anm

Booting over and over again (should be solved)

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:42 pm

I have installed pi with Noobs_v1, but after installing OS it just boots over and over again, like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssfUQKGI ... e=youtu.be

There's video of Pi's board leds during the boot cycle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PJl_kRu ... e=youtu.be

Here's the capture of the screen: Image
Link for the larger picture of the image: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2iru87r&s=5

Any help would be appreciated.

drgeoff

Re: Booting over and over again

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Frequently caused by an inadequate power supply. The RPi starts to boot. At a certain point as more of the system is intialised and takes more current the power supply voltage drops below a critical value and the system reboots. Ad infinitum.

What PSU are you using? Not all of them deliver what is written on the label. And if using a separate USB to micro-USB cable, some of those have very thin wires and drop too much voltage.

anm

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:37 pm

I have Belkin's USB wall adapter: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2wr163k&s=5

The adapter's max output is: 5V - 1A.
I have tried with two different micro usb cables with no luck, but haven't tried with any other usb adapter, though.

rdb

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:06 pm

This may be due to the specific options selected for the SD Association's Formatting Tool.

Could you try reformatting your SD card using a "Full (Overwrite) Format" (rather than just a "Quick Format") then install the latest version of NOOBS (v1.2) from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/noobs ?

Please let me know if that solves the reboot cycle issue.

cheba

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:23 am

Exact same thing happened to me.

I tried using an external power supply (samsung galaxy Y charger, and then a USB cable in order to get the power from the same tv which is connected via HDMI to the Raspberry)

I tried NOOBS v1.2, and installed Raspbian and Raspbmc

I am using a kingston SD card 8 GB class 4.

I tried to format the SD card in all modes, it didn't make any difference.

Important: Once, after installing Raspbian OS it showed raspi-conf, then without changing anything I pressed "finish" button, and it was fine, Raspbian finally run. But then I restarted the raspberry pi and it entered in the booting loop forever.
I tried to format the SD card, copy NOOBS and install Raspbian again but this time it doesn't even runs raspi-conf.

What could it be??? I would appreciate if you could help me.

anm

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:28 am

Now I get a little bit further. The reason was, i was used a quick format when I was formatting SD. Now I did a full format with the overwrite option. Installed NOOBS v1.2 and selected Rasbian as OS. Everything was fine, it booted fine in the first time.

BUT, the same thing happened now for me as for cheba. When I restarted the OS by 'shutdown -r now', the same neverending booting cycle started again. Now it just does the same thing, boots over and over again.

Any ideas?

anm

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:05 am

Hmm, it seems there's something wrong with the NOOBS software in my case, since i got it working by installing the Raspbian “wheezy” image. Can be found here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
It works fine with that.

parsl

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:08 am

I have the same issue. Was fine when I used NOOBS v1.1 to install Raspbian but now I'm using NOOBS v1.2 and after a successful first boot when I enabled SSH and the Camera it now fails to load and goes into the boot loop.
I have an early Model B which only has 256Mb ram - not sure if this is relevant.

cheba

Re: Booting over and over again THE SOLUTION

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Well, it seems to be a bug in NOOBS..

Now it works fine, what I did is the following steps (using Windows):

1) Format the SD card in quick mode and format size adjustment ON with SDFormatter.
2) Downloaded a Raspbian “wheezy” image, and extracted the .img using WinRAR or any other of that kind of software (winzip, etc.)
3) Recorded it to the SD card using Win32DiskImager

Done. :D

Thank you all anyway!

rdb

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:14 pm

Could people experiencing the rebooting issue please provide details on;
- the OS platform/version used to format the SD cards
- the make and capacity of the SD cards used
- the settings (and version) of the SD Association's Formatting Tool used to format the SD card as FAT

We are currently unable to replicate this bug in house so could do with your help to try to identify the cause.

Thanks,

Rob

anm

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:49 am

Hi Rob,

My setup:

- Windows 8
- 4GB SD (SanDisk Ultra)
- The latest version of SDA formatting tool (ver. 4.0) https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... a_windows/
Last edited by anm on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Can you do the following:

1) Hold shift to boot into noobs
2) Press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and login, username - root, password - raspberry
3) type: "od -tx1 -Ax -N512 /dev/mmcblk0

Thanks

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

courior

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi,

I made a separate thread about this, and was directed here, seeing as you guys need help to fix the bug ill give all the info u need:
Thread with all my info/experience:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 26#p376026

- the OS platform/version used to format the SD cards
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (fully updated) AVG anti-virus.

