Johnnyabatti

Re: NOOBS RaspBMC and a kernel panic

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:00 pm

I should of phrased that better, it's still one single line just with some extra code. I have:

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rootfstype=ext4 noatime quiet rootwait loglevel=1 persistent-logs sdhci-bcm2708.enable_llm=1 dwc_otg.microframe_schedule=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fix_enable=1 persistent-logs zram.num_devices=2
I added the zram.num_devices=2 part myself to see if it did anything. Both my NOOBS and raspbmc are fresh installs.

QBall1977

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:28 am

This has reared it's ugly head again. Previously this fixed worked. However my RaspBMC trued updating, only to receive the Kernal Panic - not syncing: VFS: unabke to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,2). However this has the edited cmd.config file as previously mentioned pointing to the partition 06! Any suggestions? I thought it was just the heat!!!

Innos

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Johnnyabatti wrote:I am at a loss here. I edit cmdline.txt, but now I just get another kernel panic:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,6)

My cmdline.txt is almost identical to OP's, but with a few extra lines that were previously there.

Did I do something wrong?
Exact same problem here...

QBall1977

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Had this on two systems now. I suspect it's to do with the latest update of stable RaspBMC, both were based on NOOBS. It's a shame as the installs were working a treat! The auto update feature was turned on for both. Not nighty builds, just latest updates!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Johnnyabatti

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:03 am

I ended up just switching to openELEC, which worked without any problems.

maange

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:22 am

I'm a noob and figured this build of raspbmc would suit me perfect ;)
I experience the same problem with the update and kernel panic as described above.
I can't find any cmdline.txt in the root of my SD Card, and I don't have a keyboard to be able to boot by holding down shift on bootup.

How am I supposed to get my pi working? Should I install without internet connection, disabling "automatic update" somehow in the settings, and go with that for a while?

Ideas?

geraldw321

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:59 pm

hello there Well OK, i have the same problem after an update , the kernel panic , so i went and changed the file as stated here, but no luck i still get the error when it reboots .?? ive read a bunch of these posts about this problem ive been trying for days to get this too work . if this is a known issue why isnt it being addresses with a fix . im not a programmer , i cant do it . can someone point me too some older raspbmc install so i can get this running properly? im getting tired of reinstalling it over and over just too have the update trash it.

MichaelTunnell

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 pm

Thank you very much, @DougieLawson !

I joined this forum specifically to thank you for this fixed...I thought I might have bought the wrong SD card but thankfully that was not the case.

Once I made the correction the Pi booted up great...it had to reboot and update quite a few times but after that it worked great.

Thanks again.

paul_13089

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:39 pm

As above - joined the forum specifically to say thanks to @DougieLawson for the fix - worked a charm! And thanks to @MichaelTunnell for the heads-up on waiting out the 'update' messages...

I'm regularly amazed at how many people run into exactly the same problems I do (with so many things) and how a quick search on the Internet turns up answers from clever, generous people out there...

I just got my Raspberry Pi this week and I'm attempting to set up a media centre, so the NOOBS install seemed like the perfect solution. As described elsewhere, everything seemed to be going well until the update downloaded...

I was able to edit the cmdline.txt file in a Ubuntu install running under VMware on my Windows laptop - I couldn't find and edit the file on the SD card under Windows.

After making the edit, I popped the SD card back in the Pi and the thing started up again it all looked great - for a nanosecond. Then it flashed to a screen that said 'updating' something, but did not show any activity in the progress bar and appeared to be hung... It sat that way for several minutes. Eventually, after what seemed ages, error messages appeared at the bottom of the screen indicating something terminated with state xyz.

Not a very technical or accurate depiction, I'm afraid, but my point is this - if this happens to you, sit tight and don't panic... Per MichaelTunnell's post above, I let it ride.

Eventually, another screen came up, said it was updating something else; again no progress indicator and looked like it was hanging, then after several minutes 'terminated with state abc' messages. This repeated a few more times, but eventually the Pi booted successfully into Raspbmc and I'm back in business.

Thanks again all!

pfi

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:26 am

I had the same problem.

Here is the solution for noob NOOBS users.

After the Kernel Panic, go through the recovery process offline. No Ethernet, no wifi.

Disable the auto update of RaspBMC.

Reconnect to LAN. All is OK.

Someone will fix the bigger problem soon, meanwhile my RaspBMC works fine.

HT303

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:54 pm

pfi: Your suggestions w/re kernel panic are spot on. Thx so much.

ZoLO

Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Got the Kernel Panic Error.. did all above fixes.. but nothing works.. still kernel error.. just that it states ,6 instead of ,2 now ;(

pressing shift does not work.. still "unknown-block(179,6)" (or 2)

Any other idea, before i overwrite my RaspBMC?

