holmez

Pi beeps for no reason

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:39 pm

I have a small problem with my pi which has been ongoing, probably for a year now (since I got it).
When my pi is running for any length of time, it beeps for no reason.
Sometimes it will go a long time between beeping, other times not so long.
When it beeps, it is a single, constant beep lasting no more than a second.
This was occurring before when I was running raspbian, and is still happening even though I'm now running raspbmc. It doesn't seem to reboot when it beeps (and nothing visible seems to happen)
This is an earlier revision 1 pi (model B, 256Mb).
Temperature wise, it never gets much above 45C.

This is more of a nuisance then a problem (it occasionally makes my jump when it happens). I have tried searching on google (and on here) before, but only ever seem to pick up posts and threads about how to make the pi beep.

If anybody can come up with any suggestions as to why it happens, or even simply how to stop it, I would be most grateful.

ghans

Re: Pi beeps for no reason

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Are you sure that the Pi beeps and not a speaker or headphone
attached to it ? The Pi has no internal speaker at all !

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

redhawk

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:46 pm

The Pi has no speaker but obviously the TV does :)

Are you using HDMI or composite video + analogue audio??

Are the beeps always the same pitch and intensity??

Richard S.

holmez

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:19 pm

That's what I kept thinking.

But it only ever happens when the pi is switched on, and the only things connected to it are mouse, external HD, usb hub and psu. There is nothing connected to the line out, and although it is connected via hdmi to a tv, the tv is not switched to hdmi, and sometimes not even switched on.

I would say that the pitch is usually the same, but I think the intensity varies.

redhawk

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 pm

It could be your hard drive they can have a tendency to make weird noises and believe some external drives do have the ability to "beep" too.

Do you have a model number for your hard drive??

Richard S.

Return to “Troubleshooting”