Aloha

RP doesn't start up with Occidentalis

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:57 am

Hi,

On my newly acquired RP B I first installed Noobs v. 1.2.1 (simply from Wondows, without any other software) and it started up at once.
However, I don't be successful in making the 150 Mbps Wireless 802.11.b/g/n nano USB Adapter from Edimax working to establish a Wlan access point.

Then I installed Occidentalis v.02 (I copied the image with Win32DiskImage to the card) but it doesn't start up at all: only the Power led is on.

What did I do wrong?

How may I make the USB adapters work?

Thanks and regards

Aloha

itimpi

Re: RP doesn't start up with Occidentalis

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:30 am

If it is new Pi, then it probably has RAM fitted of a type not being recognised by Occidentali (this is typically Micron indicated by a M on top of the RAM chip). If this is the case then you need a bootcode.bin file from a recent distribution on the boot partition.

Aloha

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:03 am

Hi,

Thank You.

To make the nano adapters work is there some configuration needed?

Aloha

itimpi

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:56 am

I always run the WiFi utility that is on the desktop (with Raspbian at least). You have to tell it what SSID to connect to, and any password required. Once you have done that it auto-starts during boot sequence.

Aloha

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:58 am

and I don't have to tell Wifi Config that there are 2 adapters?
In the window entitled wpa_gui there is an item "Adapter" there is an adapter named "wlan0" and there is no possibility to add another one.
I have entered the required information, and there was one adapter lighting blue, but only one!
And there is still no new acces point appearing in the computer.

Aloha

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Hello,

Nobody out there any more?

AndrewS

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Rather than trying to get both adaptors going at once, have you tried them individually one at a time to check they work separately?
I guess if using two USB Wifi adaptors, you'd definitely need to use a powered USB hub (they tend to be quite power-hungry devices, and the RPi can only deliver limited power over USB).

Return to “Troubleshooting”