somenewguy

first time SSH

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:42 pm

so I am running the latest ARCH on my raspi. despite having tons and tons and tons of spare electronics, I don't own a single USB keyboard. Honestly I am kind of impressed. anyway I plugged the raspi into my AP and tried to SSH into every IP i didn't recognize, none were the pi. I then plugged it into a tv and powered it up just to verify it was working, and it seemed fine, booted to a login screen super fast.
So then I plugged it directly into my router, and the usb into the computer sitting next to it. now the router has a green light corresponding to the plug it is installed in, and my router saw it as it turns up on the list of devices, although it's status is 'inactive' and I don't know exactly what that means. It does not respond to SSH attemps at root@192.168.1.7, and all pings to that address time out. I tried plugging it into my phone charger (high power USB source) and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Well then, what would you good folks say is my next step? I'll try to get a usb keyboard but dunno how lucky I'll get there. Oh and if you are unfamiliar, Arch documentation says SSH is enabled by default.

pichicken

Re: first time SSH

Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 pm

If I'm not wrong your router is correctly assigning an IP to your RasPi via DHCP, in this case 192.168.1.7 and it appears on your router under the list of connected DHCP clients, right?
Is the router or any other node enforcing some kind of filter which may block the packets from/to the Pi?
Could you post some details about the topology of your network?

Bye
The knowledge gained from a failure is more valuable than an immediate success.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:50 pm

somenewguy wrote: ...
It does not respond to SSH attemps at root@192.168.1.7, and all pings to that address time out.
Having only "dabbled briefly" with arch I can't help much but, on the basis of comments on SSH elsewhere in the forum, is it possible that, although arch has SSH enabled, it's configured to block root logins?
Trev.

Edit: Whoops! missed the bit about pings timing out - that suggests a network issue rather than the above.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's & P400. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

somenewguy

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:58 am

well I brought it to my cousins house and we plugged in a monitor and keyboard. it started up fine, but DHCPCD did not run on start-up. once we enabled that, voila things worked fine. Very very bizzare to me that that would not be enabled by default. Also he ran a system update before I could stop him, so I don't know for certain which fixed it, but it is happily working on my network now.

network-smart people, without DHCPCD starting/running/exectuting or whatever it is it does, does it make sense that the raspi told the router of its existance w/ it off, but did not "accept" or remember the ip address the router assigned to it, hence the router konwing about the raspi, but the raspi not knowing about the router?

problem solved, just looking to learn a bit more.

somenewguy

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:02 am

I guess to give you some newrok info, my interwebs is accessed like this:

dsl modem -> verizon router -> ethernet to raspi
verizon router -> wifi to a dd-wrt router -> my pc

was that what you were asking? I set the network up myself a year or two ago since the wireless card on my machine was spotty and I had two old pcs w/o wifi. I learned just enough to get the second router to act as a AP or bridge )I forget which is the right word( and have forgotten most of it since. fortunatly I can generally RTFM.

pichicken

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:41 am

It may be possible that your networking problems were caused by a problem in Arch's netctl package that was fixed some days ago. Of course I cannot be sure but that would explain why an update fixed it. Your network topology appears just fine.

Bye.
The knowledge gained from a failure is more valuable than an immediate success.

somenewguy

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:49 pm

I think I'll just settle for that explination. something something sleeping dogs etc.

Return to “Troubleshooting”