sjw7

Keyboard Issue with Windows Remote Desktop

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi all

I am very new to Linux and the Raspberry Pi but have hit a bit of a stumbling block straight away.

When i connect up the RPi to a monitor with USB keyboard and mouse everything is fine but when access it from Windows using Remote Desktop I end up with keyboard issues. I have checked all the settings and they are correct for a UK keyboard layout but some keys are swapped round. Instead of a # i get a \ plus several others. I am not even sure which keyboard layout it is using.

I have tried booting it up with the USB keyboard attached and the using remote desktop to connect to it but no joy.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how i can get the correct keyboard layout when using remote desktop I would be very gratefull.

Many thanks in advance

Simon

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Keyboard Issue with Windows Remote Desktop

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:21 pm

What type of "Remote Desktop" are you using (which program)? I normally use a PuTTY ssh terminal since that's available for both Windows & Linux (my netbook is dual-boot WindowsXP/Ubuntu). Whilst that tool supports X11 forwarding and thus allows a GUI app. on the Pi to display as a (separate) "X window" on the PC it's not the same as the "full desktop" of the Pi. For that you need a VNC server on the Pi and a client on the PC. Some examples of the latter approach can be found on the wiki at http://elinux.org/RPi_Guides. IIRC (I don't boot into XP much these days) both methods pass the "keycodes" as interpreted by Windows so, if Windows "thinks" you have a different layout to what you physically have it may pass on "wrong" codes to the Pi (which expects the layout you setup when connected directly).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

sjw7

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:15 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am just using the built in Remote Desktop Client on Windows 8 after following this guide to install xrdp (http://www.raspberrypiblog.com/2012/10/ ... -from.html)

I am going to try something else now though as was only using windows remote desktop for simplicity.

Cheers

Simon

Muffy

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:39 pm

I get exactly the same problem, logging on with RDP from Win7.
Fine with direct USB UK keyboard but not using RDP.

Muffy

scrumpycyder

Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi, did you manage to resolve this one?

thanks,

Nick

M5

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Just wanted to a big thank you ! RPi and windows 7 remote desktop works now! 8-)

Return to “Troubleshooting”