Thanx

shabuboy

Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Same here... I do not have a unix system to mount the SD card to, "shift" won't work with my USB wireless keyboard.
However, I also get 179,6, not ,2 as most. I just built my system yesterday and 8 hrs later got the error

Complete message:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,6)

Any ideas?

Drakon76

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:14 pm

I was getting the Kernel Panic not syncing (179,6) as well.

I am using Raspbian (2013-7-26) and noticed when I tried to mount the card on my laptop (Mint 14) it gave me an error while trying to mount the 2gb partition.

I opened gParted and went to the offending partition and ran a "CHECK" on it and it mounts fine now.

Stuck it back in the Pi and it didn't give the Kernel Panic anymore.

I did not make any changes to the cmdline.txt

shabuboy

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:51 pm

I ended up formatting the card and using openelec/xbmc instead of Raspbmc.

Good so far for 4-5+ days.

I also decided to use berryboot, so I have Openelec and Raspbian installed as boot options.

SoS

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Every update the same...

SoS

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Come on... today the next update and the same shit again.
And now I'm not able to mount the smaller partition on my laptop.. so wtf?!

Can I manualy recreate this partition? Don't want to lose all my settings and that stuff..

casan9va

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:46 pm

Many thanks for your help!! :) I worked for me.

How it worked for me: put the SD card on the pc (windows 7) and find the cmdline.txt file, edit it and change mmcblk0p2 to mmcblk0p6 as suggested by the other users. Now put your SD card back into the RPi and boot it. It gives another error. Then I changed again from mmcblk0p6 to mmcblk0p2 and booted it again and now it works fine. It is stupid but it worked! :)

trumps2000

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:59 am

Add me to this list. Changing to p6 fixed it previously. This is has been frustrating I must have reinstalled and resetup this thing a dozen times over the past 1+ year.

Anyone figures out the cause please let me know!

SoS

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:09 pm

This thing is getting really annoying...
Next update, next kernel panic.

How did you access the right partition with windows7? It shows only the recovery partition for me..

enygren

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:29 pm

How were you all able to figure out that cmdline.txt had been messed up? What guided you there?
I am trying to get an Adafruit PiTFT screen to work in RaspBMC, following the instructions at this site: http://sernato.sk/2014/03/14/raspberry- ... itft-xbmc/

When I reboot using the newly compiled kernel I get the "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)" error. It is the first thing that shows up in the console and is then followed by other errors.

I'd like to know if there is a log somewhere that can point me towards what files need to be fixed.

Thanks,

-Eric A. Nygren

alvasalrey

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 pm

im sorry to revive such an old thread but just got a raspberry pi 2 brand new and was trying to install (not a lot of linux xp) but just in case it helps someone else i found that replacing the power supply for one more powerful did the trick for me was able to install raspbian successfully

RemPsyc

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,6). It happened after I tried restarting after unplugging the power cord because the Pi froze... I was not doing something in particular. I have Raspian on a B+ Pi.

I have read on other forums that it may be the SD card that got corrupted (after forced shutdown). Some have recommended to unmount or file system check (fsck). However, I have Windows 8, not Linux, installed on my laptop. Thus, I tried CHKDSK in command prompt but the analysis found no error (but it's possible that it only sees the recovery partition too). The other instructions/commands I read about are for linux. Any idea what to do in Windows then? Since the beginning of this thread (2013), has anyone find a hard fix at all yet?

Thanks

nayebifar

Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Johnnyabatti wrote:I am at a loss here. I edit cmdline.txt, but now I just get another kernel panic:

My cmdline.txt is almost identical to OP's, but with a few extra lines that were previously there.

Did I do something wrong?
Mine did too.
Did you find any answer to your question?

demonator

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:20 pm

If you are using 16 Gb sd card you can change cmdline file as much as you like I doubt it will work for you.
First of all the file you downloading from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ is not a zip file but img file (if you are Mac user). You have to put it on your sd card properly (just opening img on Mac Finder and drugging files to sdcard wont work)
You have to do it manually.
1. Plug in sdcard into your Mac.
2. Run df -h to locate the SD card's partition:
3. Unmount the partition (use diskutil unmountDisk and don't unmount with your mouse from a Finder):
4. While it's still unmounted, run sudo dd bs=1m if=/path/to/extracted/raspberry-pi-img.img of=/dev/rdiskn, replacing n with the N in /dev/diskNs1 from step 2. Make sure to write to /dev/rdiskN (the disk) and NOT /dev/diskNs1 (the partition), which is something else that causes the Resource busy error.
5. The SD card is now re-mounted and named boot!
6. Plug it in your Rasberry Pi and boot it up.
7. Enjoy

Return to “Troubleshooting”