BergOnTop

Reformat SD Card

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi,

once brought an Image to my SD Card I can not format it any more with my Windows 7 Enterprise.
How can I reuse my SD Cards again for WIndows ?

ThanXs

Martin

bfagioli

Re: Reformat SD Card

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:45 am

BergOnTop wrote:Hi,
once brought an Image to my SD Card I can not format it any more with my Windows 7 Enterprise.
How can I reuse my SD Cards again for WIndows ?
ThanXs
Martin
Do you mean the attempt to format fails or rather it succeeds but wont reclaim all the space?

If its the later maybe this link will help. It helped me :)
http://blogs.webguild.com/archive/2012/ ... dcard.aspx

waltd

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:50 am

I did the same thing. Here's how I did it.
In a Linux Ubuntu computer I used a handy partition utility program called GParted. This program is probably in many Linux distros. With GParted I deleted partitions on the SD Card and reformat the the SD Card to Fat32. This will wipe out all data on the card, delete all partitions and reformat the card to Fat32. Now the card is ready for Windows.

Cloudcentric

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 am

GParted have a Livve CD/USB for Windoze users http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.p ... livecd.php
I know everything about nothing"

drgeoff

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:57 am

See my post at http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 20#p164620. The second option is step by step for Windows XP. I expect that later versions of Windows have similar ones.

Or use the official SD card formatter at https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/.

isaias

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 am

I tried SD Formatter application and didn't work, you see the message that your SD card was successfully formatted and then I run the Win32DiskImager to download a new image to the SD card and also I get an OK message, but when I place my SD card into my RBP it doesn't work, no message in screen. I have tried with 2 different SD cards with no success. Same problem. I will appreciate for any help you can provide.

drgeoff

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:41 am

isaias wrote:I tried SD Formatter application and didn't work, you see the message that your SD card was successfully formatted and then I run the Win32DiskImager to download a new image to the SD card and also I get an OK message, but when I place my SD card into my RBP it doesn't work, no message in screen. I have tried with 2 different SD cards with no success. Same problem. I will appreciate for any help you can provide.
You need to discover which step is not working. Is the SD formatter really working or is something going wrong when you use Win32DiskImager? Use the SD formatter again and then test if you can read and write files to it using Windows applications.

isaias

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi drgeoff,
The step which is not working is using SDFormatter, however it works when i read and write some files in windows to the SD Card, for some reason the SD card is 56MB after formatting when the real size is 16GB. However, i already fixed my problem, I used a digital camera to format the SD card and now it is working OK. Thanks.

dasimpson

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 pm

only seing the 56mb is normal they rest of the space is a linux partition that windows can not see
when inserting the sd card make sure the read only switch is not moved and that the sd card present switch is shorted by the card if this switch isent connected it wont boot

drgeoff

Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:14 pm

isaias wrote:Hi drgeoff,
The step which is not working is using SDFormatter, however it works when i read and write some files in windows to the SD Card, for some reason the SD card is 56MB after formatting when the real size is 16GB. However, i already fixed my problem, I used a digital camera to format the SD card and now it is working OK. Thanks.
After using SDformatter the card should have a single partition which occupies the whole card. It is only after writing an RPi OS that the small (around 60 Mbyte partition) will appear.

gelfling6
Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, SOL-3, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 am

When I accidentally corrupted my 32GB SD card, I tried re-installing one of the older Raspbian ports, and it kept reporting not enough room on the card.. I later found, using Disk Utility under Ultimate Edition UBUNTU, that the card is partitioned off, and Windows only saw the 59MB FAT-32 portion, but couldn't alter the EXT4 partition. (no matter what I did, even under Computer management-removable drives under Windows-7 administrative commands.) result, I had to remove both partitions manually under Disk Utility, then re-formatting it, and re-partitioning it to a single FAT partition.. (I imagine a 4GB flash drive I have, which had a non-writable partition for utilities might be removable the same method.)

Once re-partitioned and formatted, it's 100% usable again under Windozer.. (but.. why?)

Ironic, I accidentally killed a KOBO e-Reader. (Original version, had the navigation pad on the lower-right corner.) When I stripped the device, I found a 2GB Micro-SD inside which had the main OS & stored eBooks. In an EXT2 partition! I was able to finally access it, and recover the purchased books, once I fed it to the desktop with the Disk Utility to mount & read the card.

pogggggggggg

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:37 pm

I find the quickest way to regain all of the space is BOOTICE

just open it, click parts manage, reformat USB disk, single partition mode.

press next, name it and your done. I have never have a problem.

Return to “Troubleshooting”