Wolfram23

Is my Pi toast? (yes!)

Sat May 25, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi guys. A while back my Pi stopped working. I figured it must be the SD card, then I got busy and only today managed to get back to trying it out again. The issue is that the red light comes on solid, and the green light is very faint. According the to troubleshooter, it seems like it's probably the SD card. However, I just did a few re-images with new installers and all, trying using both Linux and Windows install methods. Nothing worked. Then I noticed it looks like the Pi has a bit of damage. Here's some pictures, let me know what you think.

I have no idea what happened to it. I know a while back it was kind of thrown/dropped, but it worked fine for at least a month or two after that occured. At the time it actually quit working for me, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary had happened. I'm usually quite careful with my stuff too, so this really bothers me :x

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Is my Pi toast?

Sat May 25, 2013 10:42 pm

What damage do you mean? apart from diode D17 that seems to have been ripped from the board I don't see any real damage (not that you can see defects in electronic devices very easily unless its very obvious like a pothole in an IC).
The lack of D17 isn't an obvious show stopper, its function is to short the 5V supply if you apply more than 6V to the micro-USB, without it that protection is gone but if you didn't apply >5V power the PI should work still.

I see a bit of black near RG1, but that seems to be just ink.

A half-loose paper label also is not a cause for concern.

That D17 was ripped from the board seems to indicate that someone hasn't been very careful with it though! :twisted: It takes considerable force to do that.

Wolfram23

Sun May 26, 2013 4:15 am

D17 diode? Wow, that sucks... wonder how that happend :( Someone threw my Pi once, as I mentioned, but it just hit a wall then landed on carpet. I didn't think it was that bad, and it continued working afterwards so I just shrugged the incident off. Otherwise the Pi has basically either been on a table top or in my tupperware container for all it's electronics.

Anyway the specific point of interest in these pics is on the top side, where that black is, looks like there's a bit of copper showing. On the flip side, there appears to be a crack running from past R45 and through it, then through R46 and R47, almost to C95. You can click on the pics to see them in full size.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun May 26, 2013 4:46 am

If there is any physical damage I am having a real hard time finding it in the pics and I have spent about 10 minutes staring at them like an idiot :? .

The top reasons for this behaviour are usually bad contact between the card and the slot, bad power supply, bad sd card or bad sd reader/writer. Try blowing in the slot to make sure there are no foreign particles, check the voltage between tp1 and tp2 try a different sd card or try the same card in a different pi if you can.

Edit: Just realised that the forum wasn't displaying the full images and I had to click on them to see all the detail (doh). Yeah, that pi is messed up.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun May 26, 2013 4:50 am

Ah, D17 is indeed broken off, but the pi should work without it, it just becomes a lot more sensitive to bad power supplies.

MaxK1

Sun May 26, 2013 8:41 am

It appears as if several traces have been severed and the point of impact was right around R46. Appears you now have a set of "spare parts/connectors" for the replacement Pi :-)
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 26, 2013 2:17 pm

yes, now I see it. it seems the track running below the silkscreened R47 text has been severed, and its part of the SD-card interface, also the four tracks to the right of there, and whatever traces are internally in that area may be damaged. It seems that throwing the PI against a wall did do quite some more damage than just ripping off D17. :(

Its a dead PI :!: :cry:

MaxK1

Re: Is my Pi toast? (yes!)

Sun May 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Look on the bright side - It will probably be a rev 2 with 512M and mounting holes. So you can mount it in a shatter-proof case... ;-)
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

Wolfram23

Re: Is my Pi toast? (yes!)

Mon May 27, 2013 5:49 pm

MaxK1 wrote:Look on the bright side - It will probably be a rev 2 with 512M and mounting holes. So you can mount it in a shatter-proof case... ;-)
Haha yes! I will definitely be doing that, especially since it's going in my car.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I'll put in a new order.

Return to “Troubleshooting”