nicosalto

raspi-config first startup and keyboard problem

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi,

I installed the wheezy raspbian image onto an SD card to startup my new raspberry pie.
The bootup starts fine but when i arrive onto the raspi-config page, impossible to move or select anything with the keyboard.
My keyboard doesn't seem to be detected properly. When i push the caps lock button, no light starts up on the top right corner.
My usb keyboard is really standart and doesn't have any specific feature.

Does anyone got the issue by the past ?

Thanks
Nicolas

bfagioli

Re: raspi-config first startup and keyboard problem

Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:07 am

When you boot look for errors that indicate a keyboard error. Also turn the keyboard over and look at its power info. It should be 5v and ideally should be around 100 mA. Some keyboards have built in USB hubs and can require 1 or 1.5 A. If your keyboard draws more than 100 mA you should plug it into an externally powered USB hub instead of the Pi's USB port. Lastly, even if your keyboard says 100 mA try plugging it into an externally powered USB hub to see if that helps.

obcd

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:30 am

Keyboards with buildin hub's don't require 1A - 1.5A. The keyboard will only draw more current when devices are connected to those hub ports that request that current. Bus powered hubs (like what such hub + keyboard would be) allow a downsteam device to consume maximum 100mA The idea is that a 4 port hub would consume maximum 4 * 100mA + 100mA = 500mA which remains within usb standards.
Connecting a keyboard with a buildin hub is like connecting a hub and a normal keyboard to that hub. As some hubs don't work very well with the Pi, it's possible a keyboard + hub won't either.

nicosalto

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately i didn't found any keyboard compatible with the raspberry pie.
Do there a way to activate the ssh and the network before arriving to the raspi-config page ?
For the moment the pie doesn't show up on my network ...

drgeoff

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

nicosalto wrote:Do there a way to activate the ssh and the network before arriving to the raspi-config page ?
Raspian wheezy has ssh enabled by default. If your router has a DHCP enabled then it would appear that your RPi's ethernet is not working either. Non-working USB and ethernet often have a common cause. First suspect is your PSU. If you have a voltmeter use it as per http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... r_problems. If you don't have one or if you get low readings try another one. If your PSU consists of separate supply and a USB to micro-USB cable, many of the latter have very thin wires and lose too much voltage.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 pm

nicosalto wrote:Unfortunately i didn't found any keyboard compatible with the raspberry pie.
Do there a way to activate the ssh and the network before arriving to the raspi-config page ?
For a list of compatible keyboards etc. see the wiki at http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#USB_Keyboards (in my experience most "cheap and cheerful" wired USB keyboards work O.K. - it's the wireless ones with hubs, lights, bells, whistles ... :) that are "power hungry").
IIRC, Wheezy Raspbian has ssh enabled by default, and the wired LAN should get an IP address via DHCP from your router (a WiFi dongle/connection will require configuration). So, if you can log in to your router's admin webpage you should be able to find the Pi's currently assigned IP address and ssh into it. Whilst "raspi-config" normally runs once on "first boot" it can be re-run (as user pi) via "sudo raspi-config".
Trev.
Edit: "Pipped at the post" by drgeoff :)
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

drgeoff

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:39 pm

I may not have made it clear enough in my previous reply that until/unless the OP can ssh into the RPi he should not try fixing the keyboard problem by buying another keyboard. There is a good chance that the one he has is OK and the fault is elsewhere.

welsh1

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:52 pm

I have '2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian', a hdmi output and a network connection, I can ping the device when it is on the config page, but I cannot select enable ssh on the config page as I have no keyboard.
When I use putty to connect I get a connection refused message.
How can I set the device to have ssh enabled without having a keyboard installed? I can change anything on the sd card by attaching it to my computer.

Thanks

skidoobond

Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:26 am

It wouldn't hurt to try 2 things. Try connecting a powered USB hub into the RPi and then the keyboard into the hub. If that fails, borrow a keyboard from a friend (or other computer you have). Ensure the keyboard works with a PC as you expect. Repeat this for both USB ports on the RPi. If all this fails, I would suggest the RPi maybe faulty.

As far as setting up a RPi without a keyboard, you could get an SD card setup on a second RPi and use that image for the other RPi. I caution this as your original RPi should be detecting a basic USB keyboard without too much trouble.

Return to “Troubleshooting”