lucasmun09

Ralink rt2870/3070 Raspberry Pi/Linux FIX!!!!!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:43 pm

ALL CREDIT GOES TO dpenezic
Hello!
I recently bought a generic wifi dongle from eBay.... Even though it said it was Linux compatatible, it just would not work on my Raspberry Pi!!! I worked on this freaken thing for more than 6 days and was about to give up.... But then, I found this http://www.geekamole.com/2013/rt2800usb ... too-linux/ on here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 60#p394960.

This mumbo jumbo didn't make any sense at all.... Then After few days I discovered this page on the fourm, this another nice dude [dpenezic] complied the what was apperently the source code!

EDIT: I forgot to add the new driver files in here. Click here to download them!

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/downl ... hp?id=4144

EDIT: THIS PROBLEM CAN BE SOLVED RIGHT AWAY IF YOU DO

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
DO THIS OTHER WISE IF YOUR PI STILL IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE CHEAP EBAY DONGLE!

Here is how you do it:

Step 1: Extract the driver to a file after you download it here. Use a flashdrive to move and place it on /home/pi. This is where I placed mine. Also before you move the files, it is a good idea to extract it on a window's platform. It will be easier!

Step 2: There will be files in the /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00 with the same name. You must do

cd  /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00

sudo rm rt2800lib.ko
and

sudo rm rt2800usb.ko
* this will remove the previous not working drivers inside the Raspberry Pi

Step 3: Close out the Terminal and Open it back again..... (I think it is more quicker) Navigate to the folder you have extracted the file.

Step 4: Time to copy the files back to the driver folder. Do:

sudo cp rt2800lib.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00

sudo cp rt2800usb.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00
Step 5:now you will need to reboot. do

sudo reboot
Step 6: When it is back up running, check your wifi_supplicant or your wifi gui thingy on the Desktop....... You should see wlan0 on the device name and it should work like any other Wifi Dongles!!!!

JUST IN CASE IF IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!

Driver firmware may be needed.....
Do:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
Then to get to the directory where the thing you just downloaded is

cd linux-firmware
Lastly

cp -a rt*.bin /lib/firmware
If THIS doesn't work, then I have no idea what to tell you other than google a bit more :D Otherwise this will work majority of the time. I tried this on Xubuntu too so I am pretty sure this will work on any other linux distros....... Have fun with your now working Wifi Dongle!!!

**If I have any typos, please let me know**
ALL CREDIT GOES TO dpenezic
Last edited by lucasmun09 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

on7hn

Re: Ralink rt2870/3070 Raspberry Pi/Linux FIX!!!!!

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:36 pm

hello, it does not work anymore,
with new installation raterbian does work,
but after upgrade and patch , I get an error in dmesg

"rt2x00lib: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout"

and wlan0 is not available
someone has a solution
:(

lucasmun09

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:10 pm

on7hn wrote:hello, it does not work anymore,
with new installation raterbian does work,
but after upgrade and patch , I get an error in dmesg

"rt2x00lib: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout"

and wlan0 is not available
someone has a solution
:(
Hello! I am still in version 3.6.11+. It workes flawlessly for me now. I don't know what is the problem For the new update but I heard this was fixed already.

on7hn

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:27 am

:D Hello,
after a new "sudo rpi-update" today (15/09/2013) it is back working
tnx . raspbian, dpenezic ...
I love playin width raspberry pi.

My first microprocessor i aver had play'd
National Semiconductor SC/MP in 1976

greatings

eried

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:31 am

Worked nicely with a $4 USD dongle from eBay
It will be nice if you append the files here too.

Also: wireless-power off should be added to /etc/network/interfaces file
My website: www.ried.cl

lucasmun09

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:58 am

eried wrote:Worked nicely with a $4 USD dongle from eBay
It will be nice if you append the files here too.

Also: wireless-power off should be added to /etc/network/interfaces file
Hello! Nice to hear that it worked for you. What do you mean as to append files here also? The driver files are on the instructions step one if you stew refereeing to that.

eried

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Step 1: you mean in the forum links? Where it says download it here <- there is no link :P
My website: www.ried.cl

lucasmun09

Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 pm

eried wrote:Step 1: you mean in the forum links? Where it says download it here <- there is no link :P
Thanks! I just noticed that! I will fix that right now! xD

Shauno

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Extract the driver to a file after you download it here. Use a flashdrive to move and place it on /home/pi.
Hey dude,

I've tried to follow this guide, but I admit, I'm a newbie and i'm stuck on this step.

