AbcD1234

D.Link DWA 131 WLAN/USB Adapter not working

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:24 pm

I bought the D-Link DWA 131 WLAN/USB Adapter because it was recommendet in the forum as "works out of the box" but it didn't.

When i print "ifconfig" there is no wlan0 given but when i make "lsusb" the Adapter is there with all the information.

I installed the firmware of the adapter like described here:
http://www.raspberrypi-tutorials.co.uk/ ... s-network/
but it still does not work.

I hope someone can help me to solve this problem.

AbcD1234

Re: D.Link DWA 131 WLAN/USB Adapter not working

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 am

I forgot to say that I use Raspbian "squeeze" if this is a problem.

Cloudcentric

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am

Raspbian "squeeze" is based of Debian 6, you would be better off with Raspbian "wheezy" which is based of Debian 7 testing

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads
I know everything about nothing"

AbcD1234

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:32 am

Ok I'm updating the OS.
I hope it works then.

Thanks for your help. :D

67comet

Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:44 am

Arrrg, I got this USB for the same reason that started this thread. It was supposed to be an easy go of it.

lsusb only gives that it's plugged in and that it's a d-link:
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2001:330d D-Link Corp.

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.

ifconfig
Just gives eth0 and lo with data.

I haven't tried any firmware installs, no wpa_supplicant stuff (I miss wireless-tools; seemed to work better) but I did try to install wicd; but it's broke along with wicd-gtk and wicd-deamon (they say they can't be installed).

My old Belkin USB worked well but it's also bigger than the RPi.

Help,
Thank you

(P.S.) I'm normally a *nix user, so I'm at home in the CLI (usually handle my RaspBMC, Raspian or Arch from SSH anyhow).

torbjornw

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Maybe it will not work as it is. 2001:330d should be mapped somewhere.
Looking in the current kernel source
linux-3.2.35/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/sw.c it supports
0x3307, 0x3308, 0x3309 and 0x330a, but not 0x330d.
I do not know if it would work if one just added a 0x330d line and built
a new kernel.
The dwa-131 that works is version A1 and you have B1?

Torbjörn W

kerra

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Anyone solved this? Got exactly the same issue, running DWA-131 rev B.

//Staffan

curtisa

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Agreed - it looks like rev B1 doesn't work and rev A1 works (I now have both)

thecommentator

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm

I _think_ the rev.B1 is based on the rtl8192su-gr: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/prod ... ProdID=231

I added the 2001:330d id to the current www.realtek.com.tw rtl8192su driver, built it for Intel X86, and can see that it recognizes the rev.B1 dongle when I plug it in, sets up the endpoints, etc., but the interface doesn't come UP. It would appear that Realtek has not released an updated Linux driver to handle the rev.B1.

Also, the D-Link support page asks if you have an A1 or B1. If the former, you are offered Windows or Linux driver links. If the latter, only a Windows driver.

(http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... loads=true)

grimjoey

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:38 pm

To anyone having issues with DWA-131 B1 (device ID 330d):

(Edit: Check bottom for compiled binary and additional information. This seems to be the simplest solution.)

I've added the device id to the driver and got it working. Until someone pulls my change into an official release you have to compile kernel modules yourselves. It's not that hard.

(Edit: The changed has been merged with the official source, and will be included in future releases.)

http://github.com/grimjoey/raspi-linux is the most recent kernel source with my change. I might not update this so in the future it will become outdated.

elinux.org has a guide on how to compile and install the kernel/modules (http://elinux.org/RPi_Kernel_Compilation).

I got wifi working using wpa_cli and this guide: http://superuser.com/questions/341102/h ... -conf-file

Edit: The elinux guide is slightly outdated it seems. These are the steps I used (if you're on a 64-bit linux you need to install 32-bit libraries: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs):

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/raspi-dev; cd ~/raspi-dev
mkdir modules
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/grimjoey/raspi-linux.git
git clone git://github.com/raspberrypi/tools
export CCPREFIX=~/raspi-dev/tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-gnueabihf-raspbian/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-
export MOD_INST=~/raspi-dev/modules
cd raspi-linux
make mrproper
scp [email protected][raspberrypi-ip-address]:/proc/config.gz ../
zcat ../config.gz ./.config
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} oldconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX}
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} modules
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} INSTALL_MOD_PATH=${MOD_INST} modules_install
Then I copied the kernel image (~/raspi-dev/raspi-linux/arch/arm/boot/Image) to the raspberry pi boot partition under the name kernel_new.img. Changed config.txt (boot partition) and added "kernel=kernel_new.img". Then I transfered the new modules. First delete or rename /lib/modules/3.6.11+ on the raspi, then copy ~/raspi-dev/modules/lib/modules/3.6.11+ to the raspi.

