can be caused by powering off without a proper shutdown, (powering off while the card does its write optimizing magic) a full wipe with the SD Card Association’s wiping/formatting tool (see download page) often brings such cards back to life.

epraveenns

Re: RCA Video out not working [solved]

Sat May 23, 2015 9:07 am

I am having a slightly different problem.. Can any one help? I am using 3.5mm to rca. The TV display is distorting.

LQd

Re: RCA Video out not working [solved]

Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Hello epraveenns, I had the same problem. I have never heard of that before, but it seems that there are few standards of cables although all cables I have ever came across were one standard I consider to be the only one. I was wrong. It may be, that you have reversed GND and Video pins as I do, this leads to completely distorted picture looking like out of sync. See more info here:
viewtopic.php?p=653422#p653422

Return to “Troubleshooting”