pugsl33

Re: Win 32 disk imager

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 pm

Right click on win32 icon and run as a administrator. I just had that problem an hour ago! :D

stevhorn5

Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm

I find a digital camera is a quick and easy way to format my sd cards

fadil

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi,

Thank you guys. I tried everything.

The final thing which I dint try was to open win 32 disk imager 'open as Administrator'

And it worked

CosineKitty

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi, I had the same problem using Win32 Disk Imager (error 5) trying to write the wheezy image to an 8GB SD card. Deleting the partition did fix the problem for me, but I think there may be a simpler way, or at least it worked for me. It turns out that on my Windows 7 machine there was a program running in the background called UMonit.exe. I noticed that if I went into Task Manager and killed it (End Process), suddenly I could read or write another SD card without having to delete a partition first. I also notice that other stuff has started working better: I can now "Safely Remove" a USB drive or SD card, where before it always gave me an error.

I permanently fixed this problem by running the Windows built-in utility msconfig, prevented UMonit.exe from loading during startup, and rebooted. Now everything works great. The good thing is, even if you find you need UMonit.exe later (I still have no idea what it is or why anyone would want it), this procedure is reversible: you can always turn this back on and it will start loading again. Here are instructions for those who want to try this:

1. Click Start button.
2. Type MSCONFIG and press Enter.
3. You will see a window that says System Configuration.
4. Click the Startup tab (the fourth tab from the left).
5. Look for something that says "ChangeIcon Application". When you hover the mouse over the Command column for this item, you will see C:\Windows\SysWOW64\UMonit.exe.
6. Uncheck the box to the left of "ChangeIcon Application".
7. Click the Apply button.
8. Click the OK button.
9. You will be asked whether you want to restart the computer now or exit MSCONFIG without restarting. If you don't have any important programs running or work that needs to be saved, go ahead and restart. Otherwise, exit without restarting, save your stuff, close your programs, then manually restart your computer.
10. After restarting the computer, try running Win32 Disk Imager again (and yes, you will still need to right-click and run as administrator).

I hope this helps somebody avoid having to manually delete partitions. I just performed these steps on a second SD card and it works perfectly now.

- Don

RolfBly

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:34 pm

I had the same error 5 when using Image Writer for Windows on a fresh 8 GB card.
After a quick reformat with SD formatter 4 for SD/SDHC/SDXC, the image was written without any errors.

kkmike999

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:17 am

Download the latest version of win32 diskimager.http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
Then everything is on the rails

mrpinks

Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:35 am

Check also for Antivirus running that may lock the drive on insertion. ie Clamwin, Clam Sentinel etc. Disable antivirus then check the drive can be mounted to perform win32diskimager reading.

RupertAvery

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:13 pm

Running on Windows 10, I had this same problem. I could not format the SD Card using SDFormatter v4 or write to the drive with Win32Diskimager.

I used diskpart to remove all partitions from the sdcard, and was able to format and write my image.

HawaiianPi

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:29 am

RupertAvery wrote:
Running on Windows 10, I had this same problem. I could not format the SD Card using SDFormatter v4 or write to the drive with Win32Diskimager...
Win32DiskImager was never a very good program. But 7 years ago when this thread you necro'd was started it was all that Windows users had.

Now we have Etcher, which is a far superior solution: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Etcher will extract the image from the .zip archive, write the card, verify the card, and safely eject the card all in one operation.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

martinu

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:47 pm

RupertAvery wrote:
Running on Windows 10, I had this same problem. I could not format the SD Card using SDFormatter v4 or write to the drive with Win32Diskimager.

I used diskpart to remove all partitions from the sdcard, and was able to format and write my image.
I had the dreaded Error 5 but I saw a suggestion further up the thread about defraggers. I need to remember: before imaging a card or writing an image back to a card, make sure Defraggler is not running.

martinu

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:29 am
RupertAvery wrote:
Running on Windows 10, I had this same problem. I could not format the SD Card using SDFormatter v4 or write to the drive with Win32Diskimager...
Win32DiskImager was never a very good program. But 7 years ago when this thread you necro'd was started it was all that Windows users had.