Edit:
Here's the compiled driver. You can try to unzip and copy it into /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8192cu replacing the old one (you should move or rename the old driver).

http://media.bitsequence.net/8192cu.zip

Additional information: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 70#p322870
Last edited by grimjoey on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DaSithDude

Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks VERY much grimjoey.
I had exactly the same problem with the B revision of the Wifi dongle. I downloaded the compiled module, replaced the original module, insmodded the thing and tada, i have a wlan0.
I'll spread the word if it's ok with you, because there are plenty of similar cases out there...

grimjoey

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 pm

DaSithDude wrote:Thanks VERY much grimjoey.
I had exactly the same problem with the B revision of the Wifi dongle. I downloaded the compiled module, replaced the original module, insmodded the thing and tada, i have a wlan0.
I'll spread the word if it's ok with you, because there are plenty of similar cases out there...
Sure, no problem. Also, it's nice to know that the module itself was all that's needed. Thanks for confirming that.

bchaikin

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 pm

The module above works great! thanks! I just wanted to add an additional tip to enable the module at system startup. The entire process is as follows after the above zip downloaded.

unzip 8192cu.zip
sudo cp 8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/net/wireless
cd /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/net/wireless
sudo insmod 8192cu.ko
At this point the wlan0 should come up and you can use the WiFi Config GUI to connect to to your wireless router.
To automatically load the module at boot time you'll need to modify the /etc/modules file as root:

sudo vi  /etc/modules
Finally add "8192cu" to the end of the file. My configuration now looks like this:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
# Parameters can be specified after the module name.

snd-bcm2835
8192cu
Hope this helps others!

Vkichline

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 pm

This works fine for me until I reboot.
If I have not edited /etc/modules, the insmod will fix it.
If I have edited /etc/modules, no wifi, and attempting insmod says that the file is already loaded.
Running wheezy, up-to-date.
Not a Linux expert.
So close...

grimjoey

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Vkichline wrote:This works fine for me until I reboot.
If I have not edited /etc/modules, the insmod will fix it.
If I have edited /etc/modules, no wifi, and attempting insmod says that the file is already loaded.
Running wheezy, up-to-date.
Not a Linux expert.
So close...
The module should load automatically based on detecting the usb device at boot (no need to modify /etc/modules). At least that's what my raspberry pi seems to be doing.

There's a file "modules.alias" which probably have to be updated/regenerated in addition to replacing the module. Im not sure how to do it manually, but if I recall correctly it will be generated at boot if deleted or moved. I don't remember exactly where it's located, but probably around /lib/modules somewhere (I'll check this when I can, and update this post).

Edit:
"modules.alias" resides in /lib/modules/[linux version].
Regenerate by running "sudo depmod".

someone

Tue May 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi,

[*]I've bought the DWA-131 rev B1 FW2.00
[*]I'm running RaspBMC on raspberry pi model B (512 Mo).
[*]I've tried a lot of things to make the dongle work but it does not. I've tried it on a regular computer just to see if it works and it does so the only problem is with the module itself.
[*]uname -a gives me 3.6.11
[*]lsusb gives me ID 2001:330d D-Link Corp.
[*]sudo apt-get install firmware-realtek is not the solution

So, according to me, it seems that I'm the 'almost' perfect candidate for the installation of your compiled driver (http://media.bitsequence.net/8192cu.zip)

After mv it to /lib/modules/3.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless, I've tried to insmod it but it tells me the following:
Error: could not insert module /lib/modules/3.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8192.ko: Invalid module format
Any help here ?

cavoknosig

Fri May 24, 2013 1:36 pm

thank you very much to all the contributors!
i'm quite the newbie to linux, but with a lot of it/windows/dos background.
the raspi brings quite the learning curve with it ;-)

here's the recap what worked for me (i suppose for all DWA131 HW Rev B users until the support comes with the standard packages) and using the X win desktop:

