RobTP

Re: WiFi Issues ? Start here !

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:01 am

HI,

I have the same issue as reported: by jgangwisch » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:38 pm.

The difference is I am running raspbian Jessie march release; in my case there was a period of 2 weeks not using the rpi and founding out wireless interfaces were not found. Even took a brand new SD card with fresh raspbian -> same issue.
Also works ok with a wifi dongle.

Anybody ideas?
RobTP

pegasis

Wifi not connecting

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:42 am

I have updated my wifi, and I always have trouble getting the Rpi to connect once I update the login and key info.

The wpa_qui trys to connect, but it just keeps saying scanning.

Am I missing a setting in the dialogue box or something

I am trying top use WPA2 and TKIP key

pegasis

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:59 pm

GUI keeps trying a 4 way hand shake, but will NOT connect??

pegasis

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:57 pm

I get this error

Failed to enable network in wpa_supplicant configuration

Jimfromlyco

Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:51 am

I'm sure I will be yelled at for posting something that was already answered but I'm a bit of a novice when it come to raspberry pi and networking and reading through this post is a bit daunting. I have a raspberry pi 3 b and all of my firmware is up to date. I am able to connect my pi to a Verizon hotspot or an AT&T hotspot and browse the web however I have a tp-link archer c9 router that I am able to connect to but I am unable to browser the web. My pi shows that I am connected but I do not see the device in my connections when I log into my router. I called to-link support without any resolution. I'd appreciate any dumbed down help anyone could provide.

Thanks in advance

viru409

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:14 am

I connected my rpi2 with Ethernet cable without using external monitor. But when OS (Raspbian jessie) started wifi is not working. I tried to connect it through wifi stick but everytime it starts detecting the ethernet network. I want to connect the internet using wifi only.....

dchao99

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Jimfromlyco wrote:I'm sure I will be yelled at for posting something that was already answered but I'm a bit of a novice when it come to raspberry pi and networking and reading through this post is a bit daunting. I have a raspberry pi 3 b and all of my firmware is up to date. I am able to connect my pi to a Verizon hotspot or an AT&T hotspot and browse the web however I have a tp-link archer c9 router that I am able to connect to but I am unable to browser the web. My pi shows that I am connected but I do not see the device in my connections when I log into my router. I called to-link support without any resolution. I'd appreciate any dumbed down help anyone could provide.

Thanks in advance
On my Pi-3, the internal WiFi isn't very reliable if my router is on channel #11, it can connect to channel 11, but it is very sloooow and ping delays are very large. So check what channel your router is using

dchao99

Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 pm

viru409 wrote:I tried to connect it through wifi stick but everytime it starts detecting the ethernet network. I want to connect the internet using wifi only.....
What is the brand of WiFi dongle you are using?

hhoanganh

Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:47 am

I'm using TP Link 725N with Pi2. When the main wifi is off then on, my Pi2 cannot automatically reconnect. Is there any config i need to do to fix this ?

Pinoob785

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:37 am

Hey there - total noob to this and have very basic code knowledge

My pi 3 model b arrived yesterday setup went fine but it will not identify my wifirst - I'm trying to connect to the virgin media super hub but it won't see it. It will see everyone else's router / wifi on the street but won't identify the 1 that's actually in the house!

I've tried all of the suggestions listed here but nothing. Everytime I try to do the update / upgrade commands it bounces back as fail and to make sure ca-certificates are installed?

I'm not using a dongle I'm trying to connect to our hub. Although reading some articles online suggests I may be better off with a dongle - any help would be awesome

Noob.

DirkS

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:41 am

Pinoob785 wrote:My pi 3 model b arrived yesterday setup went fine but it will not identify my wifirst - I'm trying to connect to the virgin media super hub but it won't see it. It will see everyone else's router / wifi on the street but won't identify the 1 that's actually in the house!
Which channel does your AP use?
Did you change the Wifi country setting?

Pinoob785

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:29 am

DirkS wrote:
Pinoob785 wrote:My pi 3 model b arrived yesterday setup went fine but it will not identify my wifirst - I'm trying to connect to the virgin media super hub but it won't see it. It will see everyone else's router / wifi on the street but won't identify the 1 that's actually in the house!
Nit sure what channel it's on but yea I changed the country setting to GB

Ongelma

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:57 am

in my case every pi3 wifi issues i have had, have been because of the power source im using or the cable im using. The ones that were just almost perfect with pi2 and older ones are just carbage with pi3. No wonder there was also a psu release the same time with the pi3.

For example here: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... r-supplies
you can see the white one actually says "Official Raspberry Pi 3 Universal Power Supply. Not just "raspberry pi universal power supply but raspberry pi 3 universal power supply.

