NikEy

Edimax Wifi Dongle + RPi

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:41 am

Hi all,

I have encountered a weird problem. So far I had no problems in using the Edimax Wifi Dongle in combination with my raspberry pi. However, today it wouldn't connect to my network anymore after I accidentally stuck it in a ping loop (I wanted to create a script that checks if my network connection is down). The odd thing is that now (after rebooting numerous times) the attached keyboard is not working anymore either whenever the wifi-dongle is connected. On its own the keyboard works on the RPi... I figured the dongle must be broken - but it works flawlessly when attaching it to my windows PC. I then came to the conclusion that I must have somehow corrupted the system, so I flashed the drive with the latest wheezy version. Unfortunately the result is the same - whenever the dongle is connected, I can't even use the keyboard.

Anyone had this before? How can I fix this?

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Edimax Wifi Dongle + RPi

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:40 am

Sounds like it might be an ampage issue. Have a look at the sticker on the bottom of your keyboard, you should see a power rating saying something like 5V == 100 mA. If the mA value is higher than 100 then you will probably have a problem. The Pi can only supply 100 mA of current to each USB device. So the same rule applies for the Wifi dongle, one definite solution is to run them through a powered USB hub.

Killasin

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Funny thing is, I have the same WiFi dongle. I got a USB hub for my pi to power the dongle and have slots for keyboard+mouse. The weird thing for me is that the dongle works perfectly with my USB hub, but my hub doesn't support any other devices. I plugged my keyboard and mouse into the hub, the blue light for their ports flicker a little, and then it goes off, not supporting the devices. Even when the dongle is removed from the hub, the other devices don't work.

pluggy

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Depends a lot on the exact operating system, and how up to date it is and what you have plugged into the USB as well as the power supply. I use generic Realtek RTL8188CUS adapators (the same chipset as the Edimax) directly plugged into the Pi without issues. I don't take anything relating to USB for granted on the Pi, its way too tetchy for that. My Wifi adaptors use about 35mA in normal use (I measured them).
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “Troubleshooting”