1. download the http://media.bitsequence.net/8192cu.zip either directly with the raspi or copy it to a usb stick and then copy it into the /home/pi directory using the file manager.
2. open a terminal window that should default to the correct directory.
3. enter the following commands

unzip 8192cu.zip
sudo cp 8192cu.ko /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/net/wireless
cd /lib/modules/3.6.11+/kernel/net/wireless
sudo insmod 8192cu.ko
sudo depmod
4. if not done recently do a

sudo apt-get update
and when this is done a

sudo apt-get upgrade
confirming overwrites etc... on the way.
5. then install the wicd package both for desktop and terminal use

sudo apt-get install wicd wicd-curses
again confirming any questions
6. then load in the desktop "Internet" -> "Wicd Network Manager"
7. when the window opens, click on the downward pointing arrow in the toolbar and go to settings.
8. make sure the wifi device is set to

wlan0
after that, it should simply be a matter of connecting/configuring to whatever wifi you try to.
hope that covers it without misleading tracks/steps.

someone

Fri May 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi,

thank you for the reply.
I have already done everything that you posted. Anyway, I'll try tonight your 8192cu.ko file.

According to your post, you're using 3.6.11+, but me, I'm using 3.6.11. Moreover, I don't have any X server since I'm not using raspbian but raspbmc.

The developer of Raspbmc told me today that we will soon have his distribution updated with the kernel 3.6.8, maybe this will fix my problem since it is reported that 3.6.11+ supports this dongle.

someone

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:12 am

The WiFi Dongle D-Link DWA131 is now working with the mid june 2013 raspbmc update (http://www.raspbmc.com/2013/06/raspbmcs ... fications/)

I moved the module shipped with the kernel in /lib/modules/3.6.11/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8192cu/8192cu.ko in /lib/modules/3.6.11/kernel/net/wireless/, then I added 8192cu in /etc/modules.
Please note that writing options rtl_power_mgt 0 in a file /etc/modules.8192cu.conf does not work, the kernel can't load the module because rtl_power_mgt doesn't seem to be recognized.

herriejr

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:27 am

I would just like to share my experiences.

Yesterday I bought a D-Link DWA-131 WIFI USB Dongle (Rev B1) and I was a bit concerned about it maybe not working after reading some posts.
I have a Raspberry Pi Model B (Rev 1) with a 16 GB SD-card and installed Raspbian Wheeze 2013-05 on it (by using Berryboot).

I plugged in the dongle, booted up my Pi, configured it using Wifi-Config (on the desktop) and that was all there was to it for me.

Then, I also installed wicd and configured the dongle as to automatically connect to my home wifi.

So far, so good. Still have to investigate the performance (seemed ok for installing updates, but I still have to investigate the performance for streaming SD/HD video to the Pi).

MrEngman

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm

The older 8192cu Realtek driver had a bug to do with channel selection and around April 10 was updated to use the newer version from Realtek. Unfortunately this new driver did not include the USB ID's for a couple of dongles which I think were, the Netgear WNA1000M and the D.Link DWA 131. The USB ID's not included were 0846:9041 and 2001:330d anyway so what ever dongles these referenced stopped working. These same ID's had not been included in the old driver originally added in to the RPi source but had been added at some stage in the past.

So with the Apr 10 update these two devices stopped working. The driver was updated to include the missing ID's around May 17 so allowing the devices to work again.

So stopped working with rev #408 3.6.11+ and resumed working again with #452 3.6.11+

Hope that explains why the wifi suddenly stopped working and has now resumed working if you've updated your kernel.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

asilrohit

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:10 pm

I followed all the steps in updating the driver in my kernel, but when i insmod the 8192.ko file, it returns an error. Just like "someone" had.
Please help me with this.

MrEngman

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:52 pm

asilrohit wrote:I followed all the steps in updating the driver in my kernel, but when i insmod the 8192.ko file, it returns an error. Just like "someone" had.
Please help me with this.
You do realise this thread is over a year old, don't you? Rather out of date now. And if you read my last post you will see it stopped working with #408 3.6.11+, Apr 10 2013, and was corrected and resumed working with #452 3.6.11+, 17 May 2013, so a long time ago and since then there should not be a problem.

To check why it may not be working can you post the output of commands uname -a and lsusb. These will give details of the OS you are using and the USB ID for your wifi so I can check which driver it should use. If it uses the original USB ID then the currently included driver should be OK. No need to fiddle with it. Also it would help if you post the contents of file /etc/network/interfaces.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

bbrik

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:28 am

I am having trouble with this wifi dongle on the latest Raspbian (2015-31-01).
lsusb output:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2001:330d D-Link Corp.
uname -a

Linux raspberrypi 3.18.5+ #744 PREEMPT Fri Jan 30 18:19:07 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux
I have no wlan0
Can anybody help?

Return to “Troubleshooting”