I've tried to use File Manager in Openelect, but I can't fine the Home/Pi directory.

Am I right in thinking I have to use File Manager in Openelec or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

lucasmun09

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:37 am

Shauno wrote:
Extract the driver to a file after you download it here. Use a flashdrive to move and place it on /home/pi.
Hey dude,

I've tried to follow this guide, but I admit, I'm a newbie and i'm stuck on this step.

I've tried to use File Manager in Openelect, but I can't fine the Home/Pi directory.

Am I right in thinking I have to use File Manager in Openelec or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?
Hello! If you are new to linux and raspberry pi, you should start out qith raspbian first. I posted a link in the directions for the new driver files you will be replacing it. I recommend you that you download the files on a windows machine then trasfer it via flash drive to your raspberry pi. Then it is pretry much straight forward.

Shauno

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:58 am

lucasmun09 wrote:
Shauno wrote:
Hey dude,

Hello! If you are new to linux and raspberry pi, you should start out qith raspbian first. I posted a link in the directions for the new driver files you will be replacing it. I recommend you that you download the files on a windows machine then trasfer it via flash drive to your raspberry pi. Then it is pretry much straight forward.
Yeah, no, thanks I appreciate it mate....

But my problem is, I don't know how to transfer it. I have the files on a flash drive, but I can't find the Home/Pi folder.

I assume you mean transferring the files by File Manager???

(I'm using OpenElec).

lucasmun09

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Shauno wrote:
Shauno wrote:
Hey dude,

Yeah, no, thanks I appreciate it mate....

But my problem is, I don't know how to transfer it. I have the files on a flash drive, but I can't find the Home/Pi folder.

I assume you mean transferring the files by File Manager???

(I'm using OpenElec).[/quote]

What do you mean you don't know how to trasfer it? Just stick it in the flash drive on raspberry pi! :D I wrote these steps using raspbian. What I think you can do is do

/cd /..
and tell me if there is a folder called lib and do

/cd lib
and check if there is a folder called modules. Then do

/cd modules
and then tell me what folders are there. All linux have a similar directories and I assume this is the part where it gets a bit different.
P.s. I think you know how to use basic commands such as /cd or /dir but I did this so other "newbies" can follow it xD
To be frank with you, I really haven't used openelec other than xbmc which runs great on this os.

Shauno

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Are you saying to use these commands through SSH Putty?

lucasmun09

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:05 pm

Shauno wrote:Are you saying to use these commands through SSH Putty?
Yes, on a SSH or you can just type it in when your raspberry pi boots up.

To be honest, there is 50/50 chance that the driver you are trying to install may work or not work since again, these direcetions were intended for raspbian.

Shauno

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm assuming that you are only putting the driver in the Home/Pi folder due to it being Raspbian?

lucasmun09

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Shauno wrote:I'm assuming that you are only putting the driver in the Home/Pi folder due to it being Raspbian?
That too but it is just simpler because the terminal goes in to that directory the first thing het starts running

RichardAke

Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:48 pm

CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo apt-get update
Using 2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbain.img I was never able to resolve this issue on my Model A (I tried the steps provided here to copy the files to a USB stick and move them to the appropriate folders on the Model A. I also tried some suggestions from other website about blacklisting certain drivers). Finally, I moved the SD card into a Model B that was connected to a wired network and did sudo apt-get update. This alone did not fix the problem. So after sudo apt-get update I did sudo apt-get upgrade and that resolved the issue. I am wondering if sudo apt-get upgrade should be added to the EDIT quoted above?

lucasmun09

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:02 pm

I dont know what the problem was but this whole thing was written before the drivers were fixed in the rasbian. Just updatung the raspbian should do the trick.... so i personally thing the "upgrade" is pointless..

RichardAke wrote:
CODE: SELECT ALL
sudo apt-get update
Using 2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbain.img I was never able to resolve this issue on my Model A (I tried the steps provided here to copy the files to a USB stick and move them to the appropriate folders on the Model A. I also tried some suggestions from other website about blacklisting certain drivers). Finally, I moved the SD card into a Model B that was connected to a wired network and did sudo apt-get update. This alone did not fix the problem. So after sudo apt-get update I did sudo apt-get upgrade and that resolved the issue. I am wondering if sudo apt-get upgrade should be added to the EDIT quoted above?

Return to “Troubleshooting”