DougieLawson

NOOBS RaspBMC and a kernel panic

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:28 pm

I downloaded the NOOBS zip, unzipped it on to a 4GB SD card (no troubles with that) as I wanted to try RaspBMC to see how it compares to OpenELEC (which I've been running for a few months).

Booted to the Noobs menu with no problems, booted into RaspBMC with no problems.

Then I configured RaspBMC to use my Edimax WiFi dongle, at that point it attempted to download the latest XBMC update and reboot the Pi.

It dies I get the RaspBMC logo and
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)

Pulled the power, booted my normal Raspbian SD card and mounted the Noobs SD card as /dev/sda sda1, sda2, sda5 and sda6. Ran a fsck on sda1, sda5 and sda6 and all are clean.

Has anyone else seen that kernel panic?
I'm assuming it's either the cmdline or config.txt that has taken a dive but I'm not sure how to check that (or fix it).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

DougieLawson

Re: NOOBS RaspBMC and a kernel panic

Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:26 am

I found the cmdline file that had the error. It's got:

Code: Select all

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 noatime quiet rootwait loglevel=1 persistent-logs zram.num_devices=2
When I change that to:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rootfstype=ext4 noatime quiet rootwait loglevel=1 persistent-logs zram.num_devices=2
then it all works OK.

So there's a bug in the raspbmc / xmbc update scripts, they need to know that the Noobs install of raspbmc installs the root filesystem on a logical partition (p6) not the second primary partition (p2).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

SoS

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Thank you for posting that.
I'm not a really linux pro, so I thought it was my fault. I formated the SD card already 4 times... always resulting in this kernel panic..
Good to know, it's not me..

So.. is there a way for a noob to fix that, or should I wait for them to fix it..

Thank you again!

-?!-

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi,

Thanks for posting this! I Googled around for the error and found lots of solutions using fsck. I was just about to try fsck and then I found your answer. Indeed after the update of RasBMC which was installed using NOOBS I got the same error. Just tried your solution, editing cmdline.txt. This worked like a charm, no problems at all.

@SoS
This is an easy noob fix, if you already have another machine with linux installed. Just put the SD card in the other machine open the small partition (mine was around 70MB, another one existed which was significantly larger). You will find the cmdline.txt file, change mmcblk0p2 to mmcblk0p6 as suggested by DougieLawson. Now put your SD card back into the RPi and boot it. This worked for me.

SoS

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:29 pm

You guys are my heros!
Thank you both!

lemonmeringue

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:45 pm

So what can those of us without another Linux installation do? If I wait for an update, will my Pi find that next time - or is stuck with this kernal panic until I re-flash?

telakk

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:55 am

Boot your pi up. Hold shift to go into recovery and edit the config file to read the same as the op's second config file

lemonmeringue

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've now tried that and the Pi boots as far as the logo in the top right, sticks on that for a few minutes, and then drops out to a black empty screen. I can type to the screen but it's not doing anything - no prompt for example.

Although I get the Hold Shift screen, it doesn't work any more so I can't get back to the mode of editing the config.

Anything else I can try before starting again? I have (I hope) an image of the SD card before changing the config (although sadly after the raspbmc update).

Grateful for any help,

James

underthesun

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:15 pm

That cmdline file change save the day! Many thanks for posting.

Rehevkor_

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:15 pm

I am stuck on this issue. I don't have access to any linux device other than the Raspberry Pi, which has been rendered unusable by this bug. I obviously can't get to a terminal or use SSH, so how can I edit this file on my SD card?

I've tried several ext file system tools and drivers for windows and none of them worked.

Tucker27

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 am

Only a theory but if you have a spare USB stick you could put a linux live install onto that, boot the Pi from it and edit the file that way. I've not tried but it should work.

jkallman

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 am

@Rehevkor_ You should just take your SD card and put it in your Mac or PC and edit the "cmdline.txt" file as stated above. It is in the root of the SD card.

@DougieLawson Thanks for the fix! So glad that I didn't have to figure this out on my own.

Tucker27

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:19 am

Anyone know why the recovery only works once?

Rehevkor_

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 pm

jkallman wrote:@Rehevkor_ You should just take your SD card and put it in your Mac or PC and edit the "cmdline.txt" file as stated above. It is in the root of the SD card.

@DougieLawson Thanks for the fix! So glad that I didn't have to figure this out on my own.
I tried creating/editing config files in the FAT32 partition of the SD card and it had no effect. XBMC never picked up the changes. This was the case with raspbmc and openelec. Changes are only picked up if I SSH to the device and remount /flash with write enabled and modify the files there.

