wireframe83x

omxplayer fails to play music after update

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:32 pm

This happened after omxplayer was updated when I ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. I'm using the Raspian "wheezy" distro. The command I usually use is this:

omxplayer -o hdmi filename.mp3

Usually, this will play any audio file just fine. After the update, now I get this error:

/usr/bin/omxplayer.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/omxplayer.bin: undefined symbol: vc_tv_get_display_state

On the command line, before starting the X server, this will result in me not seeing anything I type. After starting the X server, and trying this in a terminal, icons and part of the desktop wallpaper become blacked out until I move my mouse cursor over them. I have my pi connected to a TV via HDMI. Anyone with any ideas on how to fix this?

ski522

Re: omxplayer fails to play music after update

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Could always trying mplayer, should handle music fine, just not good with video since mplayer doesn't have access to the GPU API.

ratherDashing

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am

same thing happens to me. new omxplayer package is broken.

StefanR

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 pm

I get the same error when i try to start xbmc:
/usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin: undefined symbol: vc_tv_get_display_state
Please let me know when you solved the problem

ccedric

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 pm

juste do a firmware update, and it will work.

ratherDashing

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:00 pm

ccedric wrote:juste do a firmware update, and it will work.
while this will "fix" it, that isn't the solution to the problem. raspbian needs to pull the latest package and revert to the previous version until they decide to push the newest firmware.

eix

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 pm

From now on I will keep in mind that Raspbian != Debian in terms of package quality :cry:

eix

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:08 pm

did you try? I am asking because I did, and does not work either. I got an error about opening vchiq

And after that while trying to run another program I got a nice freeze with kernel dump, on bcm2835_audio_open (on sound card module snd_bcm2835)

These 2 problems are exactly what I experienced 2-3 weeks ago when trying to compile and run omxplayer, I also did a firmware update back then. So I am wondering if perhaps omxplayer package is just a half-baked package right now

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:51 pm

eix wrote:
did you try? I am asking because I did, and does not work either. I got an error about opening vchiq

And after that while trying to run another program I got a nice freeze with kernel dump, on bcm2835_audio_open (on sound card module snd_bcm2835)

These 2 problems are exactly what I experienced 2-3 weeks ago when trying to compile and run omxplayer, I also did a firmware update back then. So I am wondering if perhaps omxplayer package is just a half-baked package right now
I believe omxplayer (and apt-get firmware) will be updated soon to match the rpi-update firmware. For now build from omxplayer source, or use the deb file here:
http://omxplayer.sconde.net/

which will match the rpi-update firmware.

eix

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 pm

dom wrote:For now build from omxplayer source
I've gone that route a few weeks ago with the same results, do you have experience that the current omxplayer git will work with current firmware git? Because I have experience of the opposite..

For now I will just use older versions. Well, community should be about caring, so I am telling other people what's the best thing to do now: keep your old packages :)

dom

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 pm

eix wrote:I've gone that route a few weeks ago with the same results, do you have experience that the current omxplayer git will work with current firmware git?
Yes.

eix

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 am

dom wrote:
eix wrote:I've gone that route a few weeks ago with the same results, do you have experience that the current omxplayer git will work with current firmware git?
Yes.
In this case I must be doing something wrong. Both with skgsergio's and my compiled binaries, and of course current omxplayer deb package, I get:

Code: Select all

* failed to open vchiq instance
But I am done for today..maybe I'll give it another shot tomorrow

StefanR

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 am

Thanks, it worked for me!

dom

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 am

eix wrote:
dom wrote:
Yes.
In this case I must be doing something wrong. Both with skgsergio's and my compiled binaries, and of course current omxplayer deb package, I get:

* failed to open vchiq instance
But I am done for today..maybe I'll give it another shot tomorrow
What does "uname -a" and "vcgencmd version" return? I'm guessing something is out of date.

eix

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 pm

dom wrote:What does "uname -a" and "vcgencmd version" return? I'm guessing something is out of date.
For a while I thought it was my kernel, so I tried with 3.2.0-4-rpi #1 Debian 3.2.35-2+rpi1 armv6l and my own custom kernel, 3.2.27 (from raspberry kernel git)
Result of vcgencmd version is always:

VCHI initialization failed
:cry:

eix

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:02 am

By using strace I can see problem is on the device special file:

open("/dev/vchiq", O_RDWR)              = -1 ENOTCONN (Transport endpoint is not connected)
is it kernel or firmware to blame for this problem?

stupid_boy

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 am

problem is with your installation. VCHI MUST work in order to use omxplayer and not only.

eix

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:35 pm

stupid_boy wrote:problem is with your installation. VCHI MUST work in order to use omxplayer and not only.
sorry stupid_boy, but you are not adding anything to the discussion..obviously I know that VCHI should work, but I am reporting that it does not work and that instead everything worked fine before the omxplayer update

dom

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:56 pm

eix wrote:For a while I thought it was my kernel, so I tried with 3.2.0-4-rpi #1 Debian 3.2.35-2+rpi1 armv6l and my own custom kernel, 3.2.27 (from raspberry kernel git)

These are all non standard kernels. You will introduce vchiq compatability problems if you mix different versions of start.elf, kernel.img and /opt/vc/lib.

