pingpong2012

Issues with new WIFI interface

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:18 pm

The new wifi interface does not let me connect to my university wifi.
Here is the connection page:

https://www.buffalo.edu/ubit/service-gu ... wi-fi.html

The new wifi gui does absolutely nothing when I click on the secure network. I can connect to the "unsecured" network just fine.

The only solution was to install the old wifi application (wpa_gui), and use that to manually set things. The new wifi application does not have any means of configuring a network. In my opinion it is absurd that the old client was not just hidden, but uninstalled in favor of one which both didn't work and wouldn't let me manually configure things.

DougieLawson

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:52 pm

READ THE BOTTOM OF THAT PAGE!!!!!
That University WebPage wrote:Still need help?
Contact the UBIT Help Center

Don't know your UBITName or password? Call 716-645-3542, visit one of our two walk-in locations, or send a message.
How hard is that?
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

robboz4

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:51 pm

I have further found out that I can only use WEP for security. I thought I had been connecting to my WPA2 network, but I hadn't. So any clues as to why I can't connect to my system with WPA2-Personal set for security?

DougieLawson

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Security choices like that are made by the folks who own the access point, not by the client connecting to it.

Whoever owns the AP doesn't care enough about your security or his/her network security. WEP can be cracked in seconds.
MQTT Evangelist

robboz4

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think I've cracked it now. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I found:

In the octopi-network.txt file if I use the WEP entry I don't put quotes around the name or the shared key.

iface wlan0 inet manual
wireless-essid Club-Robbo
wireless-key xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I use WPA I put the said in quotes but the shared key not in quotes...

iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-ssid "Club-Robbo-2"
wpa-psk xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I now have a connection on my WPA set up, which is what I wanted..

Does that make sense regarding to quote or not-to-quote?

Cheers

pingpong2012

Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:33 am

DougieLawson wrote:
READ THE BOTTOM OF THAT PAGE!!!!!
That University WebPage wrote:Still need help?
Contact the UBIT Help Center

Don't know your UBITName or password? Call 716-645-3542, visit one of our two walk-in locations, or send a message.
How hard is that?
The wifi client in Raspian Jessie simply can't connect to it, and there's no way to configure the network manually with it. All I need to connect is to install the wpa_gui, and then the Pi can connect to it.

DougieLawson

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:05 am

pingpong2012 wrote: The wifi client in Raspian Jessie simply can't connect to it, and there's no way to configure the network manually with it. All I need to connect is to install the wpa_gui, and then the Pi can connect to it.
Call your help desk, their job is to help you get connected, they know their network better than we ever can.
MQTT Evangelist

Bosse_B

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:54 am

pingpong2012 wrote: All I need to connect is to install the wpa_gui, and then the Pi can connect to it.
Do you mean by this that you:
- Installed wpa_gui (if so how?)
- Used it to configure the connections (again how was that done?)
I have Raspbian Jessie from the image (Nov 2015) and I have yet to find any GUI at all to configure networking.
In other Linux distributions there are always some System Configuration applications to use in order to properly configure networking and other similar things. Sorely missing in Raspbian Jessie...
I now see that there is a new image dated 2016-02-09...
How do I update my Jessie to this (non-destructively)?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Bosse_B

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Done upgrading to latest Jessie release Feb9, 2016.
Only difference I see is that right-clicking the WiFi network icon shows a new command:
"WiFi Networks (dhcpcdui) Settings"
This opens up a small control dialog called "Network Preferences" where "stuff" can be set once you select either interface or SSID.

But I have not used it to change anything since my configuration files and a cron script is currently configured to handle my WiFi needs.
As far as I can see there is still no way to disconnect from a connected WiFi SSID....
Bo Berglund
Sweden

donmerch

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:09 pm

New user here.

I can't seem to connect to my wireless network. I see the message wlan0:Not Associated when I hover over the icon.

I have a Raspi 2 board with latest install of Rasbpian Jessie (downloaded just a couple days ago). The wifi dongle is an Edimax EW-7811UN. I can see the network in the list and have a strong signal. I enter in the WEP password just as I do with any other device I've ever connected to my network but it doesn't connect.

