Roots

Control PC Desktop remote from Pi?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi guys, so I got my new Pi B, 512mb. I carry it with me and I want to be able to remote access and control my PC's desktop from the Pi. Everywhere I look, everyone is using their PC to access their Pi. I want to do the opposite.

I have seen that people are using VNC to access the Pi from their PC. How can I remotely access and fully control my PC from the Pi? I would want to see my PC desktop and use it like I was at the PC.

Thank you.
Last edited by Roots on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeJay

Re: Control PC Desktop remote from pi?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:20 pm

In case it helps people give a more specific reply: What operating systems are being used on the RPi and the PC?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Roots

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:24 pm

I have a Windows 7 machine. And have the Pi hooked up to the Internet through the Ethernet port. I have all the peripherals needed for the Pi. I also have any and all information to be able to connect to my PC. I just need to know how to connect remotely from my Pi that is hooked up to the Internet from a remote location.

It doesn't matter to me what OS I run on the Pi, I can put anything on there. But right now I am running the standard Raspbian Wheezy OS on the Pi.

Thanks.
Last edited by Roots on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeeJay

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:35 pm

Googling for "windows remote desktop for linux" found rdesktop

rdesktop v1.7.1 is in the standard repositories for Raspbian, so can be installed via apt-get install

That looks as if it all fits - but you might want to wait to see if anyone has actually used it - I admit I haven't.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

tvoverbeek

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:39 pm

You can also use VNC the other way around. Use a Windows VNC server on your PC.
There are several, just google for it.
Run a linux vnc client on your Pi.
You will have to know the externally accessible IP address of your PC to be able to connect
with the VNC client.
Hope this points you in the right direction.
Of course your Pi display needs to be large enough to display (most of) your PC display.

Roots

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:42 pm

Okay, this all sounds like what I need. Thanks everyone for the quick replies. If anyone else has any other suggestions, please reply to this thread.

I will update the thread to let everyone know how/if I was successful.

Roots

Re: Control PC Desktop remote from Pi?

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Okay, I have UltraVNC Server up and running on my PC.

1. Now, what do I need to do to the VNC running on the PC?

2. how do I install VNC on my Pi?

3. How do I make the connection?

Thanks.
Last edited by Roots on Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AndrewS

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:47 pm

If you're going to be accessing the VNC connection over the internet, you'll want to encrypt the connection using SSH (because the VNC protocol is unencrypted).
Lots of pre-existing guides: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vnc+ssh+port-forwarding+howto

Roots

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks.

1. How to I setup the VNC on the Pi?

2. How do I connect if it's just from my home PC? Like I have the Pi running through my Router's Ethernet connection.

Thanks.

AndrewS

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Really? :roll:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vnc+client+raspberry+pi
You just need to connect from the Pi to the PC's IP address, instead of connecting from the PC to the Pi's IP address.

Roots

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 pm

Okay, I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

drgeoff

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Don't forget that these remote protocols have a hard time with scrolling within windows, moving windows on the screen, motion video etc. Also VNC does not remote the PC's audio.

Roots

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:29 pm

Crap, I really need the Audio. Any other solutions?

Okay, this is what I need to do. I go to my bud's house on Sundays a lot. So we want to watch NFL Football live. But we want to watch any game we want, which is all available on the Internet live. The problem is that my bud's computer is not connected to his TV, and he has no HDMI connection coming from his computer, and his computer is a long way from the TV. But there is an Ethernet connection right at the TV.

So What I want to do is to use the Pi to connect to his Network through the Pi's Ethernet connection and then pull up a game on his computer, and then have that video come onto the TV in 1080p, (or whatever the Internet site broadcasting the game has). His computer does have an HDMI connection which I will use to connect the Pi to. I don't care about security, cause his Network is secure.

Is there any way that I can do this? I am a programmer, so I can understand technical stuff.

Thanks.

AndrewS

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:43 pm

In that case why are you even bothering with the faff of remote-desktops (which never cope well with video anyway)? Isn't there an XBMC plugin for OpenELEC or RaspBMC that'll allow the Pi to stream the games directly? If that doesn't work I believe mplayer or VLC are generally good options for streaming video (with sound) over a network.

Return to “Troubleshooting”