teeth_03

Re: The Pi is to weak for XBMC (solved)

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:23 am

Is there anything else plugged into that switch that you could test to see if its working OK?

Mr.Dave

Re: The Pi is to weak for XBMC

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:01 pm

Why would you buy a very low end £25 linux board if you want super fast response for a media centre ?

toxibunny

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:39 pm

Mr.Dave wrote:Why would you buy a very low end £25 linux board if you want super fast response for a media centre ?
I don't believe he needs 'super fast response', just 'not taking literally all night to load a list of files' type of normal use... It's all mentioned earlier on in the thread.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

bennypr0fane

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:28 pm

surfatwork wrote:With mpd, it is actually quite trivial to get the setup you are after which I understand to be: music on NAS, Raspi connected to stereo, plays music from NAS and can be controlled remotely, headless.
It is exactly what I have, except that my music (~6000 files) is on a USB HDD instead of a NAS drive. that difference is irrelevant if your network is working correctly.
regardless of the question where the music files reside (usb hdd or nas), what would be the advantage of using mpd in raspbian over xbmc?
"You won't tell me, they won't tell me - I'll never know what to google!"

bennypr0fane

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 pm

teeth_03 wrote:Is there anything else plugged into that switch that you could test to see if its working OK?
Well my desktop pc is also behind that same switch, and it doesn't seem to have network issues. for instance, its file manager connects to the NAS and succeeds remembering it, it sees the network printer and other pcs. So just from normal use, I can't see anything weird going on in the network. I haven't done any proper diagnosing though with tools for that purpose (which I also don't know how to apply). I'm pretty sure the switch is fine anyhow.
There have been various smaller issues with other devices on the network, but this is really complicated as any of them could be related to those particular devices. I guess I just have to pass on a possible network issue being the culprit...
"You won't tell me, they won't tell me - I'll never know what to google!"

surfatwork

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:21 pm

bennypr0fane wrote:regardless of the question where the music files reside (usb hdd or nas), what would be the advantage of using mpd in raspbian over xbmc?
you'd be comparing apples and oranges. In a computer context, it would be like comparing windows media centre and winamp. mpd uses lesser resources, has less dependencies, doesnt need X, is configured using conf files, is fast. MPD can be controlled/accessed using clients which can be pretty GUIs (e.g. Ario) or command line (mpc). it doesnt support video.
XBMC offers a lot of bells and whistles, supports video and does most things that mpd can - maybe a bit more slowly and with a lot more footprint. For your requirement, XBMC seems like overkill.

warp

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 am

Running XBian 1.0 Beta 1.1(important!)

I use MPD and it's not flawless: everything works perfect as long the load on the lan is not too high. When doing some extensive tasks on the system where Gmpc is running there tend to be quit a few hickups.
On the other end, in the living room I just use Xmbc to stream my 40K+ music files (stored on a usb drive) to my HiFi, as well as movies and video clips to my TV, controling them with a Xbmc app and all without a glitch.

If you avoid the Xbmc paid-app, there is not really a need for indexing (library: which takes approx 16 hours in my case)
Furthermore, when using "flac" files it works smoother using the "flac" de/-encoder.(/etc/mpd.conf: httpd stream)
BTW I use my PI as NFS server so I do not realy need mpd, since I can just play the music straight from it' s folder(s) with any player on any system (NFS-client)

However, since MPD shows my files lightning fast, contrary to the banshees and rhytmboxes of this world, and making playlists is easy, there is a slight (:-)) preference to Gmpc (and Music Minion for Firefox)

dracupg

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:07 am

I find random playback playlists *very* slow, although there is a note on the wiki to expect this if the number of items is over 500. I like to play randomly by genre, e.g. Rock/Pop, and it will return a few thousand song results, which are also on NAS, so not much chance of it working on the pi I think. Playing individual artists or albums is fine though.

I was wondering if it were possible to generate the random playlist outside of XBMC and import it? My music database doesn't change that much, so this would probably get round my problem.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Gordon

warp

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 pm

If it's only music you want to play, forget XBMC and go for MPD, install MiniDLNA to share your images and NFS to share the folders in order to manipulate files and dirs.
Connect an external USB harddisk (on powered USB hub) with your music (I have 10.000+ files) and use it as your LAN music database.
Control MPD from every possible appliance with GMPC (tablet, desktop, notebook) or an App (iPhone, Android)

Connect your RPI to your stereo (pref. with USB-DAC) or TV, install pulseaudio and let it play your music or any sound from your computer running Spotify, Mixxx, Banshee, Rythmbox, etc., on your HiFi / TV speakers.

Have fun

Thenewhouse

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Hiya !,

I've just solved a similar sounding problem with my openelec xbmc media player.
It wouldn't load the root directory listing of my samba based storage system, it'd just sit there with lots of network traffic and then die ( reboot ).

I've tracked this down to the fact that xbmc automagicaly opens archives and tries to read the files within.

This is fine for a small amount of little zip files for albums etc. but I had a 22gb backup file in the root dir!

xbmc obviously has no sanity check when it goes looking in archives !

I moved the file to a sub dir that i'll not look in for media and now all works well.

So.. beware of large archives..

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Thenewhouse wrote: I've tracked this down to the fact that xbmc automagicaly opens archives and tries to read the files within.

This is fine for a small amount of little zip files for albums etc. but I had a 22gb backup file in the root dir!
On Helix automatic archive opening will be disabled by default on Pi. See here.

Thenewhouse

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Cool. I can't find an option on frodo to disable it.

dom

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Thenewhouse wrote:Cool. I can't find an option on frodo to disable it.
Frodo is very old. Gotham was released about a siz months ago and Helix is just about to release.
You'll need a Helix release to get this option. E.g.
http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/145 ... 4-released

Return to “Troubleshooting”