I've read through most of this thread to no avail. I can see the usb device listed and I looked at a file in the /etc/wpa_supplicant and I see my ssid and password listed.

If I connect an ethernet cable it works fine.

Wondering if there are any other suggestions. Thanks.

donmerch

Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:49 am

I got it to work. Found this:

Edited wpa_supplicant.conf file to this...

network={
ssid="myssid"
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_key0=mywepkey
wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

gee182

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:30 pm

i noticed if i change what usb port i plug my wifi dongle into i get different results.
if i plug into the usb port next to the ethernet port and run "sudo iwlist wlan0 scan" i get like 5 or 6 results
but if plug into usb ports nearest the gpio pins i get no "no scan results".
i have no idea why this happens, if someone could explain?

pingpong2012

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:45 am

Bosse_B wrote:
pingpong2012 wrote: All I need to connect is to install the wpa_gui, and then the Pi can connect to it.
Do you mean by this that you:
- Installed wpa_gui (if so how?)
- Used it to configure the connections (again how was that done?)
I have Raspbian Jessie from the image (Nov 2015) and I have yet to find any GUI at all to configure networking.
In other Linux distributions there are always some System Configuration applications to use in order to properly configure networking and other similar things. Sorely missing in Raspbian Jessie...
I now see that there is a new image dated 2016-02-09...
How do I update my Jessie to this (non-destructively)?
I would suggest before anything, you use raspi-config to expand the partition. The initial partition does not have enough space to hold the updates.

First, I had to connect to an unsecure wifi (no password). If you can't do that, you have to connect with ethernet.

Second, apt-get update, and apt-get dist-upgrade. Reboot

Third, apt-get install wpa_gui. It will install.

I made a shortcut to it on my desktop. You can save a file named wpa_gui.desktop, with the following contents:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=WIFI
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/wpa_gui.xpm
Exec=/usr/sbin/wpa_gui
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Terminal=False
Categories=None;
4. Run wpa_gui. When you open it, you can close it and the panel icon will stay there.

5. Right click->Scan results->click "Scan", and then wait for the results. If it works, you can double click a network, and it will open a connect dialog.

6. Enter all your network information in. A simple wifi-n network might have a WPA2-Personal authentication with CCMP and a password. If that doesn't work try TKIP.

I'm pretty sure it if works, it will start connecting when you click ok. It should also remember your settings, so you don't have to run wpa_gui again when you reboot. If you find you do have to, in the main wpa_gui window there is a File menu, and you can click Save Configuration.

All of this depends on, of course, if your wifi adapter is detected and is supported. Many inexpensive adapters are.

Bosse_B

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:16 am

One question, since I do have my WiFi set up and working through manual editing of the supplicant file and using a cron script:
If I install wpa-gui, will it interfere with the stuff that is already configured such that it will stop working?
For instance will the current functionality of the WiFi/Networking icon on the "taskbar" in the GUI stop working?
Or do they co-exist peacefully?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

monupurohit

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:31 pm

Hello All,

Im facing issue with wifi configuration...

[email protected] ~ $ sudo lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp.

[email protected] ~ $ sudo lsmod
Module Size Used by
lirc_rpi 8602 0
lirc_dev 11060 1 lirc_rpi
rc_core 23581 1 lirc_dev
snd_bcm2835 22317 0
arc4 1972 2
mt7601u 87685 0
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s 7566 0
regmap_mmio 3556 1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
mac80211 622304 1 mt7601u
snd_soc_core 168662 1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
snd_compress 8809 1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm_dmaengine 5778 1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm 92581 3 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
joydev 9913 0
snd_seq 61957 0
snd_seq_device 5130 1 snd_seq
snd_timer 23454 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
cfg80211 499834 2 mac80211,mt7601u
rfkill 22491 1 cfg80211
evdev 11364 6
snd 68161 7 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_compress

[email protected] /etc/network $ sudo modprobe -a wifi
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod.c:554 kmod_search_moddep: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.1.13+/modules.dep.bin'

Checked /lib/modules/4.1.13+ got deleted.
Need help........

