piboy123

Trouble Booting New Pi

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi,

Short version: On startup, the ACT green light comes on, flashes a bit, stays on solidly for a second or two and then turns off. Pi doesn't seem to boot properly.

Long version:
Out of the box, my pi had some problems with the pre-installed SD card containing NOOBS.
Reading around, it seems this is not uncommon, so I've formatted and put a new OS on there (in this case the latest OpenElec 3.0.6) by following instructions here:
http://www.squirrelhosting.co.uk/hostin ... o.php?id=9

Having tried that, I now see that the ACT LED lights up with some flashing and then solid green, and then after a short while turns off. The LNK LED gives the tiniest brief flash too.
The power LED remains solidly lit throughout.
Additionally, I've never had any visible output to my TV that I had connected via HDMI when I tried any of this.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

I thought I read somewhere that I could test the SD card image on a desktop computer to see if that was the problem, so I downloaded QEMU and ran that - out of the box, that runs locally fine. It uses raspbian. I modified the run.bat to point to my openelec .img file but it says
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
I don't know what that means but it sounds bad. The existing run.bat that came supplied is identical apart from the name of the .img file. My .img file is in the same directory, I just altered the name in the .bat file.
I'm not sure if my approach is sensible..? I was just trying things.
Could anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

** EDIT
I've just tried with a new download of NOOBS 1.2.1 and I get the same behaviour, namely that the red LED stays on solidly, the ACT comes on, flashes, stays solid for a few seconds, maybe another flash or two and then turns off, and all I'm left with is the power light on, nothing else. (And no discernible HDMI output)

itimpi

Re: Trouble Booting New Pi

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:04 pm

From your description it sounds as if the Pi is booting, but your problem is display related in some way. If you think of the green ACT led as the equivalent to a PC HD activity light then you get an initial flash as the firmware is loaded; you get more solid green flashes as the OS loads. When the OS load is finished the green LED turns off.

Not sure what it is best to suggest, but I would be looking for alternative HDMI cables to try or an alternative output device. There is a sticky in the Beginner's forum about config.txt entries that are available for use when the auto-detect code does not recognise your display.

drgeoff

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:56 pm

Confirm that the RPi is actually booting by powering it up connected to a TV using the RCA phono socket. (Be sure to unplug the HDMI lead from the RPi before powering up.) You don't need a special video cable for that. An audio cable (eg with a red and white phono plug at each end) will be fine. There are usually 3 phono sockets on a TV - red, white and yellow. Connect to the yellow one. Don't forget to select the appropriate AV input on the TV. :)

onesolo

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 pm

I also got some major problems...
I received mine yesterday but I can't get to any final happy end... :cry:
I order mine (from RS) with the official power supply...

Yesterday, I tried to install it, first with the raspbmc image, no use... always the square multicolor screen...
Then, I tried the Noobs, I got the installation screen, and I got to install fine raspbmc, but after 1st boot again multicolor screen...
The tried a 2nd time, this time choosed Raspbian, but after installation, the same multicolor screen...
This was tested in 2 different TVs via hdmi. same simptoms...

Today, at work, I tried to install again. This time I used a Sony Arc micro usb power supply, it about 850mA, but the same multicolor screen...
The I tried a usb 2.0 port from my Ivy Bridge computer... on Noobs, it got the installation menu, but after I choose a distro, it said that the sd was corrupt, bla bla...
The I choose a usb 3.0 port, just for the fun to see what happened... but this time I choose to extract raspbmc image onto the sdcard.
On the first boot I got the text installation ui, got the 1 step but after the boot, again multicolor screen. I then turn it off and turn it on right away, and I got the 2nd step... resizing the sdcard bla bla bla... after that boot but it got stuck again with the multicolor screen...
Maybe the usb 3.0 port is not enough...
Perhaps the cause is the microusb power supply... even it doesn't work with the official one
At home I'm going to try with other 3 different power supplys...

WebKarnage

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:44 pm

I had repeated grief with booting my RPi. It would boot sometimes, then not others. Back and forth, trying different power supplies and all sorts. Thought the keyboard (horrid old Packard Bell one) might be an issue, etc etc.

It was booting roughly 1 time in 5. Once or twice when I did get it to boot got some odd behaviour with black screens when trying to exit apps, and other very random things.

Eventually I tracked it down to the adapter holding the microSD card with the OS on it! It behaved great every time it was in my Mac or PC, but ti proved in the end to be that as it's now stopped working in all devices. I had tried different data cards, but they all relied on the same adaptor to be used!!

Now I'm waiting for a bigger SD card to arrive (using a 2GB one with Raspbian on right now), but it is now booting EVERY time, having not done so before.

Keep searching for the source of the issue, it could be something you don't expect, and don't forget that there is a chance of data trouble on your card if you keep having to pull the power without a proper halt on the system.

piboy123

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks itimpi et al.

Your pointing out that it was in fact probably booting correctly helped a lot. I was fixated on that as the cause of my problems. It turned out that in this instance, everything was actuslly working but my TV wasn't switched to the right mode for HDMI input. Once I read your post I double checked the display connections and settings and saw my mistake.
Happy noob :-)

itimpi

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:33 am

piboy123 wrote:Thanks itimpi et al.

Your pointing out that it was in fact probably booting correctly helped a lot. I was fixated on that as the cause of my problems. It turned out that in this instance, everything was actuslly working but my TV wasn't switched to the right mode for HDMI input. Once I read your post I double checked the display connections and settings and saw my mistake.
Happy noob :-)
Glad it worked!

I have often found it is easy to miss the 'obvious' when troubleshooting. You can easily get fixated on the problem being in a particular area when that is not where you should be looking.

onesolo

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 pm

After friday, I do got more developments...

I format again my sdcard and put the full image of raspbmc. For the first time I got a boot till the end!!!
But once I reboot the system, I got again the multicolor screen. If I get the multicolor screen, I have to turn it off for a while, disconnect my mouse and ethernet cable and wait for a few minutes...
Even then I have to try between my other 3 usb chargers to see with witch one it can boot...
Also, if I tried to plug a usb pen, it can't handle, it reboots and goes to the multicolor screen...
With only a mouse, an ethernet plug and hdmi, how it can't handle the power of a usb pen ?!? How?!?
How unlucky I am ?!?

Today on one of the boots, I got panic kernel... just great...

This device is a complete joke or I got a really defective device...

BerryBot42

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:02 am

my Pi won't let me log in! I get the username in, but when I try to type the passcode, it doesn't register me typing! Please help!

itimpi

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:58 am

BerryBot42 wrote:my Pi won't let me log in! I get the username in, but when I try to type the passcode, it doesn't register me typing! Please help!
Linux systems never display anything while typing a password. You have to type it 'blind' and press Enter at the end to complete the entry.

Return to “Troubleshooting”