Nate
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:37 pm

For whatever reason my Raspberry PI won't boot up. The first power supply I used only made the red power light come on. The second power supply I used made all the lights come on except the ok light. Idk what I'm doing wrong here so if someone can help me out I would really appreciate it.

DirkS
Posts: 10389
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:04 pm

A bit more info about your setup would help trying to find the problem...
Do you have a monitor plugged in? If yes, than how is it connected (hdmi, analog). Any other peripherals connected (mouse, keyboard, etc).
Which OS / distro are you trying to start?

gr.
Dirk.

drgeoff
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Is this a new RPi that you've never had working or is it one that did but now does not?

A ready made SD card or one that you wrote yourself?

Have you looked at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting ?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nate
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:08 pm

DirkS wrote:A bit more info about your setup would help trying to find the problem...
Do you have a monitor plugged in? If yes, than how is it connected (hdmi, analog). Any other peripherals connected (mouse, keyboard, etc).
Which OS / distro are you trying to start?

gr.
Dirk.
Yes I do have the monitor plugged in. It's connected by a vga to hdmi adapter. I have the mouse, keyboard, ethernet, and sound plugged into it.

Nate
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:09 pm

drgeoff wrote:Is this a new RPi that you've never had working or is it one that did but now does not?

A ready made SD card or one that you wrote yourself?

Have you looked at http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting ?
It's a new RPi that I've never had working. I formatted the SD card myself. Yes I have and I couldn't seem to find a fix for my issue.

drgeoff
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Which HDMI to VGA adapter?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nate
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:38 pm

drgeoff wrote:Which HDMI to VGA adapter?
This one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00827 ... UTF8&psc=1

DirkS
Posts: 10389
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Nate wrote:
drgeoff wrote:Which HDMI to VGA adapter?
This one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00827 ... UTF8&psc=1
Somebody apparently got it working with a Pi so that seems to be OK.

Going back to basics: you mention that the green OK (or ACT) LED is not on. Does it not come on at all? It should blink when starting up.
Do you have a network cable plugged in? If you unplug it all the Led's (apart from the red pwr led) should go out.

Gr
Dirk

Nate
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:59 pm

DirkS wrote:
Nate wrote:
drgeoff wrote:Which HDMI to VGA adapter?
This one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00827 ... UTF8&psc=1
Somebody apparently got it working with a Pi so that seems to be OK.

Going back to basics: you mention that the green OK (or ACT) LED is not on. Does it not come on at all? It should blink when starting up.
Do you have a network cable plugged in? If you unplug it all the Led's (apart from the red pwr led) should go out.

Gr
Dirk
Well for some reason now only the red power light is on with the Green Ok light blinking occasionally

drgeoff
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Despite what DirkS wrote, HDMI to VGA converters that need power from the RPi's HDMI socket are problemmatical. (eg http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&p=321807 and http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... rter_boxes.) I would suggest that you first get the RPi working with an HDMI monitor/TV or using the RPi's composite video output to feed the composite video input of a TV. When you have got that working then go back to trying the HDMI to VGA method.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nate
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:43 pm

drgeoff wrote:Despite what DirkS wrote, HDMI to VGA converters that need power from the RPi's HDMI socket are problemmatical. (eg http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&p=321807 and http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... rter_boxes.) I would suggest that you first get the RPi working with an HDMI monitor/TV or using the RPi's composite video output to feed the composite video input of a TV. When you have got that working then go back to trying the HDMI to VGA method.
Well I'm not quite sure how to hook it up to my old composite tv. I've plugged it in on both ends but nothing happens :/. Any advice?

User avatar
sdse78
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Nate wrote:
drgeoff wrote:Despite what DirkS wrote, HDMI to VGA converters that need power from the RPi's HDMI socket are problemmatical. (eg http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&p=321807 and http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... rter_boxes.) I would suggest that you first get the RPi working with an HDMI monitor/TV or using the RPi's composite video output to feed the composite video input of a TV. When you have got that working then go back to trying the HDMI to VGA method.
Well I'm not quite sure how to hook it up to my old composite tv. I've plugged it in on both ends but nothing happens :/. Any advice?
Can you elaborate a little more please?

