paaland

Re: Re-image SD card [solved]

Fri May 04, 2012 7:40 pm

I have previously written the Debian image to a 4GB SD card. Now I wanted to write the newer 2012-04-19 image. But win32disk imager complains about not enough space. I notice that only a single 128MB partition is visible to Windows. How can I clear the SD card to show it's full 4GB storage again thus allowing me to write the newer image.

I've tried the SDFormatter 3.1 tool, but that will only format the 128MB partition as well.

Cheers
Dragon 32>BBC Model B>PC>PC>PC>PC>Raspberry PI (circle complete)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Try going into control panel->administrative tools->computer management->disk management. From there you should be able to delete the partitions on the card and replace them with a single fat32 partition. Hopefully that will make win32diskimager happy.

paaland

Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I was able to delete the 128 MB partition and then the SD card suddenly regained it's full capacity.

Thanks

usul_le_fremen

Thu May 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Hello I received my Raspberry today!

I have the same problem with my 8 go card.

I tried with disk management on window. I can see 7.3 go not allocated (but I can't do anything like format this part) and I can also see my 70 Mo formated.

How did you managed to delete your 128 (70 in my case) partition?

Thanks

paaland

Thu May 10, 2012 6:54 pm

I downloaded a GParted live ISO image and flashed that to a USB stick. When booting from that it will allow you both to delete the partition, but even better to move the swap partition to the end and resize the extfs partition to take up all the free space.

usul_le_fremen

Thu May 10, 2012 7:14 pm

What a quick answer! This forum is really active! No solution with window? I'm downloading G-parted but I will be happy to find a solution easier. I can see the sd card correctly with r-studio. They said G-parted is the equivalent of partition magic maybe I will investigate this way too.

G-parted downloaded see you soon.

Thanks

Return to “Troubleshooting”