ppuskari

Possible fix to those with repeating keys on usb

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Just wanted to get it out there since I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere here.

If you know you have good power feeding your Pi and your usb keyboard is still throwing random extra repeats or generally uncontrollable. I happened upon a repeatable solution.

1. Make sure you have ssh running already and you know your ip address and login creds.
2. ssh to your pi and login as root or sudo bash to get root
3. dmesg | grep usb
4. Find your keyboard device id listed above. it will be similar to the form below..
5. echo -n "1-1.2.3" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/unbind
6. echo -n "1-1.2.3" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb/bind
7. Try typing on the keyboard and more than likely if it's not a power issue you no more repeats until next boot.

I happened upon this while reading a different forum post about how they got their keyboard to work by unplugging then plugging back in. That SOMETIMES refused to bind for me actually, but this method has worked for me 100% so far.

One step closer to closing the usb stack bugs.

lleb

Re: Possible fix to those with repeating keys on usb

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:50 pm

how to address this during install? Im installing the official raspbian OS as the store demands I only use that for testing my MPEG2 codec I purchased as It is not functioning properly under RaspBMC.

The installer, that is LOOSELY based on the Debian installer, is so old, clunky, and so 1990's that is bad enough, but when you are trying to enter any data and you get rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr or 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 flying across your screen, that is very discouraging.

It is not a power issue as I never have this problem in RaspBMC, nor did I have it while messing around with OpenELEC the other day. Same keyboard, same power adapter, same everything except the OS.

atm, not impressed with the "official" OS.

ppuskari

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:49 am

Well during install you MIGHT get lucky enough and be able to just pull the usb cable out of the pi or hub that your keyboard is using then wait a couple seconds, then plug it back in. It may correct the situation. More often than not however it will simply refuse to reconnect until a power cycle. Give it a try.

I'm hoping that DOM has the videocore EHCI usb driver stack finished up sometime that will hopefully bypass this mess entirely. How close are we to that?

I've had my play pi up and running solid now for nearly 2 days with no issues after using the unbind/bind method on the bad bootup repeats thing. My other pi is a headless server for IncrediblePBX and simh (Dec VAX simulation) and shairplay...

I've also had great success with a setup known as usbip (usb over ip) as well where I map and extra keyboard and mouse on another linux physical host machine to the pi and bind the usb devices over ip. Still doesn't solve boot time issues however.

Yeah, I went through 5 keyboards when I got my pi's in just to load the first debian el builds.. very frustrating.

Gomoto

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am

There is always:

kbdrate -r 2.0 -d 1000 (on the console)

xset -r (on the X Desktop)

available to the rescue.

(Thats a good enough workaround even when I have to use my problem Microsoft Arc Keyboard because my good keyboard is connected to some other box.)

ppuskari

Mon May 20, 2013 4:46 am

I haven't seen any updates in a long while. Had DOM continued/finished work on the EHCI usb replacement driver for the RasPi?? I was really excited to hear work of one utilizing the video core model.

Or has this been totally fixed with the 512mb model of the RasPI??

I would also be interested if anyone else has solved the issue possibly by utilizing the GPIO in a way with a driver and an offboard USB controller?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 20, 2013 8:31 am

The latest fixes to the USB driver (search for FIQ testing) have reportedly fixed a lot of keyboard repeat problems.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

drgeoff

Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 am

jamesh wrote:The latest fixes to the USB driver (search for FIQ testing) have reportedly fixed a lot of keyboard repeat problems.
No need to search. It is the first sticky at the top of the list of topics in this Troubleshooting section of the forum.

Return to “Troubleshooting”