- the make and capacity of the SD cards used
One was a Kingston SD10G2/16GB Ultimate 100X, the other was a cheapo "TEAM" 8gb microsd in an adapter. Same results on both (and i tried both with different power supplies/usb cables etc..)

- the settings (and version) of the SD Association's Formatting Tool used to format the SD card as FAT
SD Formatter V.4.0 --- Something interesting here, when I didnt follow instructions and used "SIZE ADJUTMENT" = OFF , the boot loop started after OS installation and didnt even let me go once into the OS... Then when i made it with SIZE ADJUSTMENT = ON it allows me to enter the OS once, like other people are reporting.

Additional Info:
After the quick bit of normal linux black and white booting text the "other" green light flickers a millisecond before the reboot, i have read this is a network status light/usb controller light, so might be to do with something here. Also when i got into the OS and checked firmware it was X.X.11 where as in screenshots on here the last part was 32! so there is for sure a V old firmware in the rasbian image.

I also managed to catch a screenshot with a camera of the black and white writing as no logs are being recorded to the card. Sorry for the size of the image, but to get all the text in and readable i needed to leave it big.
http://postimg.org/image/q8wldcy1t/

If you need more help then I would love to contribute.

acsmithjr

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 pm

I am attempting to install an image using the following:

SD Card (tried 2 different ones)
DANE-SC SD HC 4GB (purchased from Allied with order of RPi)
SanDisk UltraII SD HC 15 MB/s 4GB

1. Verified the checksum with sha1sum
2. Formatted withing a Win XP Pro running Virtual from VMWare. SDFormatter v4.0 [4, 0, 0, 0]
3. First attempt with set up of SD settings: Quick format, Auto Format Size Adjustment
4. Second attempt: Full Erase Format, Auto Format Size Adjustment
5. Tried several different power adapters: The one sent from Allied (MW GS 5U-USB 5V 1 A 5 W, Apple 10 W USB, and a no-name block charger).
6. Rried Archlinux (once) and Raspbian 9 a few times.
7. ran od -tx1 -Ax -N512 /dev/mmcblk0
Output attached in photo
Attachments
rpi-cropped.jpg
rpi-cropped.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 46390 times

gsh

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Can you make sure the FAT partition create with the SD association tool has a label....

I understand what is going wrong, but currently don't understand the world most arcane file allocation system yet! Would you believe that FAT16 could have lived for this long!!!

It might be worth doing this:

1) format the card with the SD tool as before (mostly to get rid of any partitions and make sure you end up with the OS reporting the right size)
2) Format the card using the standard Windows format (right click on the drive letter in explorer and select "Format..." but ask it to format it as FAT32
3) Continue to copy the NOOBS files on...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

andrum99

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:58 pm

I'm seeing this problem as well. After I saw this problem when trying to use NOOBS 1.2, I wrote NOOBS 1.1 to the card instead (following the recommended procedure for MS Windows) using my laptop. I then used the card with NOOBS 1.1 on it to install Raspbian and successfully booted Raspbian via NOOBS several times.

I then tried the same using NOOBS 1.2, which got me into the reboot loop. I had a look at the card which was causing my Pi to go into a reboot loop, on my laptop (under MS Windows) and noticed that for some reason the file "BUILD-DATA" had lost its Long File Name (LFN) and was being shown as "BUILD-~1". I changed the name using Windows Explorer, which instead of renaming the file caused a second file of the same size "BUILD-DATA" to appear in the Windows Explorer window. I pressed F5 and the duplicate file disappeared.

I then opened a CMD.exe prompt with administrator privileges and did a CHKDSK h: /f on the drive. This said something about a stray directory entry and said it had fixed it. I then took the card out of my laptop and put it back in the Pi and it now boots into Raspbian, via NOOBS quite happily.

So it seems somewhere along the line the first primary partition is getting corrupted in some way that CHKDSK is able to fix. Fixing that gets it working on my Pi at least.

andrum99

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:16 pm

gsh wrote:I understand what is going wrong
Care to share? It looks like some sort of filesystem corruption to me but I'm at the limit of my expertise in this area.

