voltron81

2 Raspberry with faulty HDMI port

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:29 pm

Hello,
I have just received 2 Raspberry Pi with both a faulty HDMI out port.
I have other Raspberry at home and I have tried all possible solutions(change of HDMI cable, tv, distributions, memory card, power supply...) so I can definitely say that HDMI ports of those raspberry are faulty.
I have noticed in fact that, once the HDMI cable is plugged in,that if I move that cable on the plug side, I am sometimes able to have video on the tv. With the same cable, same memory card, same tv but different Raspberry (bought from you few months ago) I don't have any issue at all!

Anyone had this issue?
Any suggestion on how to solve it?

Thanks

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 2 Raspberry with faulty HDMI port

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:58 pm

I would argue that, that if the Pi's (HDMI sockets) are newer than the HDMI cables then it's just as, if not more, likely that the cables are "faulty" ie. "worn". If the cables are HDMI to HDMI (as opposed to HDMI to DVI or HDMI to mini-HDMI) have you also tried swapping "end to end". Are you using the latest distributions, and which ones?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Ravenous

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:30 pm

This may sound like I'm being dumb, but have you tried new firmware? That is, don't use your old card but try a copy of the newest Raspbian or similar... the boot firmware does get changed from time to time.

If that doesn't fix it, nor a different cable as Trevor suggested, I'm afraid I have no idea what the problem might be. :oops:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Indeed - there is now a fourth memory supplier - and your firmware may not have support for it yet.

sudo rpi-update on the SD card, or a new card with the latest image.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Burngate

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:00 am

voltron81 wrote:...I have noticed in fact that, once the HDMI cable is plugged in,that if I move that cable on the plug side, I am sometimes able to have video on the tv...
This leads me to believe there's nowt wrong with the software / firmware, upto and including memory chip mismatches.
With the same cable, same memory card, same tv but different Raspberry I don't have any issue at all!
So look carefully at the sockets, under a magnifying glass.
Which way and how far do you have to move the cable to get video? Does the socket move, or the plug in the socket, or the cable flex?

menonjay85

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:24 pm

I bought a brand new Raspberry Pi 4 4GB along with the micro HDMI cable. On connecting it to my TV i saw red grains all around flickering on the screen. I tried squeezing the HDMI cable along its length until the desktop popped up. So my point is many a times, the cable is faulty and not the HDMI port of Raspberry Pi. Try changing the cable first before exchanging the Pi.

Return to “Troubleshooting”