Palankas

Installing Raspbian using NOOBS, not working

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi everyone, the problem is this:

I use the latest version of NOOBS to install Raspbian.

At the start, everything is ok, I choose Raspbian, and after a wait, the image is written succesfully, after this, what I got is a black screen. (And only the red led on).

I disconnect and connect the power plug, the multicoloured screen appears, and the next is a message with the raspberry background saying "press shift to recovery"

If I press shift, it returns to the initial screen of noobs to choose the OS, so the loop is infinite :/

The mouse and keyboard work fine. The SD card is the RS one with a preinstalled NOOBS that I deleted because was not working properly.

Thank you so much for your help !!!

DeeJay

Re: Installing Raspbian using NOOBS, not working

Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:42 am

My suggestion is that your monitor is not compatible with the video mode settings provided by default by the Operating Systems you are trying to install.

NOOBS is more an installer than an OS in its own right, and was designed and built to be as tolerant as possible of different video standards. If I understand you correctly, you can write the SD card with NOOBS, boot with it and see a display, but when you install an OS and that OS reboots you lose the display?

I suggest you need to look at the information about video modes in http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

Note that if you are booting with NOOBS you do NOT have access to the config.txt file for the currently installed OS by moving the SD card to another system. In this case you should invoke the NOOBS Recovery Console by using Shift when prompted at boot-time, and then use the Edit Config option on the resulting screen.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Gustaw

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:27 am

Has this issue been resolved somehow ?

It seems I have exactly the same problem.

I have tried the procedure several times with the same effect ... or lack of desired effect ...
The only thing I have not tested yet is the number of green LED blinks (assuming they do occur).

To clarify what hardware I have :
3x SanDisk 32GB SD cards – 2 work fine (one with Raspbian image and one with BerryBoot) but 1 (with Raspbian via NOOBS) does not ... I would not blame the SD card as NOOBS boots up and sets up ext4 partitions as expected ... I think
RPi B – no issues found with booting with Raspbian image or with BerryBoot
Sufficient power supply – works fine
Basic keyboard and optical mouse – both work fine in other circumstances
Sony CRT TV connected via composite cable – again it displays NOOBS start-up menu once key 3 is pressed, NOOBS seems to append necessary lines to raspi_config to allow composite video output

With fresh image of NOOBS (ver 1_3, SHA1 verified) inserted into RPi, NOOBS boots up as expected.
Once Raspbian is selected to be installed, installation progresses as expected and finishes with the message that the installation was successful.
I click on OK and ... at this point Raspbian should boot.
I see no green LED activity, screen goes black, nothing happens at all.
Last time at this stage I waited for at least 10mins before powering down the RPi.

If I power cycle the RPi I can get into Recovery NOOBS screen (with Shift key) but it does not seem to be any exit from it.
I can edit start-up files but it does not seem to be an option to boot into installed OS (Raspbian shows on the list as an installed OS).
The only way to break that vicious cycle is to power down RPi.
I am lost but not disparate as I have other SD cards with Raspbian working from them.
I am only a bit shocked that something designed for newbies turns out not to be that easy to use as envisioned.
At least for me.

If the problem is known and the relevant solution exists then I would appreciate some feedback.

PS
I start to think RPi hates me and my feelings towards it are becoming reciprocal.
;)
It seems whatever more advanced feature I try it does not work as expected :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=44749

Ironically the basic Raspbian installation from a raw image download works for me best.
I can perform setup headlessly (as long as I know Pi's MAC to set up reserved IP on my router) without access to internet but with access to the network (so I can SSH to the RPi).
I also managed to install Raspbian via BerryBoot with VNC connection.
Tricky but not impossible.
And now ... NOOBS ... OS installer for ... noobies ... and it does not want to let Raspbian to boot ... hmmm ...

Gustaw

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:40 am

I think I posted into wrong thread (or at least not the latest).
The "issue" seems to be known as I came across another relevant thread :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=57125
I still need to read through all the pages to see whether the solution exists.

rdb

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Please could you try the v1.3.1 beta/test release from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/test/ and let me know if it fixes the issue for you?

metacat

Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Ok, I have the same problem with the Raspbian. Using VNC will probably work , but I do want to start "playing" on it now. I keep seeing over the forums "Modify the config.txt" file to force PAL or NTSC. WHERE IS THE CONFIG.TXT file ? If it doesn't exist, what's the location in which I should create it ? What is the default content of this file ?

I've been searching for it for hours in NOOBS 3.1.10 , 3.1.9 and 3.1.8.

Skip the "this question is not related , move it to another thread" part and please answer

BR

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:21 pm

metacat wrote:Ok, I have the same problem with the Raspbian. Using VNC will probably work , but I do want to start "playing" on it now. I keep seeing over the forums "Modify the config.txt" file to force PAL or NTSC. WHERE IS THE CONFIG.TXT file ? If it doesn't exist, what's the location in which I should create it ? What is the default content of this file ?
I've been searching for it for hours in NOOBS 3.1.10 , 3.1.9 and 3.1.8.
Skip the "this question is not related , move it to another thread" part and please answer
BR
To re-iterate: NOOBS is an installer, not the O.S. (Raspbian in your case) and does not use a config.txt file. But it does create a config.txt file for (each) O.S.('s) it install(s). That/those config.txt files are best (most easily)** edited via NOOBS' own editing tools available when having booted into its "RECOVERY mode" by holding or toggling a 'Shift' key during boot up - as shown here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... ting_Tools
Trev.
** The only other "easy" way is to put the SD card into a USB reader and plug it into another computer**** that recognises Linux partition types and use its editing tools to edit the file on the partition associated with the required O.S. This cannot be done with most Windows systems (without additional software?).
**** Could be another, working Pi, of course.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Return to “Troubleshooting”