jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Act LED blinks 8 times no video

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:50 pm

drgeoff wrote:If we can have a global sticky with red text in all sections of the forum for mere changes to the forum, surely we can have another with bigger multicoloured text warning of this.

And the vendors should be sticking a big label to every Micron-equipped RPi they dispatch.
In hand, I have a feeling the Micron RAM has hit users quicker than expected.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Nayar

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:10 am

Tried the N00BS and it worked from my 32GB microSD :)

Hope the normal debian gets updated

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 am

Nayar wrote:Tried the N00BS and it worked from my 32GB microSD :)

Hope the normal debian gets updated
I'll update the Raspbian and armel wheezy images over the weekend.

Burngate

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:30 am

Given that someone called the Hynix saga "the second best kept secret", is this the third best, or has it replaced Hynix as the second best? Or are they twins?
How does a collector make sure they get a Micron Pi for their collection? Which source is using Micron?

Oh - and what are the differences between the various makes of memory, that have to be allowed for - and how many other makes of memory are there, that could be incompatible?

dom

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:35 am

Burngate wrote:Oh - and what are the differences between the various makes of memory, that have to be allowed for - and how many other makes of memory are there, that could be incompatible?
We need to use the data sheet for a specific sdram device and detect that device (from a manufacturer and device code) to detect size, and configure rows, columns and various timings.

Behind the scenes there are continuous negotiations going on for all the components that make the Pi. If a new sdram vendor comes in and offers to undercut the existing vendors,
or if lead times are too high, or volumes available are insufficient then using a new sdram device will be considered.

When a new sdram part is used, we need to update bootcode.bin and start.elf, as older firmware won't work on it.
We were under the belief that NOOBs and the other distributions supported the Micron sdram, but it seems a mistake was made on raspbian, which needs an update.

cboz718

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:08 pm

I have been having the same problem, however it is only with Raspbian. With NOOBS everything works perfectly fine, however I get the 8 flashes with Raspbian, and OpenELEC shows a splash screen but then nothing else(I still am investigating what I might have done wrong there) Really hope theres a fix for this...

drgeoff

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:46 am

cboz718 wrote:I have been having the same problem, however it is only with Raspbian. With NOOBS everything works perfectly fine, however I get the 8 flashes with Raspbian, and OpenELEC shows a splash screen but then nothing else(I still am investigating what I might have done wrong there) Really hope theres a fix for this...
Jamesh said in a recent post that there are now four memory suppliers. If the square chip in the centre of your board is not marked Samsung or Hynix or M(icron) then it looks like you have the newest memory which isn't yet supported by the firmware that comes with the Raspbian and OpenELEC versions you have.

If your chip is one of the three named above, ensure you have the latest available versions of the OSs.

giova001

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:48 am

I got a chinese rpi from RS too last month and still struggling in getting it to work ok: with the wheezy raspbian (which I installed on my UK made rpi ) it blinks 8 times and doesn't boot. A fresh wheezy image doesn't boot the same. With Noobs it does boot although it seems extremely slow and the cpu goes up to 100% trying to open google.com with midori (and never makes it!!!). Somehow it does open yhaoo.com after a painful wait. (I use a wifi dongle).

Now the (not) fun part is:
if I install the Noobs raspbian on the uk rpi with the same wifi dongle, I had no way to connect to the router! it keeps trying to get the ip and after few minutes the dongle gets quite warm and disappear from the list. Needless to say that on the wheezy raspbian everything is fine.
Any ideas?
Why is the wheezy raspbian not working on the chinese rpi? Why the noobs raspbian doesn't work out the dongle?

Versions used:
2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian.img #456
NOOBS_v1_3_2.zip #538

Neipho

Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:20 am

Hello,

Having same trouble with board NO. BM1320, Micron 3EAI8 D9QHN, tried all OS and various bootcode.bin, start.elf and fixup.dat none of then worked.

If anyone has a solution or working boot files i'll appreciate, thx ;) .

LarsKnudsen

Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:10 am

I forgot to mention - the board that seems to work has a production date: "1240", while the one that doesn't work has "1321"

UPDATE:
My original post was marked as a duplicate (dunno why). Anyway - in short - I have tried all kinds of combinations of SD cards and new distributions. I have even tried booting with the latest boot files from github. No combination works on my board with the version number "BS1321". It has a SAMSUNG chip on it and it always only does the 8-green blink cycle (infinite loop). Either the board is from a bad batch or there is a distribution/sd card combo that works I have not yet tried.

altairus

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:57 am

Who fixed the problem 8 flashes of the ACT LED, please write.

dieftoad

Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi,

Same issue here. I've been using my RPi since more than two years now, and it suddenly won't boot anymore.
I've tried all recent SDcard creation procedures (as i do usually using RaspBian + dd under Linux), and also with the latest NOOBS version, but none of these solution were successful.
I still have these 8 flashes, i fear that the SDRAM on my Pi is dead :/

Two questions:
1. Do you have any suggestions about more manipulations i should try before throwing the board to the trash?
2. And do you think it is still time for me to ask for a replacement? (i've performed two orders, one on Farnell, one on RScomponents)

Many thanks for your help.

PuppetHoundZ

Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm using the current Febuary 2nd Noobs release.

I was overclocking my raspberry pi to Turbo mode and started PRboom. It ran great in X windows. But when I logged out and started Prboom it started and gave a weird flicker and then I got 8 Act LED flashes. But it will reboot and run again. Should I lower my overclock or could it be current firmware?

I can provided my CPU serial number if needed. I just don't know if it's safe If I plan to buy the Mpeg2 Codecs.

Maybe it was a just a one time thing because I don't know if I can get it to do it again. I'll try and see and re-image again if it does it. :)

I haven't been able to reproduce the 8 Act LED blinking issue again, but surely it has to do with PRboom running in a custom resolution without X Windows. The second time I tried this the whole Pi Froze up. I'm going to try next with default clock tonight. So make sure that you use PRboom in X Windows and everything should be fine.

alphanumeric

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:47 pm

I had the same 8 blinks. I was trying to boot from a fresh Raspbian Wheezy image, I only had a 4 gig card handy at the time. I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't DOA. I just imaged a band new 8 gig Sandisk SD card with the latest Jessie image and it booted fine. If any of you are trying Wheezy, try Jessie instead.

Return to “Troubleshooting”