lincikg

Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello
I found an interesting thing: if you use a "-" in SSID name and you try to connect to the Wifi you can't do that, if instead of "-" write "_" sign, is ok. And encryption WEP or WPA does not matter here. More than a week I took pains until I found a solution
May be someone you know why this happened in Jessie version because Wheezy was ok.
How to fix this, because a lot of SSID used "-" sign?
Thank You

AnthonyS

Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Where did you get this driver, and how did you install it. Nothing works for me

Bosse_B

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:54 pm

AnthonyS wrote:Where did you get this driver, and how did you install it. Nothing works for me
You are asking without specifying anything. Don't expect a reply with a usable answer....
At least specify what your are referring to when asking this question, the crystal ball is a bit misty over here.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Bosse_B wrote:
AnthonyS wrote:Where did you get this driver, and how did you install it. Nothing works for me
You are asking without specifying anything. Don't expect a reply with a usable answer....
At least specify what your are referring to when asking this question, the crystal ball is a bit misty over here.
his somewhat more expansive question is here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=137618&p=913726#p913726

should delete his post as a doubler, but for now let it slip.

sx0

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:20 am

Hello.
I have ubuntu-server on RPi2. And WiFi based on RTL8188CUS.
I passed the checks at the beginning of this topic but WiFi only works if the wire is connected.
What could it be?

My conf:

Code: Select all

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
#wpa-ssid "Keenetic-1624"
#wpa-psk "nHkAKkzn"
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

sx0

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:35 am

it seems my problem was the certificate

Zagum

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:50 am

I'm having issues with the built in wifi on the Pi 3. This is on a BT Homehub 5 along with a Pi 1 and 2. All are on the 2.4Ghz network.

Most of the time when on wlan0 the Pi 3 can't be pinged from other machines (Pi/Win/Mac) on wifi and theres no route to host. Everything else on wifi can ping each other, and the problem Pi 3 can ping everything and be pinged from any other machine which has a wired connection.

If the wifi->wifi pings work (which is very intermittent) from other machines its like 500ms instead of a more normal 5ms.

If I disable the built-in wlan on the Pi3 and use a usb wifi adapter then all the problems stop. This is with the same TCP settings, same wifi config and a fully updated Jessie.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:09 am

Zagum wrote:I'm having issues with the built in wifi on the Pi 3. This is on a BT Homehub 5 along with a Pi 1 and 2. All are on the 2.4Ghz network.

Most of the time when on wlan0 the Pi 3 can't be pinged from other machines (Pi/Win/Mac) on wifi and theres no route to host. Everything else on wifi can ping each other, and the problem Pi 3 can ping everything and be pinged from any other machine which has a wired connection.

If the wifi->wifi pings work (which is very intermittent) from other machines its like 500ms instead of a more normal 5ms.

If I disable the built-in wlan on the Pi3 and use a usb wifi adapter then all the problems stop. This is with the same TCP settings, same wifi config and a fully updated Jessie.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Out of interest, which channel are you using, and have you tried setting your router to another channel?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

manawyrm

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:20 am

I'm having the same issues while using wifi on the new Rpi3.
The router is a TP-Link Archer C7 with OpenWRT (trunk), which works fine with every other device.

With the Pi I get very intermittent pings, sometimes 2-3ms, sometimes 1500 ms.
SSH is completly unusable, it hangs for a couple of seconds and then suddenly retransmitts all packets.

I do know such issues from other devices with SDIO-based wifi, specifically with the rtl8723bs-driver/chip.
The solution there was to add a whole lot of kernel patches: https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs/tree/master/patches
but those look x86 specific, so I haven't come around to testing them yet on a RPi.

Has anyone else had problems with intermittent wifi on the Pi3?

So long,
Tobias

Bosse_B

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:28 am

manawyrm wrote: Has anyone else had problems with intermittent wifi on the Pi3?
Probably not that many users here have had time to since the Pi3 release announcement was made just 2 days ago.
I also have seen that the foundation is working to bring the support for all hardware up-to-date.
So you might have to wait...
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Return to “Troubleshooting”