Now we have Etcher, which is a far superior solution: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Etcher will extract the image from the .zip archive, write the card, verify the card, and safely eject the card all in one operation.
Does Etcher work both ways: copying card to image file and (as you describe) image file to card? The web link that you quote doesn't mentioning copying card to image file.

pcmanbob

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm

martinu wrote:
Does Etcher work both ways: copying card to image file and (as you describe) image file to card? The web link that you quote doesn't mentioning copying card to image file.
As far as I know etcher will only write an image on to the SD card, it will not read an SD card and create an image from it, there was talk of that being a feature they were going to add but not so far.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

martinu

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:31 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm
martinu wrote:
As far as I know etcher will only write an image on to the SD card, it will not read an SD card and create an image from it, there was talk of that being a feature they were going to add but not so far.
I've just downloaded and installed it, and it looks as if you are right. So it's not that much use for a reversible tool - to be able to create an image of the system drive as a "restore point" before doing a package update, in case it all goes pear-shaped.

I imagine there are other tools which do the same job as Win32 Disk Imager. Are they any better, or is that still the best tool for copying both ways card -> file and file -> card?

B.Goode

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:38 pm

In the 7 years since this topic was started the Raspberry Pi Foundation have released their own SD Card Copier utility, installed by default with the full bundle of the Raspbian Stretch Operating System.

That doesn't "do the same job as Win32 Disk Imager" but might meet some of your needs?

pcmanbob

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm

B.Goode wrote:
In the 7 years since this topic was started the Raspberry Pi Foundation have released their own SD Card Copier utility, installed by default with the full bundle of the Raspbian Stretch Operating System.

That might meet some of your needs?
The SD card copier utility is great from copying from SD card to SD card, but you can't use it to create an image of an SD card as an image file,
for a windows PC as far as I am aware win32 disk imager is still the only way to create an image file from the SD card.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jahboater

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:06 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
The SD card copier utility is great from copying from SD card to SD card, but you can't use it to create an image of an SD card as an image file,
for a windows PC as far as I am aware win32 disk imager is still the only way to create an image file from the SD card.
What about using the Pi?
This sort of thing is easy on Linux and no special software need be installed, the basic tool "dd" works both ways.
Find a spare card and install Raspbian on it. Boot the Pi with it.
Put the card you want to clone in a USB card reader.
Put the USB reader in the Pi, and use dd to copy the raw disk to a file somewhere.
You could pipe it through gzip for a smaller backup image file.
Last edited by jahboater on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andyroo

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:10 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
B.Goode wrote:

That might meet some of your needs?
Anyone tried DISM https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... at-is-dism and its FFU support? My gut feel is it’s Windows disks only but I’m not a Win user :D :roll: :D

B.Goode

That (SDCardCopier) might meet some of your needs?

It isn't clear what the posters who have resurrected this long-neglected thread hope to achieve. Hence the three provisional qualifiers in my tentative reply...

martinu

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:40 pm

B.Goode wrote:
That (SDCardCopier) might meet some of your needs?

It isn't clear what the posters who have resurrected this long-neglected thread hope to achieve. Hence the three provisional qualifiers in my tentative reply...
I think it's fairly clear what I was trying to achieve: the ability to copy from an SD card to an image file, as a "restore point" before making a potentially dangerous upgrade, and then to restore back from the image to the card if the upgrade cocks things up, or if at some stage the card contents become corrupted.

I had a corrupted card: the Pi had behaved flawlessly for several months, with the occasional reboot. Then one innocuous reboot caused a boot loader error (I forget the details) and none of the remedies that people had posted fixed it, so I cut my losses and reinstalled from scratch, documenting all the configuration changes I made to the OS and to packages that I installed, taking images of the card at crucial stages. I tend to keep the last two images in case I may need one of them.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:41 pm

for simply imaging Raspbian on an SD card Win32 disk imager is obsolete, Use Etcher!

for other uses there might be still use in win32 disk imager.

Horses for courses.

pisti81

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:17 pm

I have the same issue! All my brand new SD-card which I have burned an image is no longer usable. The Boot and recovery partitions are intact, the rest two is inaccessible. Tried partition magic and several other partition tools, but no luck. If I try to burn the images with etcher or win32, both fail after a few percents and access denied error message is displayed.
So I assume they are dead. Earlier when I was playing with my retropi and wanted to format and reinstall, somehow I managed to recover in a few steps. Partition magic and computer management helped. Few steps back and forth but in the end, it worked. Now some reason it is not. Also my DSLR camera was able to format the card somehow, but again not all of them works the same way.
Hope it was helpful.

SharkPolo

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:40 pm

I used the Windows 10 disk manager and deleted all the partitions.
It worked for me.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:46 pm

To remove all old partitions, simply use the official sd-card formatter at https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html

Return to “Troubleshooting”