Thanks

Andrew.

3dcircle

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 am

Rob

NOOBS_v1_1, NOOBS_v1_2
Lexar SDHC 4GB Platinum II 60x, pny Optima SDHC 4GB 60x HD
Lexar RW047 SDHC Reader
Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-48-generic i686)
GParted 0.11.0
Pi model B (c)2011,12 markings on back in white rectangles 03/05 and 13 14
CyberPower USB 2.0 4-port hub with power adapter 5V 2.6A
ONN mini travel mouse Stock No. ONH11HO092 100 ma
Logitech K120 P/N 820-003288 5V 100ma
HDMI/DVI adapter RadioShack 1500374
Dell Monitor
Generic PC

Hope this can be of some help. I started with NOOBS_v1_1 and Lexar SDHC 4GB Platinum II 60x prior to June 22 when I began taking notes. First attempt, with FAT16 by gparted and copy paste the unzipped files to SD, used standard/micro cable from 2.6 ma hub to power pi and keyboard and . No on screen response. After consulting troubleshooting site I disconnected cable from Pi USB to hub input and think that was my first splash. While still powered I reconected the hub to the Pi and the mouse worked. I selected Raspberrian and install and watched the slides until getting the messages "Restore Complete" and "Image applied successfully". When I clicked OK the monitor went black. I subsequently replaced Pi power with a tablet 2.1A USB charger. Measured voltage on PI: 4.86V TP1 to TP2. I could get to restore by holding the shift key but to get past that required reformatting the SD. The Restore would complete successfully but monitor went blank on clicking ok or stayed blank if not holding the shift key. Re-initialized SD many times (at least 4) (gparted, new partition table msdos Fat32, copy unzipped NOOBS_v1_1 files, paste to SD). Lexar formatted as 3.75GiB FAT32.

NOOBS_v1_2.zip (built Jun 20, 2013) accessed Sun 23 Jun 2013 10:50:48 AM CDT. Re-initialized SD to: New MSDOS partition 1 MiB preceeding, 3838 New size, 0 MiB following, align to MiB, create as Primary, Fat32. Copy/Paste NOOBS files to SD, check with gparted. 5BAD-9EAC contains 10 files in 3.75GiB FAT32 partition (255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 489 cylinders, 7861248 total sectors, 512 sector size). Cycled power with shift key held. "Restore complete - Image applied Successfully" at 1:15pm 6/23/13. Screen went blank. Waited til 2:38. Power off, count to 30, power on. Watch act light: some activity over 5 minutes, blind type sudo halt. Cycle power - same behavior over 2 minutes. Repeat but hold shift key. "Restore Complete - Image applied successfully". Act light blinks about 48 seconds and goes out, blinks about 60 seconds and 92 seconds. Wait about 5 minutes and blind sudo halt. Remove SD, insert in ubuntu. Two partitions seen; BOOT contains 12 files; 2.7GB Filesystem contains 20 folders. Ubuntu can read all but "lost+found" and "root" which have permissions drwx------ not drwxr-xr-x like the other folders. Gparted reports Pi reformatted SD to:
/dev/sdc1 FAT32 RECOVERY 1.17GiB
/dev/sdc2 extended 2.57GiB
unallocated 4.00MiB
/dev/sdc5 FAT16 boot 56 Mib
unallocated 4.00MiB
/dev/sdc6 UUID 2.51GiB

Confirmed that the sha1sum matches on the zip file. Re-initialized and copied NOOBS files. Restarted Pi - "resizing FAT". "Restore Complete - image applied successfully" at about 9 minutes. Screen went black then text appeared almost immediately when I clicked on OK. Software configuration tool appeared, expand Flesystem reports NOOBS probably used, selected finish, prompt appeared without login.

Tried new 4GB SDHC from pny OPTIMA formats to FAT32 3.69GiB. Worked once then one reboot but not successful with repeated attempts with or without RECOVERY.

CURRENT STATUS SAME SD NO RE-INITIALZATION

Removed USB hub, plugged keyboard and mouse into Pi. Re-powered and got splash in about 5 seconds and text on screen in about 25. Startx, explore, close desktop, logout, sudo halt, count to 30, repower and got text and a login prompt. This has now been repeated several times.