Can you run rpi-update to get latest start.elf, kernel.img and /opt/vc/lib?

eix

Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:49 pm

dom wrote:
eix wrote:For a while I thought it was my kernel, so I tried with 3.2.0-4-rpi #1 Debian 3.2.35-2+rpi1 armv6l and my own custom kernel, 3.2.27 (from raspberry kernel git)

These are all non standard kernels. You will introduce vchiq compatability problems if you mix different versions of start.elf, kernel.img and /opt/vc/lib.

Can you run rpi-update to get latest start.elf, kernel.img and /opt/vc/lib?
I was pretending that the kernel.img distributed in firmware repository was in-sync with the raspberry kernel from the other repository, but apparently it is not. Thanks for pointing this out, it indeed works when using that.

Do you know which repository/branch is that kernel.img built from?

stupid_boy

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:59 pm

eix wrote: sorry stupid_boy, but you are not adding anything to the discussion..obviously I know that VCHI should work, but I am reporting that it does not work and that instead everything worked fine before the omxplayer update
really? don't get me wrong, you mix kernels, including your own build in game, but only thing that break VCHI is omxplayer update??? are you serious? did you have an idea what VC is and what you are talking about?

you asked:
eix wrote:is it kernel or firmware to blame for this problem?

i give you the answer: your self! unfortunately you do not accept this answer and you are ready to be angry and hostile.

sorry.

KenT

Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:03 pm

I've done a few tests using the 16/12/2012 image updated with sudo apt-get upgrade

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ vcgencmd version
Oct 25 2012 16:37:21
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 346337 (release)

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ omxplayer Suits-short.mkv
file : Suits-short.mkv result 0 format matroska,webm audio streams 1 video streams 1 chapters 0 subtitles 1 length 33
/usr/bin/omxplayer.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/omxplayer.bin: undefined symbol: vc_tv_get_display_state

Screen fails to update and I cannot type into the terminal window. Opening a new one allows me to type.

type sudo rpi-update Result - bad command..... - thought rpi-update was now installed in the image, obviously not.

Install and reboot

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ vcgencmd version
Feb 7 2013 16:46:17
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 367974 (release)

omxplayer now plays the track BUT when it finishes leaves the screen near black, I can reveal the screen by painting with my mouse or by cancelling a shutdown (red button).

So it nearly works with new firmware
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

eix

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:43 am

stupid_boy wrote:
eix wrote: sorry stupid_boy, but you are not adding anything to the discussion..obviously I know that VCHI should work, but I am reporting that it does not work and that instead everything worked fine before the omxplayer update
really? don't get me wrong, you mix kernels, including your own build in game, but only thing that break VCHI is omxplayer update??? are you serious? did you have an idea what VC is and what you are talking about?
I bought Raspberry Pi and I am supporting the project for a very sound reason: learning and hacking, and the fun of it. So experimenting is unquestionably the reason why I am here, along with many other people. I really don't get why you take it personal and are changing the tone of the discussion, but obviously I will stop this argument now, just wanted to make it clear that it is not a crime to experiment and actually it is a very good thing, and one always has to keep humble and eager to learn. On the other hand your questions like "did you have an idea what VC is" are so wrong and offensive! Having written a few kernel drivers in the past and having read about the hardware specs, I can tell you: yes, I know what it is. But nonethless you just want to scare "newbies" with that type of questions. You get no karma points back for that ;)

If you read carefully, I am not complaining that omxplayer breaks, I am asking for support because obviously I wasn't able to see the reason: I assumed that the firmware git repo would contain the same kernel as the kernel git repo.
Maybe they do, and I used the wrong branch? All of these issues can happen, that's why I ask on forums, to check with more expert people and actually I am very glad when I read people like dom being able to build from sources because that's what I always do when I want to get better into the internals of a project :)
stupid_boy wrote:you asked:
eix wrote:is it kernel or firmware to blame for this problem?

i give you the answer: your self! unfortunately you do not accept this answer and you are ready to be angry and hostile.

sorry.
You can apply that reasoning to anything, not very useful again. Furthermore, it's not entirely 100% myself, see my above reply.
I know that there are supported and unsupported things, but (thanks to god) Raspberry Pi is not a sealed media box
Furthermore, who tells you that I am ready to be angry and hostile? I am so fine :D let's keep it all cool and nice and come along
have a nice day

stupid_boy

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:57 am

now problem is cleared. please accept my apologizes as i do not read behind the words. now i understand, i was wrong.

btw, i am here to learn too and do this all the time.

eix

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 am

stupid_boy wrote:now problem is cleared. please accept my apologizes as i do not read behind the words. now i understand, i was wrong.

btw, i am here to learn too and do this all the time.
All fine, no apologies needed! We've gone a bit off-topic now, sorry :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”