So blame the current not the pi.

Pinoob785

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Pinoob785 wrote:
DirkS wrote:
Nit sure what channel it's on but yea I changed the country setting to GB
Update: My wifi channel is 13 and I've tried all the ways suggested in this post and the only place it comes stuck is when I try to do sudo rpi-update - it days something about certificates

DirkS

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Pinoob785 wrote:Update: My wifi channel is 13 and I've tried all the ways suggested in this post and the only place it comes stuck is when I try to do sudo rpi-update - it days something about certificates
Is the date / time on your Pi correct?
IIRC this error can pop up when the date is too far off.

Pinoob785

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:52 am

DirkS wrote:
Pinoob785 wrote:Update: My wifi channel is 13 and I've tried all the ways suggested in this post and the only place it comes stuck is when I try to do sudo rpi-update - it days something about certificates
Is the date / time on your Pi correct?
IIRC this error can pop up when the date is too far off.
The timezone is set to London but the date hasn't been changed - not sure where to change that 1 lol

DirkS

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:31 am

Pinoob785 wrote:The timezone is set to London but the date hasn't been changed - not sure where to change that 1 lol
Use

Code: Select all

date -s
See

man date
or http://linux.die.net/man/1/date

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:36 pm

You will not be able to use WiFi channel 13 unless you successfully do the sudo BRANCH=next rpi-update. That is what fixes it.
I thought at one point that the fix had been released, so the BRANCH=next was no longer needed, but last I heard that was not the case.

What is the exact error message? Do you get the option to ignore it? (Not that you should do unless you know why it's happening.)

Pinoob785

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:10 am

rurwin wrote:
You will not be able to use WiFi channel 13 unless you successfully do the sudo BRANCH=next rpi-update. That is what fixes it.
I thought at one point that the fix had been released, so the BRANCH=next was no longer needed, but last I heard that was not the case.

What is the exact error message? Do you get the option to ignore it? (Not that you should do unless you know why it's happening.)
I get a message whenever I try to do the rpi-update that says failed make sure you have the right ca certificates installed and to check date and time - I tried the code DirkS suggested to do this but it says it needs a value...I'm in GB so I should be able to connect to 13

DirkS

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:15 am

Pinoob785 wrote:I tried the code DirkS suggested to do this but it says it needs a value...I'm in GB so I should be able to connect to 13
Try something like

sudo date -s "2016/04/29 10:15"

Pinoob785

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:20 pm

DirkS wrote:
Pinoob785 wrote:I tried the code DirkS suggested to do this but it says it needs a value...I'm in GB so I should be able to connect to 13
Try something like

*bangs head on desk* duh there's the value - in my defence I'm a blonde lol thanks I'll give it a shot

Pinoob785

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:29 am

Pinoob785 wrote:
DirkS wrote:
Try something like

*bangs head on desk* duh there's the value - in my defence I'm a blonde lol thanks I'll give it a shot
OK so that still doesn't work the error I get when I try to do rpi-update is this

could not resolve host: raw.gi thubusercontent.com

Failed to download update for rpi-update
Make sure you have ca-certificates installed and that the time is set correctly

I've set the time and date to the correct country etc but nothing - it keeps going on about ca-certificates

I downloaded the latest rasbian os from the pihut so it should be the most recent

DirkS

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:23 am

Pinoob785 wrote:I've set the time and date to the correct country etc but nothing - it keeps going on about ca-certificates

I downloaded the latest rasbian os from the pihut so it should be the most recent
Is the wired network connection of the Pi working?
Can you ping external sites

ping 8.8.8.8
ping google.com
Exactly what did you download? Can't remember seeing Raspbian downloads at the Pihut site.
What happens if you try to install ca-certificates (it should already be installed):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ca-certificates

Pinoob785

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 am

DirkS wrote:
Pinoob785 wrote:I've set the time and date to the correct country etc but nothing - it keeps going on about ca-certificates

Is the wired network connection of the Pi working?
Can you ping external sites

ping 8.8.8.8
ping google.com
Exactly what did you download? Can't remember seeing Raspbian downloads at the Pihut site.
What happens if you try to install ca-certificates (it should already be installed):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get 

I got confused I'm running retropie not raspbian - my other card is running raspbian and having the same issues

Ping returns 'icmp open socket: Operation not permitted'

As for ca-certificates I've updated them already and they say they're most recent 

Rpi-update doesn't work either keeps asking to check ca-certificates - have tried updating through curl -k which updates but still having issues

Pinoob785

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:00 am

UPDATE:

Have fixed the ping problem but still having issues

Thank you for all the help you are giving it is much appreciated

Return to “Troubleshooting”