Since raspbmc was completely hosed there was nothing I could do. I formatted the card and switched to openelec, which seems far more stable.

blachanc

Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:49 am

DougieLawson wrote:I found the cmdline file that had the error. It's got:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 noatime quiet rootwait loglevel=1 persistent-logs zram.num_devices=2
When I change that to:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p6 rootfstype=ext4 noatime quiet rootwait loglevel=1 persistent-logs zram.num_devices=2
then it all works OK.
telakk wrote:Boot your pi up. Hold shift to go into recovery and edit the config file to read the same as the op's second config file
wow,
that did the trick for me,
now it is downloading the new XBMC build...
I wonder if I should not have updated everything with wired internet instead of wifi...

well we shall see :-)

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Mazutti

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi, everyone!
I'm totally amateur on RPi stuff, I received mine yesterday.
I've installed Raspbmc through NOOBS (version 0.4.1) and after connecting it to the internet (tried via cable and wifi dongle) in order to install the subtitle Addon, an automatic update (Raspbmc Updater) began and after installing everything I got the Kernel Panic when the device rebooted.
It seems the same problem as op.
I'm using Windows 7 and I'd like to know how can I access the root of the SD Card to edit the cmdline.txt and have my Raspbmc working properly.
I thought it might be a good idea to format my SD card and install the Raspbmc without using NOOBS, I tried once but I got stuck on the "downloading" after running the installer...maybe I should try again...
Can you guys help me, please?!

Thanks =)

jharto

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:29 am

I'm having the exact issue as described above. ie. after trying to boot Rpi with internet plugged in, the raspbmc updater downloads/extracts etc. and then after reboot the kernal panic error comes up. When re-installing the image and starting up without the internet it works every time. However, i am wanting internet for some add-ons etc. Can anyone provide some direction?

jharto

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:25 am

-?!- wrote:change mmcblk0p2 to mmcblk0p6
May i also add that 'mmcblk0p6' was already under the command line and i still receive the kernal panic error after trying to boot with internet.

rwhite5279

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 pm

NOOBS isn't for noobs, maybe? ;)

Here was my experience:

0. Using Transcend 8 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS8GSDHC10E)
1. Used SDFormatter in OS X to format flash drive
2. Downloaded NOOBS_v1_2_1.zip, confirmed signature.
3. Double-clicked NOOBS zip to unzip, dragged files to flash drive
4. With HDMI plugged in, USB keyboard and mouse plugged in, powered up
5. Got colored screen, Shift menu, boot process, ending in kernel panic, including error message

no filesystem could mount root: ext4
6. cmdline.txt reads:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
7. Tried booting without keyboard and mouse, same result.
8. Followed instructions at http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup to download 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip
9. Double-clicked on download to expand zip file as 2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian.img
10. At command line, used

sudo dd bs=1m if=~/Desktop/2013-05-25-wheezy-raspbian.img of=/dev/disk1
to install Wheezy onto hard drive. Careful with this. Use

df -h
as instructed on page to identify address for your own device.

Raspbian now boots and I'm off to do some exploring! I'm kind of bummed that NOOBS didn't turn out to work as well as hoped. Not sure what the story is there...

kav

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 am

Just joined to post a thank you to the poster above for the fix. I bought a Pi with NOOBS and was getting the same kernel panic message when installing RaspBMC. The config file tweak worked a treat, so thanks for that. I'd have been lost trying to work that out for myself.

CyborgCygnus

Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 am

My keyboard doesn't work when I get this error so I can't boot into recovery mode to attempt a fix. I also tried editing the cmdline code with your code but I get the same error, I was wondering if there's a way to view the partitions from Ubuntu or Windows so I know what to change the partition numbers to as I'm using the network image directly from the raspbmc website (http://download.raspbmc.com/downloads/b ... ler.img.gz) & the partitions might be different on that. Regretting not storing my xbmc settings on dropbox & I regret not making a backup image of the original install, taking forever to install & update raspbmc now. This is the second time my pi has done this from fresh installs. Wondering if it was my usb hub with attached devices that is causing this problem, my pi was idling & just lost visuals whilst on the wireless dongle.

S13_Mills

Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 pm

The first fix proposed worked just fine for me, edited cmdline.txt from the recovery screen in NOOBS, the RPi updated and rebooted a few times, then ran just fine!

Thanks very much for the help, thought I was going to have to set my system up all over!!!

Johnnyabatti

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:18 am

I am at a loss here. I edit cmdline.txt, but now I just get another kernel panic:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,6)

My cmdline.txt is almost identical to OP's, but with a few extra lines that were previously there.

Did I do something wrong?

cracychickenman

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:47 am

Many thanks. I thought it was the SD card, then I got the same from another car. A bit odd this has not been fixed. Maybe it's a test!

itimpi

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:01 am

Johnnyabatti wrote: My cmdline.txt is almost identical to OP's, but with a few extra lines that were previously there.
I thought that cmdline.txt only ever contained a single line with all options on that line! The configuration file that normally contains multiple lines is config.txt which is used in a later part of the boot sequence.

Return to “Troubleshooting”