lucasmun09

Usb Wifi Dongle Not working?

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:08 am

So I bought this cheapo-kind generic wifi usb dongle. Apperantly, it uses rt2870 chipset from Ralink...... So I got it working on my Window computers but just could not on my raspberry pi.

From the directions here,http://ubunturt2870.pbworks.com/w/page/ ... /FrontPage, step 6, I should do command 'sudo make' and 'sudo make install'.

This is what I got....

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~/Desktop/wifidriver/official driver $ sudo make
make -C tools
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/pi/Desktop/wifidriver/official driver/tools'
gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pi/Desktop/wifidriver/official driver/tools'
/home/pi/Desktop/wifidriver/official driver/tools/bin2h
make: /home/pi/Desktop/wifidriver/official: Command not found
make: *** [build_tools] Error 127
pi@raspberrypi ~/Desktop/wifidriver/official driver $ sudo make install
make -C /home/pi/Desktop/wifidriver/official driver/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
make: *** /home/pi/Desktop/wifidriver/official: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [install] Error 2
pi@raspberrypi ~/Desktop/wifidriver/official driver $ 
fyi, I am kinda noobie at linux...... Thanks for looking!

pichicken

Re: Usb Wifi Dongle Not working?

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:43 pm

It seems that the make process has got problems handling the space in the name of the "official driver" folder.
Try renaming it so that it contains no spaces.
The knowledge gained from a failure is more valuable than an immediate success.

lucasmun09

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:49 pm

pichicken wrote:It seems that the make process has got problems handling the space in the name of the "official driver" folder.
Try renaming it so that it contains no spaces.
So I did what you said...... Same error, build:no such file or directory. Stop. I don't think the name is the problem......

When you do command : 'build' , what does it exactly do?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 pm

lucasmun09 wrote: ...
From the directions here,http://ubunturt2870.pbworks.com/w/page/ ... /FrontPage, step 6, I should do command 'sudo make' and 'sudo make install'
Having looking at the link above it appears that the source code etc. referred to there is for i386 or amd64 m/c's (ie. not arm... which the Pi is) - hence it is quite likely that the compile etc. will fail. Just in case it can cope with the Pi's architecture you could try this:

./configure

make

and, only if the above works,
sudo make install

NB: if there's no "configure" file in the top-level directory then they're using a different "build" process to what I'm used to (eg. cmake perhaps?).
Trev.

Trev
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

lucasmun09

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:46 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
lucasmun09 wrote: ...
From the directions here,http://ubunturt2870.pbworks.com/w/page/ ... /FrontPage, step 6, I should do command 'sudo make' and 'sudo make install'
Having looking at the link above it appears that the source code etc. referred to there is for i386 or amd64 m/c's (ie. not arm... which the Pi is) - hence it is quite likely that the compile etc. will fail. Just in case it can cope with the Pi's architecture you could try this:

./configure

make

and, only if the above works,
sudo make install

NB: if there's no "configure" file in the top-level directory then they're using a different "build" process to what I'm used to (eg. cmake perhaps?).
Trev.

Trev
So as you predicted, there is no configure file. From What I have researched and learned,

Code: Select all

make -C /home/pi/Desktop/wifidriver/official driver/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
make: *** /home/pi/Desktop/wifidriver/official: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [install] Error 2
Maybe this the problem?

Return to “Troubleshooting”