DirkS
Posts: 10389
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Nate wrote:Well for some reason now only the red power light is on with the Green Ok light blinking occasionally
All the networking leds have gone out, which is exactly what I hoped for. OK blink is activity on the SD card. That means that your pi seems to be working, the problem is 'just' getting output to the monitor.

Gr.
Dirk.

DirkS
Posts: 10389
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:03 pm

I've plugged it in on both ends but nothing happens :/. Any advice?
If you know the details of your monitor you could try to find the necessary settings in the tables on the wiki (http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt#Video_mode_options).
Use the second table you see (DMT / hdmi_group2) and find a fitting entry.

Then add the following to the file config.txt on the SD card (can be done in Windows):

Code: Select all

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=xx
where xx is mode you found in the table. (BTW: if your monitor is not *too* old mode 16 should probably work)

Gr.
Dirk.

drgeoff
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:39 pm

DirkS wrote:
I've plugged it in on both ends but nothing happens :/. Any advice?
If you know the details of your monitor you could try to find the necessary settings in the tables on the wiki (http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt#Video_mode_options).
Use the second table you see (DMT / hdmi_group2) and find a fitting entry.

Then add the following to the file config.txt on the SD card (can be done in Windows):

Code: Select all

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=xx
where xx is mode you found in the table. (BTW: if your monitor is not *too* old mode 16 should probably work)
Gr.
Dirk.
All of that is irrelevant. The "I've plugged it in on both ends but nothing happens." applies to the composite input on his TV.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DirkS
Posts: 10389
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 pm

All of that is irrelevant. The "I've plugged it in on both ends but nothing happens." applies to the composite input on his TV.
Ok, then put the text 'use the monitor instead of the tv' before my suggestion...

gr.
Dirk.

drgeoff
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Nate wrote:Well I'm not quite sure how to hook it up to my old composite tv. I've plugged it in on both ends but nothing happens :/. Any advice?
I gather you are in the US so your TV won't have a SCART connector. On the front or side or back it will have a group of three RCA phono sockets probably coloured yellow, red and white. You connect the one labelled video (or yellow) to the RCA phono jack on the RPi. Make sure you have nothing plugged into the RPi's HDMI socket. Select the relevant AV input on the TV (most important if there are multiple AV inputs). Power up the RPi.

If still nothing and you are sure the cable and TV are OK (you can check with any video source such as DVD player/recorder, camcorder, games console, VCR etc) then the two most likely causes are:

1. You have not written the SD card properly. Check that you can see some files on it when you put it back in the computer you used to write it.

1. Your power supply is totally inadequate. See http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DirkS
Posts: 10389
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:41 pm

1. You have not written the SD card properly. Check that you can see some files on it when you put it back in the computer you used to write it.
Reading the diagnostics again that have been done so far I would say that's extremely unlikely.

gr.
Dirk.

User avatar
sdse78
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:42 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Nate wrote:Well I'm not quite sure how to hook it up to my old composite tv. I've plugged it in on both ends but nothing happens :/. Any advice?
I gather you are in the US so your TV won't have a SCART connector. On the front or side or back it will have a group of three RCA phono sockets probably coloured yellow, red and white. You connect the one labelled video (or yellow) to the RCA phono jack on the RPi. Make sure you have nothing plugged into the RPi's HDMI socket. Select the relevant AV input on the TV (most important if there are multiple AV inputs). Power up the RPi.

If still nothing and you are sure the cable and TV are OK (you can check with any video source such as DVD player/recorder, camcorder, games console, VCR etc) then the two most likely causes are:

1. You have not written the SD card properly. Check that you can see some files on it when you put it back in the computer you used to write it.

1. Your power supply is totally inadequate. See http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems.
Can you show me a picture of your cords please?

drgeoff
Posts: 10933
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:30 am

sdse78 wrote:Can you show me a picture of your cords please?
Who are you asking? And what cords do you want to see?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nate
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

Re: Raspberry Pi not working

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Well I think I've diagnosed the issue. I believe it's a problem with my VGA to HDMI adapter because whenever I tested each part one at a time the adapter always seemed to interfere with everything else. When I unplug it everything runs fine. So I guess I have to buy a different adapter unless anyone else has a way to fix this issue. The link to the adapter is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00827 ... UTF8&psc=1

Return to “Troubleshooting”