CONCLUSION

Without the hub my Pi is working well. It is a very impressive computer and will be great to explore. I would like to know if there is a timing issue in the software and an extra delay through the hub or whether the hub could be interferring with the Pi power or ...

Hope this helps,
3dcircle

Same behavior - began noting act light behavior.
Got to a login - startx to desktop then selected an app that hung. Could not sudo halt.
; 4.91V and 4.81V on polyfuse

alchemae

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 am

Same symptoms on my model b, SD card loaded using NOOBS 1.2.

Workaround of repairing BUILD-DATA file and running chkdsk got me through.

RunSilent

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:37 am

andrum99 wrote: I then tried the same using NOOBS 1.2, which got me into the reboot loop. I had a look at the card which was causing my Pi to go into a reboot loop, on my laptop (under MS Windows) and noticed that for some reason the file "BUILD-DATA" had lost its Long File Name (LFN) and was being shown as "BUILD-~1". I changed the name using Windows Explorer, which instead of renaming the file caused a second file of the same size "BUILD-DATA" to appear in the Windows Explorer window. I pressed F5 and the duplicate file disappeared.

I then opened a CMD.exe prompt with administrator privileges and did a CHKDSK h: /f on the drive. This said something about a stray directory entry and said it had fixed it. I then took the card out of my laptop and put it back in the Pi and it now boots into Raspbian, via NOOBS quite happily.

So it seems somewhere along the line the first primary partition is getting corrupted in some way that CHKDSK is able to fix. Fixing that gets it working on my Pi at least.
This worked for me too. I installed, rebooted and got into the reboot loop. I powered off and did the above on the SD card, saw exactly the same symptoms. Put the card back and it booted right up! Rebooted multiple times without any problems. Using a Sandisk 4gb disk that came with the Adafruit kit.

MrEngman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 am

I have NOOBS v1.2 running with Raspbian. All seems to work fine but was curious and checked my SD card as it appears to have the same directory entries.

Running chkdsk in Windows and it reported an error about nonvalid long folder entry , but for me it runs OK in my Pi.

Ran chkdsk /f and got this

Code: Select all

The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is CC6C-2232
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Removing nonvalid long folder entry from \...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
There was a similar issue with the boot directory entries being corrupted a while back if using rpi-update and loading either Mar 18 or Mar 24 updates in raspbian. The next rpi-update after installing either of those two would then fail to boot. That error appeared to generate long file name entries for normal 8.3 file names. More info on that here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 22#p324222. Not sure if they are related but just in case they are thought I should mention it.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

gsh

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:27 am

It looks like the problem is actually the creation of the FAT directory structure and more specifically the volume label which appears in the root directory with a special attribute of 0x8

Unfortunately the one on the bad cards is 0xf which is an attribute describing a long file name and therefore the next two entries in the root directory are skipped.

This means that we ignore the following two entries... With people who have the thing booting over and over one of these is the recovery.cmdline entry which means it tried to boot NOOBS without command line. But there's another case where it can't find the kernel image and you just get the splash screen of death.

Just trying to understand what it is about our filesystem creation that is going wrong now...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

MrEngman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:10 am

gsh wrote:But there's another case where it can't find the kernel image and you just get the splash screen of death.

Just trying to understand what it is about our filesystem creation that is going wrong now...

Gordon
That is pretty much what happened with the problem with rpi-update. In that case, however, Pi just flashed the ACT LED three times repeatedly and refused to boot - couldn't find start.elf - due to the corrupt directory entries.

Weird problem. Good luck in hunting it down.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

rdb

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:13 am

We believe that we now have fixed the issue. Could people please try downloading the latest version of NOOBS from https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs_binaries/tree/dev and retry? You will also need to copy the /images directory from the NOOBS version available from /downloads onto the SD card.

MrEngman

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:57 am

Tried it and looks OK. Loaded Raspbian, shutdown and rebooted a few times. No problems with chkdsk now.

MrEngman

EDIT: Just one oddity - viewing the card in windows explorer shows no date for file recovery.cmdline. using command DIR from the command line show the file with a data of 01/01/1980 00:00 66 recovery.cmdline.

This however was the same with NOOBS v1.2.

The file when unzipped and copied to the SD card before running NOOBS shows 26/06/2013 04:09 80 recovery.cmdline

EDIT: date and time not set when file is changed and re-written I suppose.

Return to “Troubleshooting”